wait...the shure sm58 is actually the shure sm57 with a ball on the end?

I like always being wrong.

There's a certain continuity to it plus women like a bad-boy who's from the wrong side of the tracks.

I like always being wrong.

There's a certain continuity to it plus women like a bad-boy who's from the wrong side of the tracks.

Hell, I want to be wrong too then. Can I join the club?

Wait, I been there for a while already. Ignore me, I'm wrong. :)

LOL! I have no problem being the bringer of all that is wrong. As long as I get to be right once and a while.

Would like like your mic with balls, or without?

Think about that the next time you have to get up close and personal with an SM58. (Sadly, that is my main vocal mic when performing, it sounds good with me though).

So the 57 is just a 7 with an extra 5? Right?

At the risk of re-opening old wounds, I heard a perfect example of why I'm not an SM58 fan last night.

My wife was watching a TV show from the Melbourne Comedy festival. Most of the show was done with the people onstage wearing clip on lav mics--probably Sennheiser MKE2 omni electret condensers. However, right at the end, one of them switched to a handheld radio mic with SM58 capsule.

There was a noticeable change to the character of the sound but, more important, my wife felt an immediate need to turn up the audio which had been fine for almost an hour. She was convinced that it had suddenly got quieter--but, to my not really paying attention ear, if anything the overall level was slightly higher. What HAD changed was the intelligibility. The SM58 sound was slightly muddy in the lower mids, probably down to the usual proximity effect problems. Whatever the reason though, there was noticeably less clarity than even the miniature condenser.

....and that's what I don't like about them!

So the 57 is just a 7 with an extra 5? Right?

At the risk of re-opening old wounds, I heard a perfect example of why I'm not an SM58 fan last night.

My wife was watching a TV show from the Melbourne Comedy festival. Most of the show was done with the people onstage wearing clip on lav mics--probably Sennheiser MKE2 omni electret condensers. However, right at the end, one of them switched to a handheld radio mic with SM58 capsule.

There was a noticeable change to the character of the sound but, more important, my wife felt an immediate need to turn up the audio which had been fine for almost an hour. She was convinced that it had suddenly got quieter--but, to my not really paying attention ear, if anything the overall level was slightly higher. What HAD changed was the intelligibility. The SM58 sound was slightly muddy in the lower mids, probably down to the usual proximity effect problems. Whatever the reason though, there was noticeably less clarity than even the miniature condenser.

....and that's what I don't like about them!

But that could have been a sound technicians fault in the booth? Or user error - Did you get a look at the microphone technique the performer was applying?

Yup. The mic technique was fine--SM58 up close to his mouth--and the sound mix was fine. If anything, the level from the 58 was slightly higher than the lav though there wasn't much in it. Had the 58 been used throughout, I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

However, the difference was the amount of intelligibility and clarity. The SM58 was more muddy in the low mids and this made the voice more difficult to understand--not by much but enough to be noticeable, especially with the accidental A/B comparison.

Yup. The mic technique was fine--SM58 up close to his mouth--and the sound mix was fine. If anything, the level from the 58 was slightly higher than the lav though there wasn't much in it. Had the 58 been used throughout, I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

However, the difference was the amount of intelligibility and clarity. The SM58 was more muddy in the low mids and this made the voice more difficult to understand--not by much but enough to be noticeable, especially with the accidental A/B comparison.

I figured as much. But I have witnessed on the TV bad mixes from different sources on a sound stage. I'm sure someone would have hell to pay for it.

And HEY - you forgot to flash the gang signs man! ☼♫♫♪♫♪♪♪☼

:cool:

Last edited:
I think this post has gone too far. 80 posts in 3 days? This should have had ended when someone answered "basically they are both the same mic"
:facepalm:

Except that there has been doubt cast on whether they are or not. Bobbsy certainly doesn't think they are. If someone of his vast experience has reasons to doubt that they're the same, I certainly can't go about still saying they are unless someone comes out and says "You're wrong on that, mate" and shows definitively why.
"Basically", "Essentially" "Moreorless".......these don't cut it. It's like saying that all African cultures are "essentially" the same or all European skin tones are "basically" the same. Say that and you'll raise eyebrows because what you are "essentially", "moreorless", "basically" saying is in fact the opposite. That they are not the same. That differences, however slight, exist.

So...using an SM58 to mic a guitar or bass cab instead of an SM57...good idea or bad idea?
Personally, I think the 58 does a good job on guitar and bass amps. Other mics I have do too and some don't but it's the 58 we're talking about.
I did it from a logical standpoint. I figured that if they're OK live mics that give the proximity effect a fair airing, then they should be able to handle the low end and if they're similar to the 57, fraternal twins, even, then they should be able to handle loud guitars and even add a little dullness if wanted. I've found them good on saxes too. But kind of lame on a snare.
Take all that with 'a measure of salt' though, because I've got bass player's ears, stuffed with the finest Arabian cloth !

Back