What did you have for dinner tonight?

Orson, you're right about the "hamburger", but supposedly it was because it came from the Hamburg region of Germany. At least that was the story I heard when I was young. It's just ground beef. Ham, of course, is from the hind quarter of the pig, either that shank or butt portion. Then you have Spam which is pork shoulder and ham ground pressed cooked, and canned.

The cartoon to which you refer is Popeye the Sailor. It has the character Wimpy who always promised to "Pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". I think the show was a plot to make kids eat spinach, but I didn't fall for the ruse. I couldn't get the stuff close enough to my mouth without gagging from the smell. When I was a kid, I could tell when the lady across the street was making spinach or kale. The wretched smell was everywhere!
Kale I can't stand but is supposed to be very good for you.

Spinach is ok. Just like any other green but not full of insects and grit like Kale and Broccoli. How did spinach give Popeye big muscles and why was his eyesight so bad because Olive Oil was nothing to fight over.

Soon. Going to have smoked pulled pork(wife likes it on a sandwich, no bread for me), homemade coleslaw, the real deal baked mac and cheese. Made a Carolina style vinegar based BBQ sauce, i'm thinking it needs a little more crushed pepper.

The new Kamado Joe ceramic lined grill/cooker was great. Was easy to maintain a consistent temperature of around 250F for many hours with never having to add coals. Actually it did not require a lot of chunk coal wood to begin with, and added a couple of chunks of hickory for flavor. They're a little pricey, and heavy(about 300 lbs I think, but with nice casters for mobility), but it gets my thumbs up. Next maybe steaks(burnt on the outside and still kicking on the inside), and I look forward to getting a pizza stone to give that a go.

I forgot to mention. A little slow on the uptake I quickly realized that I should have gotten started on that butt roast much earlier, like 4AM in the morning earlier. It was going to be a long wait for something to eat. So when I picked up the pork roast at the store I spied some Johnsonville Buffalo Bleu Brats....buffalo(hot wing flavored) sauce with bleu cheese inside. So once I got the butt roast going good I put those brats around the perimeter. They were in there for roughly 90 minutes until they turned a nice mahogany color and started to wrinkle a bit. Man, they. were. delicious. Hickory smoked. Probably a little biased, but they may have been the best sausages I have ever eaten.

That K'do Jo is going to be fun.

I picked up a 6-piece KFC Beyond Chicken (plant based) for an early dinner tonight.

They're only available in square nugget form right now, but other body-like parts are in the works. The taste is straight up original recipe KFC, without all the grease. The texture is very chicken-like, better than McD's. The coating is not a batter fry as used on real chicken, it's like a fine bread crumb coating. Good.

Mine tasted great, but right as I was chewing the last one I got this odd aftertaste that rang a "clam juice" bell in my brain. These are fried in the same oil as everything else, so they're not vegan friendly. Maybe that oil had some weird artifacts floating around which attached to my last nugget, accounting for the aftertaste.

I didn't use any of their dipping sauces because they would just cover up the taste.

Death to all tuna! :oops::laughings:

Hey Orson, are you the CEO of YUM Brands? :p
I am that. I love home produced nutritional food. You can stick most of your takeaway foods up your rear. You can actually make most of them better yourself and you know whats in them.

When I was younger I lived on takeaways. Now I would never touch them except for fish and chips from a descent chip shop. I have good reasons for this, but that is another days rattle.

Until then I will always buy the best and make the best. Yum....Yum!!!:-)

I picked up a 6-piece KFC Beyond Chicken (plant based) for an early dinner tonight.

They're only available in square nugget form right now, but other body-like parts are in the works. The taste is straight up original recipe KFC, without all the grease. The texture is very chicken-like, better than McD's. The coating is not a batter fry as used on real chicken, it's like a fine bread crumb coating. Good.

Mine tasted great, but right as I was chewing the last one I got this odd aftertaste that rang a "clam juice" bell in my brain. These are fried in the same oil as everything else, so they're not vegan friendly. Maybe that oil had some weird artifacts floating around which attached to my last nugget, accounting for the aftertaste.

I didn't use any of their dipping sauces because they would just cover up the taste.
All down to costs and being able to make a profit. Clean fresh cooking oil used to prepare 'your' food.......in your dreams.

Cooking oil in commercial premises can be recycled. Is it good or bad for you?......You should read up on it. But no place is going to use fresh oil just on your food. That oil could have been there all day cooking all kinds of food or maybe much longer? Who knows?

Forty years ago, I worked at a major Burger chain. I was in charge of maintaining the fryers. The old oil was bad enough, that got dumped into an underground tank for collection and recycling. The new "oil" came in large, white, solid blocks - like Crisco or lard. I have no idea what it was, and that was before all the trans fatty acid nightmares exploded in the news media.

Forty years ago, I worked at a major Burger chain. I was in charge of maintaining the fryers. The old oil was bad enough, that got dumped into an underground tank for collection and recycling. The new "oil" came in large, white, solid blocks - like Crisco or lard. I have no idea what it was, and that was before all the trans fatty acid nightmares exploded in the news media.
Yeah there is something to be said for good old beef and pork fat.

Here is something else you over paid Americans probably dont know about us impoverished Brits............Beef Dripping as it was known. Beef dripping was the fats and juices that had run out of a Sunday lunch roasted beef joint that had been cooked in a roasting tray. There was no cooking oil in the UK until about the mid 1970's, so all fat from cooking was kept in a handleless cup to be used to fry food. Reused and reused. It was rarely thrown out and used this way because it was cheaper than using fresh lard from the fridge and of course ........'waste not want not'........ was the rule in working class homes. Broken handleless cups also had their uses and were never thrown out.

But Beef Dripping was something else. A delicacy. After the Sunday lunch had cooked, the beef dripping was poured into a separate handleless cup to solidify. It would separate into brown black mush on the bottom and an off-white fatty substance on the top. Then for Sunday nights supper or a bedtime treat it was spread onto freshly sliced bread and relished by us kids as a luxury that was better than any chewed cardboard burger from any later burger joint. Beef dripping sandwiches were a common thing up until the mid 1970's.

Also if you can find them in the UK if you ever visit. Or even try this yourselves. The best potato chips/fries you will ever taste in your life are cooked in beef dripping. When heated the beef dripping returns to a liquid oily substance, but gives such a supreme taste to fried potato that it is something never to be missed before you peg it................which maybe not to long if you get addicted to this type of food.

Actually on this point there were not too many 'fatties' in the UK back in those days and we all lived on this type of food. Strange that isnt it?

Last edited:
At our company's pig roast , we would grab a slice of bread. Hold it against the skin of the cooking pig on the rotisserie. Get is nice and wet with sweat. Then place it above for a bit to toast. Mmmm-Mmmm good.

I also knew someone back in the 1980's who used to eat 'brains on toast'. He loved them. Apparently it was quite common at one time in the UK, but his parents were old school and fed their large family of young kids on same. My friend one of those kids was in his late 20's when I knew him then and he still ate them. Fried pig or sheeps brains on toast.

Do you have pork scratching's over there Beaky. Pork scratching's are the skin and underlying fat of pigs, cut up into 2"-3" pieces, deep fried in a big fryer. Then when cooled salt and seasoning is added.

They are totally addictive when eaten. It is hard to stop. It is as if your body craves the fat.

https://hairybarsnacks.com/recipes/how-to-make-pork-crackling-in-a-frying-pan/

Here we have Pork Rinds. Depending on the commercial brands, you can also get Pork Cracklings. Cracklings more crunchy, careful you don't break your teeth. I actually eat them a lot when drinking beer. Hot pepper flavor. Much of the fat has been cooked away. Unlike other fried snack foods like chips(crisps), there is no oil on your hands when you eat them. They're actually becoming somewhat popular for those who are following a low carb keto diet. Occasionally at a fair or such you might find fresh cooked.
Fried pig or sheeps brains on toast.

When I was a little kid sometimes my dad would have brains and eggs for breakfast. Pork brains. Of the kids I was the only one who would eat them. It's been a while, but as I recall they weren't bad. Those were different times, as a side with those brains & eggs there might be fried fatback. Basically the same thing you would make pork rinds out of, but sliced and fried like bacon. They still have (salted) fatback, but it's mostly used for seasoning things. Maybe a pot of beans....but not my beans, I don't want no fat in my beans...but that's another story I won't rehash.

Yes Mick I remember even until about 20 years ago the cheapest cut of pork was called 'bellydraft'. Dont ask me why it had that name but it was called that because it was very fatty, had a different flavour and wasn't very popular. It was also cut thicker than the other bacon/pork and uncured.

Now with a new name of belly pork or belly bacon it is up there with the rest and very popular.

Other working class foods or poor meats would be...........Pigs feet which are now a delicacy..............Brawn which was boiled and pressed pigs head meat..............Chitterlins which was pigs intestines cooked and chopped.

nld.jpeg

Ok. So. We've established this Prime Time Forum area is well populated with brain eating zombies. Which explains a lot of the behavior I'm seeing here. Can you say "bovine spongiform encephalopathy"? No. Of course you can't. That ability is in the part of the brain that's the first to go. Next is the part that prevents you from eating pork cracklins. It's an ugly slope.

We always used the roast beef drippings to make Yorkshire Pudding. A childhood addiction I insisted on at every holiday feast.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy is probably why nobody eats brains on toast anymore? I know that sheep can develop something similar. Pigs don't live long enough to develop it I think? Dunno?

Back