What comes first?

Hoodoomoo

Recently I've been getting into recording, i have some decent mics, a 6 channel ev mixer with phantom power, monitor speakers, etc. So recently i've recorded and it sounds ok but i was wondering, when recording instruments, which order do you do so in? Drums, guitar, bass, etc.? Also which software would you recommend for recording? I don't mind the price, right now I'm using Reaper which is working good but I would guess that if you pay for it, it's better right? Which do you prefer? Thanks!

Recently I've been getting into recording, i have some decent mics, a 6 channel ev mixer with phantom power, monitor speakers, etc. So recently i've recorded and it sounds ok but i was wondering, when recording instruments, which order do you do so in? Drums, guitar, bass, etc.? Also which software would you recommend for recording? I don't mind the price, right now I'm using Reaper which is working good but I would guess that if you pay for it, it's better right? Which do you prefer? Thanks!

Reaper is fully functional as a demo. It works on the honor system. You try it and if you like it, you pay for it.

No particular order for recording instruments. Whatever fits your workflow...

peace,

What exactly do you mean by an interface? Like a recording interface? If so I have that covered, I have a USB one and my mixer works as one as well

What exactly do you mean by an interface? Like a recording interface? If so I have that covered, I have a USB one and my mixer works as one as well

But are you limited to the number of individual channels that you can record to your computer at one time this way?

:cool:

The order is a matter of preference, I think.

I like to start with a click track and throw down some scratch rhythm guitar to it.
Then I come in with my drums (usually), then the bass and then the real rhythm's and a lead.
Last is vocals.

Somewhere in the midst is usually a beer too. :drunk:

Here's an interesting thread from February on this very topic. Of late, I've been experimenting with this because I've been getting friends that play things like clarinet and saxophones to do some stuff and while in the past I'd like to have at least guitar, bass, drums and any percussion down before any of the exotica comes in, this time round I've often just hummed their parts around the drum pattern (or in one case, using a clock as a metronome !) because my friends aren't always available so I have to take their contributions when I can. So I've been learning to be a little more flexible.

The order is a matter of preference, I think.

I like to start with a click track and throw down some scratch rhythm guitar to it.
Then I come in with my drums (usually), then the bass and then the real rhythm's and a lead.
Last is vocals.

Somewhere in the midst is usually a beer too. :drunk:

c'mon....let's be honest here. :D

I think that laying down the rythm section first like Dogbreath said, is the best way, because you need a foundation to build on. The way I start off is a pilot track with just click or a drum loop and guitar.
Software: depends on what works best for you. Some are easier to work with than others and Reaper's a good choice. Me, I'm a Samplitude fan.

You know. I always thought that it was the chicken that came first! :laughings:
I held off for 2 days but just had to post it.

:cool:

In all of the experience that I've had both being recorded and assisting with recordings, drum tracks were usually (about 95% of the time, I'd say) laid down first, usually followed by the bass tracks. After we had those tracks all buttoned up, we moved on to everything else.

But like people have been saying...it's all personal preference.

Back