Wanna buy a cheap bass, any recommendations on Yamaha, Epiphone, Squier & Ibanez?

That is a nice looking bass. Never heard of a Tanglewood before. Is it possible to try one out at a store?

I heard nice things about Peavey's. I know DogBreath bought one about 6 months ago. Maybe it was a higher-priced model.

Don't fret over it too much. You'll find something in your price range and you'll like it because it wil lbe your first. Then eventually, when you have more money or more desire, you'll upgrade and you'll have a better idea of what you want.

That is a nice looking bass. Never heard of a Tanglewood before. Is it possible to try one out at a store?

I heard nice things about Peavey's. I know DogBreath bought one about 6 months ago. Maybe it was a higher-priced model.

Don't fret over it too much. You'll find something in your price range and you'll like it because it wil lbe your first. Then eventually, when you have more money or more desire, you'll upgrade and you'll have a better idea of what you want.

Tanglewood are a British commission and distribute brand started around '05. They are decent for the price band but no world beaters. Solid enough in comparison to the competition. Like most at that end of the market they are let down by cheap pickups and less than stella hardware. A good setup and possibly swapping out the p/ups and you have a decent bass.

If I was after a distinctive bass in a tight budget I'd be looking for an old Westone and set it up right.

Oh yeah, that is pure badass. I just got a tingle in my happy place.

I only have a few guitars I didn't make myself and I have shit loads of wood and string hanging about but that would have a place on the bandstand anyday... Really want to make myself one just like it. One day I may have the time.

I only have a few guitars I didn't make myself and I have shit loads of wood and string hanging about but that would have a place on the bandstand anyday... Really want to make myself one just like it. One day I may have the time.

Do it. The guy that made my Hallmark 60 Custom Mosrite clone makes 60 Custom basses now, and I'm wanting one bad.

100_3675.jpg

I may well look into it. I'd need to get some dimensions and a basic spec but that shouldn't be too hard.

Loving the colour of that one...

Any way enough of derailing this thread.....:o

I have a few headless yamaha's that I really, really like a lot.

Look for some of those on evilbay.

HERE are some pictures of what to look for.

What's a channel strip? You think I can plug the bass into my guitar vamp? I was going to try that anyway of course...simple is not only good, it's the best.

One of these Mindprint Envoice - bought it before I really understood what I was doing and how little difference it would make, and I liked the little glowing tube, which really doesn't actuallly do much ... just an analogue combo preamp / compressor / eq device - sort of meant to be your "gold" vocal channel back like a single channel of a really good mixing board - hence "channel strip"... I have an idea Chili has one of these too...

Still use it for bass DI-ing though... bit of compression on the way in deals with some of the dynamics that can get out of control. A better bass player would control them but I only haul the thing out when recording... newer strings would probably help too! :D I've actually bought some, just haven't put them on yet....

You'll find when you get it that you'll probably get particular notes that resonate much more loudly than others - part of the challenge of bass recording... for me, anyway... happy shopping!:D

I have an idea Chili has one of these too...

Nope, never seen one of those. I like all the lights. I used to use a focusrite platinum twintrack mic pre. It was almost a channel strip but without the eq section. I still have it, but don't use it anymore. Now I'm just using my UAD Apollo and all the wonderful plugs.

I have a DBX 163x. I used to use tthat thing for bass DI, but haven't done so in years. I really need to get it back into my work flow. (eh, if I ever get back to recording again. <sigh> )

And that Mosrite copy is beautiful. Love the color. I'm surprised the bridge pickup isn't closer to the bridge.

Really, Peavey are rated? I like the underdog, don't get me wrong. I just never realised they were good. I'll check them out though, thanks. I've been watching a Tanglewood Warrior, no one really seems to go on about Tanglewood but I've got a semi acoustic of theirs and it sounds great to me. This bass looks well nice, it's got a natural wood finish. Not to everyone's taste I know, but I like that sort of thing because I'm a tree hugging hippy. Except when it comes to chopping down trees to make me a bass. :D I know you can't go on looks alone...but how nice is this?
That's a pretty guitar.

Not all Peaveys' are great, and some are crap, but some are quite nice, and a bargain. They're all made in USA.

Yeh, I know a place where I can probably find one of these Tanglewoods. I'm working in town tomorrow, so i might go down the strip of heaven that is Denmark St, and check some of these basses out. Have to watch it though, the 1st time I went there I spent £450, the second time £350. I get back to reality a few hundred quid lighter with a guitar on my back thinking, what the hell just happened??? Oh well, noodles for dinner for the next few months...I've got this :guitar:

4 string?
Pics?

It's a four and a half string. :D Sounds really nice, LOUD, but nice. Also really heavy...almost too heavy for me, which is why I hardly play it. Also it confuses me quite a lot when I do, because I keep forgetting that the strings are all mixed up. :) It's got beautiful inlays though, it's a gorgeous object. I had a bit of fun fingerpicking with it but then I got my electric guitar and I haven't touched it since. PM me if you want more pics, I can even record it if you want to hear it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/matgzsj15tae81p/banjo 01.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3u7dnqgijvnig4/banjo 02.jpg

My banjo's drone/5th string won't stay in tune. The peg is just the screw in variety & doesn't grip or hold tension.
they're fun and the simplest chords are just a finger across the 4 strings G is open I think then A is skip a fret up etc. but it's been a while so I'm probably confused.
If you go bass shopping you'd best decide if you're goiing to be a finger, thumb or plectrum player 1st!

I am really surprised that no one has mentioned SX by Rondo...........
Rondo Music Bass Guitars | Page 1 of 2
I have had my P bass for over ten years and have had no problems and it plays and sounds awesome......
I have used it on all my recordings including this one....
here's a pic too...

these are still under $200 delivered.....

Attachments

• Beautiful People no vox_192.mp3
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 45
My banjo's drone/5th string won't stay in tune. The peg is just the screw in variety & doesn't grip or hold tension.
they're fun and the simplest chords are just a finger across the 4 strings G is open I think then A is skip a fret up etc. but it's been a while so I'm probably confused.
If you go bass shopping you'd best decide if you're goiing to be a finger, thumb or plectrum player 1st!

I think you have a friction tuner....just like a violin....my Harmony resonator has the same thing....if so.....you need to push it in hard to make it stay put.

My only input is that you should shoot for a piece of wood and not a composite body.

Other than that, a cheap bass is a cheap bass. haha

Stay the fuck away from the flea bass though. PIECE OF SHIT.

Back