Weird problem with Tascam Tsr8 No signal all channels

Sidd95

Hey guys. I’m new here. I have a Tascam Tsr8. I took off the front panel to make sure the belt was ok. When I put it back on I have no input signal, no playback, and no vu activity on all channels. Does anyone know what might be going on? Everything else is operating normal.

Could the display portion just not be connected properly? I'd open it back up and just have a good, slow, look 'round to see if something was crimped, cut, or wiggled loose.

Thanks. Yeah I opened it up and everything looks good from what I see. Whatever came loose I can’t find it or hopefully it’s nothing worse. Will take to a tech this week.
Attached are some pics if that helps666D7EC7-4AA7-4FFB-8772-C8293D7B520F.jpegEC24D6BC-4D83-4D72-94A2-D6223501A0D6.jpeg1C04AA20-8909-4ABB-992D-F2274CA31A38.jpeg.

Attachments

• D36B7ECC-E210-48FB-A7E4-57C9F118C93D.jpeg
    D36B7ECC-E210-48FB-A7E4-57C9F118C93D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
I’m not familiar with the guts of this machine, but in the bottom right hand corner that 4 wire plug going to the small board looks off.,

I’m not familiar with the guts of this machine, but in the bottom right hand corner that 4 wire plug going to the small board looks off.,

I think that's just the perspective. Also, that's the sensor board for the counter/tach roller so it's unlikely to affect the meter panel.

Check the fuses, I believe there's one for the whole audio subsystem. If it has blown and the replacement immediately blows again, get a multimeter and see if you can figure out where it's shorting to ground.

Last edited:
Can the tech repair it? Needs some new capacitors maybe?
Yeah I think it was something like that. Already repaired! I can find out more. Unfortunately, I don’t have all the tools to deal with voltage so would’ve not been able to fix it on my own.

Glad to hear you're in good shape! I'm always looking for a good tech. Where are you, and who did you use?

Do they fix things that arrive by mail? :)

Glad to hear you're in good shape! I'm always looking for a good tech. Where are you, and who did you use?

Do they fix things that arrive by mail? :)
Hi, if you need a tech I can give you his name by message. He's near Los Angeles, to my knowledge he doesn't fix things by mail. Fortunately he had the parts, I brought some parts, and others could be fixed. The lack of signal ended up being the transistors and the p.s. reg. on the power supply. Also fuses f1 and f2 had to be replaced. There were other minor things he was able to repair to bring back to factory spec. The lesson in this was, always go to a good tech if you have one. I was nervous, but actually got it done at a really fair rate. Less than what it would've been if I would've bought replacement parts on ebay and tried to fix it myself. Also he was able to find little things that could cause an issue down the line and repair those.
Also found out Tascam still makes some of these parts if you call them directly for their 80s tape machines, surprisingly. They charge less for new parts than auction sites do for used ones.
Good luck everybody!

Back