Vocal Removing software

Rockrz

Although I tinker with guitar, my primary thing is being a vocalist.

And for the sake of practicing / vocal exercising, I'd be interested in singing some songs of the vocalists that have influenced me which I can do now as a sing along. But, I'd like to be able to take their lead vocals out so I can also sing the tune by myself.

I see thru searching the net that there's a lot of software out there claiming to be the best at removing vocals and some even claim they can leave backing vocals which would be really cool for chorus parts on some songs.

But, I've also found that some of the software out there is not worth buying, so does anybody have any recommendations for software for removing vocals that is high quality and has sloe options such as leaving in back ground singers while removing vocals for the lead singer?

Any suggestions or ideas on how to find high quality software would be greatly appreciated. Especially if it's software that offers a free trial period so I can try it before I but it. Thanks!

Here's some options I dug up from older threads hereabouts :

I suppose "best" is a relative term not knowing if you need standalone, web or plugin. Then there is pricing. Izotope 10 or SpectralLayers 10 Pro is rather expensive but Spectrallayers 1 comes with Cubase Artist and Pro. Thank goodness for free trials.

Here is a video comparing 4 options. These also have the option to work in reverse as you'll note in the video.

I use "Spleeter". It's free and can remove vocals, remove everything BUT vocals, separate every instruments, etc...

I do drum covers, so I often remove the drums from pre-recorded music. It works fine...and it's free.

Remember when you had to play your own instruments to make a cover song?

Peppridge farm remembers.
This has nothing to do with that. We're talking about REMOVING instruments so that you can actually "play your own instrument to make a cover song". Pretty much exactly the opposite of what you're getting at.

The OP wants to practice vocals, so he wants to remove the original vocals. You saying he has to learn 5 other instruments just to practice his vocals? That's peculair.:eek:

You can also find karaoke versions of lots of songs. You don't necessarily need the original audio just to practice vocals. There are some karaoke songs that are really good at faking it.

It's witchcraft, I tell you ! 🧐

Yes, it seemingly is. While it's not typically something I run into, this thread had me intrigued. I decided to play around with some of the plugin's I have. Cubase comes with SpectralLayers and recently added some premiums for those that upgraded to 13 that included Melodyne and I already have Izotope RX.

So I tried playing around with a few stereo tracks in my music collection. First processed file was on a track with both a lead vocal and background. SpectralLayers removed the lead vocal and left the background vocals on the instrument track. Separation was pretty good with just a bit of perceptible ghost bleed of the lead vocal in the instrument track.

Second track was Billy Paul Mrs Jones. In this track, the background singers are pretty faint with the same level of reverb and in the same vocal range. The separated vocal track contained a decent amount of ghost instrumentation as well. So I ran the vocal track through Melodyne. Here I could just edit out some of the more obvious bleed. Izotope RX processed the rest out of the instrument track. In a short amount of time, I had both tracks done with pretty good results.

The full version of SpectralLayers can unmix an entire song into separate stems. This is indeed witchcraft. Might download the demo and play with it at some point but even with a competitive upgrade price, it is out of my range as it's not something I'd use in my work flow. I'm continually amazed at how far plugin's have progressed in just a few years.

Mrs Jones, good tune. Unfortunately unappreciated & downgraded, and totally inappropriate I might add, recently heard it on the overhead in the family dollar store.

Mrs Jones, good tune. Unfortunately unappreciated & downgraded, and totally inappropriate I might add, recently heard it on the overhead in the family dollar store.

You see, her name is Mrs Jones because she's married. Mr Paul and Mrs Jones they "got a thing going on". It would seem that playing a song with sentimate towards homewrecker activity would be inappropriate in the damn "Family" Dollar Store. Can I get a witness.

Fair warning, "Family" Dollar Store.

You see, her name is Mrs Jones because she's married. Mr Paul and Mrs Jones they "got a thing going on". It would seem that playing a song with sentimate towards homewrecker activity would be inappropriate in the damn "Family" Dollar Store. Can I get a witness.

Fair warning, "Family" Dollar Store.
I think the king of really great tunes that fit in the "inappropriate category has got to be Vehicle by Ide's of March. Though the lyrics were not written with the intent that it seems to convey, it certainly doesn't pass the test of time. I'd be really surprised to hear it while shopping in the grocery store.

Great tune where you practically miss the opening two lines. It opens, Well hey, I'm the friendly stranger in a black sedan, won't you hop inside my car. and gets worse in the send line.

Art, it's not always appropriate. Just check out any art museum. It does however often reflect reality.

This has nothing to do with that. We're talking about REMOVING instruments so that you can actually "play your own instrument to make a cover song". Pretty much exactly the opposite of what you're getting at.

The OP wants to practice vocals, so he wants to remove the original vocals. You saying he has to learn 5 other instruments just to practice his vocals? That's peculair.:eek:
He should write his own songs and get on with it.

He should write his own songs and get on with it.
"He should"? How's the air up there on your high horse? :eek:

This isn't Prime Time, dud. Someone's asking for actual music-related help.
You should knock off the idiot persona and try to be yourself for a change.
As long as we're telling each other what "we should" do. :)

Last edited:
"He should"? How's the air up there on your high horse? :eek:

This isn't Prime Time, dud. Someone's asking for actual music-related help.
You should knock off the idiot persona and try to be yourself for a change.
As long as we're telling each other what "we should" do. :)
I fell off many times believe me, but practice makes perfect. The view is nice from up here. Then again, I have been known to lie a lot.

Trying too hard, buddy. You're not able to pull it off. It's embarrassing.

Back on topic....

OP, give Spleeter a try. It's free. Other suggestions here are very good, too. I'm not sure if they're all free though. Not that everything has to be free, but it's nice to try stuff out before buying it.

Funny dispute you've got here. My guess is the OP isn't returning. A trend with new members? I don't see Home Recording as ranking very high as a friendly/helpful community. Some of the posts I see here, I also find have been posted on other sites verbatim. Even Gearspace and Reddit of all places seems friendlier these days than here. Perhaps too many disputes in Prime Time has affected the ability of some to just let it roll.

Not sure what Dogooder thing is. Perhaps he's just old and we should feel sorry for him. He came here apparently after a hiatus needing help with figuring out an inherited ProTools rig. People here made a real attempt to help him out. I spent a few hours digging through manuals trying. I don't think there is a less appreciative member on this board. He whined on but was unwilling to put in the work. A lot of, solve my problems for me though. Unlike the OP of this thread, he stuck around. Loves to piss in anyone's cornflakes.

Random, you can't let every slight wind you up. Given his body of work, who cares?

Back