Wavelabs - save with effects and levels

downatone

Hi there,
I have a feeling this is a complete idiotic question - pride aside - I'm struggling with WaveLabs. I recently finished recoding songs in cubase and after some research decided upon WaveLabs as my choice for mastering.

In cubase when I apply plugins, adjust levels, etc... and export as a wave it picks up all the plugins without a problem. I've imported this wave into WaveLabs and applied a few plugins which sweetens and boosts the rms level so its volume is a little more on par. I then save the wave file (in a different folder).

Heres the problem, when I listen to the wave export from cubase (original) and that from wavelabs (mastered) they sound identical. The one from wavelabs should be at least 25% louder and sound better - but when compared side by side through an outside player (ie. wmp, itunes) - there is no difference.

Am I missing something?

cheers
:: downatone ::

YOu are missing the 'render' button underneath the plugin slots, meters and dithering. You have to render the file with the plugins, then save it.

All this is explained in the manual.

What you want to do is burn both files to a cd and then take them to your car and listen. My guess is you will hear the difference there. It may be possible that the software you are playing them on now is normaliziong the volume for you and making them equal.

PS. I suck at guessing :)

PS. I suck at guessing

Thats ok, I suck at assuming ... I figured both Steinberg's products would have the same logic ...

Thanks rendering obviously worked, not sure how I missed it.

cheers

YOu are missing the 'render' button underneath the plugin slots, meters and dithering. You have to render the file with the plugins, then save it.

All this is explained in the manual.

Dito.
You need to push RENDER button.
Then save it.

Wavelabs way of saving files is a bit different from usual IMO. Youl get the hang of it soon enough.

Eck

Thats ok, I suck at assuming ... I figured both Steinberg's products would have the same logic ...

Thanks rendering obviously worked, not sure how I missed it.

cheers
They do have the same logic. In cubase, you are mixing down or rendering the mix. That's not the same as saving the file. In wavelab, you are just listening to the file through the plugins until you hit render.

When you burn a montage to a CD in wavelab, you are running the whole montage through the plugins on the way to the CD. That's pretty cool because you don't have to actually process the files themselves (and save extra copies, etc...) while still being able to master to CD.

Back