wait...the shure sm58 is actually the shure sm57 with a ball on the end?

If you don't believe me maybe you'll believe some of these people:

"The Shure SM-58 is the finest microphone I've ever encountered. Once I heard it I would use no other mic. Every vocal, every instrument on every Beatles album was recorded using an SM-58. It made the Beatles what they are" - Sir George Martin, Beatles Producer

"What I found incredible is the crystal clarity and full range of reproduction found in the SM-58. It captures the full essence of every instrument - brass, percussion, woodwinds, strings, choir - everything, whether it's the Boston Pops or a resounding Star Wars score" - John Williams, composer of the Star Wars scores

"The SM-58 has been used exclusively for production of every James Bond film both for music score and film production sound" - Barbara Broccoli, James Bond producer and daughter of original James Bond Producer Albert Broccoli

"I used an SM-58 on every hit recording I made with both Harry James and Tommy Dorsey and for every film I sang in. I fell in love with the silky warmth it imparts to my voice" - Frank Sinatra, famed recording artist and actor

"Hey 'dat SM-58 is 'da shit man..." - Miles Davis, iconic Jazz trumpeter

"Oh yah, oybee ommangluh, enna, um, ya know of a, hunnertwennee of dem fookin SM-58's for awnna fordah obsashun of all the toim...ya know? SHARON!! WHERE'S MOI GODDAMM WOBESOHT?!? SHARON!!" - Ozzy Osbourne, the Prince of Darkness

If you don't believe me maybe you'll believe some of these people:

"The Shure SM-58 is the finest microphone I've ever encountered. Once I heard it I would use no other mic. Every vocal, every instrument on every Beatles album was recorded using an SM-58. It made the Beatles what they are" - Sir George Martin, Beatles Producer

"What I found incredible is the crystal clarity and full range of reproduction found in the SM-58. It captures the full essence of every instrument - brass, percussion, woodwinds, strings, choir - everything, whether it's the Boston Pops or a resounding Star Wars score" - John Williams, composer of the Star Wars scores

"The SM-58 has been used exclusively for production of every James Bond film both for music score and film production sound" - Barbara Broccoli, James Bond producer and daughter of original James Bond Producer Albert Broccoli

"I used an SM-58 on every hit recording I made with both Harry James and Tommy Dorsey and for every film I sang in. I fell in love with the silky warmth it imparts to my voice" - Frank Sinatra, famed recording artist and actor

"Hey 'dat SM-58 is 'da shit man..." - Miles Davis, iconic Jazz trumpeter

"Oh yah, oybee ommangluh, enna, um, ya know of a, hunnertwennee of dem fookin SM-58's for awnna fordah obsashun of all the toim...ya know? SHARON!! WHERE'S MOI GODDAMM WOBESOHT?!? SHARON!!" - Ozzy Osbourne, the Prince of Darkness

Get a wife. You need someone to argue with you evidently.

Wait, let me rephrase that, get a bad wife. Mine doesn't need to argue. Probably because I don't go out searching for shit to argue about for no reason.

This might be fun banter if you were actually showing that you had some experience. Throwing out worthless quotes from others, just shows you have nothing to say yourself. Take a nap dood. :)

Ah, c'mon. Do you really think all that stuff was recorded on SM58s? Let's have a look at some of them.

Beatles in Abbey Road studios? All SM58s?

http://www.rockbandbeatlesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/The-Beatles-At-Abbey-Road-Studios2.jpg

Nope! Well, maybe that was an odd one. Let's try another session:

http://www.kitchensnark.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Abbey-Road-Studios-The-Beatles.jpg

Hmmm, unless the case design has changed since the 1960s, those don't look like 58s either.

Well, what can you expect from Brits! I bet Frank Sinatra stuck to the SM58 like he said.

http://rokpool.com/files/artist/Frank Sinatra 2.jpg?0

Ooops! Well, that could be just a one off publicity shot. How about here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FXdkdHbdh...B-8/8k7rYI8M1N4/s1600/frank-sinatra-pic-3.jpg

Maybe that's a criminal SM58 in a cage? FYI, I saw one of his last concerts in the Albert Hall in London--he was using a Sennheiser condenser there.

As for recording Star Wars all on SM 58s, that's kinda far fetched. Have a look at this studio shot (you may have to zoom in:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/ar...phony+Orchestra+recording+in+Studio+1+in+1993

I can tell you right now, there are accepted techniques for recording large orchestras for film scores and NONE of them use an SM58.

John Barry on James Bond? Here's a studio session:

http://www.richardbandmusic.com/images/rb-orch-1.jpg

Lot's of mics around, not many SM58s. FYI, I've been on the Bond stage at Pinewood (no, I didn't work on Bond but I had a meeting with some of the people working on it) and they were NOT using SM58s--mainly Sennheiser 416 for mono and an MS Stereo rig for lots of ambience. I've also been in Abbey Road several times (where both the Beatles and a lot of film scores are recorded--I was there with various TV crews) and the only SM58s I saw around were being used as talkback mics--the recordings tended to be condensers.

Sorry, but most of those claims are way over the top and demonstrably not true.

Ah, c'mon. Do you really think all that stuff was recorded on SM58s? Let's have a look at some of them.
I have to admit enjoying a bit of a chuckle at the notion that you actually spent time and energy chasing down all that stuff because you didn't grasp the obvious.

:laughings:

I have to admit enjoying a bit of a chuckle at the notion that you actually spent time and energy chasing down all that stuff because you didn't grasp the obvious.

:laughings:

Dood. And I do mean 'Dood'. You are kind of a dick. Can you just step down, or do I have to ban you?

Do not ever treat one of our valued members like this again. There is no reason for you to be an asshole. It not funny to me, and I am sure this site will do better without you here.

One of the advantages of being retired (after 35+ years in the audio industry) is that I have time to enjoy another cup of tea and indulge myself with little projects like that. My only regret is that it didn't fill more of my morning since I'm looking for every excuse to avoid the mixing I'm supposed to be doing.

So...what was your excuse for the original set of quotes?

(And the old "post a troll them claim you were joking" trick is a bit tired.)

Dood. And I do mean 'Dood'. You are kind of a dick. Can you just step down, or do I have to ban you?
I'll remind you pal that you're the one who started hurling personal insults and invectives.

Where the hell did you come up with whining, you little punk?
I've tried to cut you some slack, you're not making it easy.

To quote you:

Let's have a sense of humor here man.
Yes I find it humorous that anyone actually, seriously didn't get that I was posting a parody with all those faux-quotes. It was *supposed* to be some levity to be enjoyed by all over a conversation that was getting silly.

There's been plenty of dickheadedness coming from your end pal. I'm posting this publicly because I don't want anyone to be under the impression that ban threats from someone intimidate me in the least.

I'll remind you pal that you're the one who started hurling personal insults and invectives.

I've tried to cut you some slack, you're not making it easy.

To quote you:

There's been plenty of dickheadedness coming from your end pal. I'm posting this publicly because I don't want anyone to be under the impression that ban threats from someone intimidate me in the least.

You know what dood, I will leave you alone here. Just enjoy the friendship you are going out of your way to make. I wouldn't throw out comments to you if you didn't give reason. Nobody here wants to hear from a guy that starts shit. Go to the cave forum here if you want to be a dick. I am personally done listening to you.

I should add, that yes, I had a bad few days. That does not mean that I am not allowed to have an opinion. At least I can admit when I have been a dick. I was a couple of times. I apologized. Yer turn dood.

Fwiw: I don't think brassplyer had been overly rude here, his first posts may have been confrontational, buy weren't really very rude. Tensions are just mounting kinda unnecessarily. i also actually thought that whole exchange with the fake quotes and the detailed rebuttal of a joke was pretty funny...call me crazy but I've been watching this thread since my earlier post and i think everybody needs to just chill on the assumptions. My $.02..

Fwiw: I don't think brassplyer had been overly rude here, his first posts may have been confrontational, buy weren't really very rude. Tensions are just mounting kinda unnecessarily. i also actually thought that whole exchange with the fake quotes and the detailed rebuttal of a joke was pretty funny...call me crazy but I've been watching this thread since my earlier post and i think everybody needs to just chill on the assumptions. My $.02..

I respect your opinion. Maybe I am just lashing out and being the dick. I fold.

I dont think that's the case Jim.

Anyone who turns up anywhere and criticises the way things are done in the first breath should know it's almost always going to turn out badly, regardless of whether he's right or wrong.

A lot of guys here (you know this Jim), take a LOT of their time out to 'give something back'.

Not a lot can be done about about the same questions coming up over and over,
but I don't see in huge problem in having a little moan every hundredth time you tell some what the best rap mic is for under $50 or whatever.

You could bitch and say "no one's forcing you to answer" or w/e, or you could just mind your business.

Back