want to record on computer, what do i need?

dvon1981

I know i know very broad question but to be honest i have very little experience and want to start recording our band. I'm going to get a new laptop. Its looking like a 1ghz iBook with 640mb ram and 60gb HD is that an ok choice for music recording? alright now that that is taken care of what are the basics i need to get us started so we can make some demo cd's? thanks very much in advance for anyone who can help. I really don't know where to start with this.

What is your budget?
Will you be recording direct or do you want to mike the amps of your band?
How many tracks will you need?

You'll need:
- a decent soundcard
- recording software
- a preamp
- mics and cables

You're gonna have to narrow your question down... :)

Laynestaley said:
What is your budget?
Will you be recording direct or do you want to mike the amps of your band?
How many tracks will you need?

You'll need:
- a decent soundcard
- recording software
- a preamp
- mics and cables

You're gonna have to narrow your question down... :)

ok the band has...
piano,bass,2 guitars,drums,vocals. we have some mics(not sure what kind right now our singer is taking care of that. so i guess my questions are

1. what kind of soundcard do i need for an iBook?
2. What kind of software is not too difficult to learn but delivers good quality.
3. what is the function of the preamp when recording with a computer?
4. is the g4 iBook a good choice for recording?

i know these are very newbie questions but i am reallu starting from nothing. as far as the budget goes inexpensive is good(we are college students) but i don't want to sacrifice too much sound quality so i will pay where i have to. i appreciate the help so far. hopefuly with more response i can give more specific questions.

Doesn't the iBook have a built in sound card?

It may be crap, but you can try it out to start with. No point in buying stuff if you don't know you need it.

so what do i need to input the mics into the iBook in seperate tracks? i assume there must be something that uses usb or firewire?

Back