what bit should i record with??

i have a couple options here i have to choose.

either 16 bit track record or 32 bit.
and
pre mixing 16 or 32

whats best?

Possibly because there hardware doesn't support 24. There are many others possiblities why you might use 16. But I believe you got your info wrong not many folks are using 16 at the recording stage unless that's all they can record at. You want to record at the highest bit rate possible. Now the word lenght is a differant controversial thing all together.

pod4477 said:
i have a couple options here i have to choose.

either 16 bit track record or 32 bit.
and
pre mixing 16 or 32

whats best?

32 bit float gives you more quanta levels which equals more headroom.

I'm not sure why they would have a "pre mixing bit rate". You may want to check the manual on that one.

ya same here, thanx for your help man it helped alot. I was needing this info because what im doing is i have a drum machine on a multitrack recorder and im taking each drum apart and recording it onto cool edit. Crap load of work haha hours and hours but worth it.

is there anything i can do to make some of the guitars i already recorded higher bitrate? i know stupid question but im curious lol

pod4477 said:
is there anything i can do to make some of the guitars i already recorded higher bitrate? i know stupid question but im curious lol

Hi Pod....
please direct this question to the Cool Edit folks, at their forum.
Your questions are great, and I'm sure you'll get a more 'focused' discussion over there!!
See ya there bro!!...I'll (we'll) be then too happy to help you!!

PS..whenever you see a '32 bit' option in CEP, tick that box!!
You''ll then convert to 16 bit for your CD's.!!

See you over there!! :)

Regards,
Superspit.

o sick i didnt know you had one. WHat do you mean youll then convert to 16 bit for my cds? you mean the mixdown?

pod4477 said:
o sick i didnt know you had one. WHat do you mean youll then convert to 16 bit for my cds? you mean the mixdown?

Yes Pod....for final mixdown to AUDIO CD.
See cool edit forum! I answered your other questions over there.

Not sure if he's going to be too happy when he figures out recording in 32 bit is a waste of storage memory. Recording in 24 bit is all he needs.

NYMorningstar said:
Not sure if he's going to be too happy when he figures out recording in 32 bit is a waste of storage memory. Recording in 24 bit is all he needs.

Hi............
please read...
He is using CEP!!.......there is no '24 bit' box to check!! (only 16 and 32)
As far as the "quality versus storage space" arguement is concerned, I'll let someone else take care of that!!
All the best to you NY!!
Cheers, :)
Superspit.

superspit said:
Hi............
please read...
He is using CEP!!.......there is no '24 bit' box to check!! (only 16 and 32)
As far as the "quality versus storage space" arguement is concerned, I'll let someone else take care of that!!
All the best to you NY!!
Cheers, :)
Superspit.
please read...?

Maybe you need to read my signature?

Not only is recording in 32 bit a waste but you shouldn't be using CEP to record, it's an editor.

Back