vocal/horns funk tune mixing feedback

jndietz

The Way It Moves
Hey all.

Tracked this tune back in December and spent a good couple months dubbing/editing/mixing. Not the entire time, of course, as we're working on other tunes. Looking for some feedback on the mix here.

This is a live track minus the vocals, claps, tambourine, and organ.

Drums were tracked with sennheiser and shure sm57s exclusively. NT5s on the overheads. I think we used a crummy MXL 991 on the hihat which turned out all right. I set up a mono room mic to capture my small basement sound. Other instruments were isolated so it came in handy to give the drums a more live feel.

Guitar is a Mesa Lonestar miked with an sm57. Lead guitar played through a Fuchs and an sm57 (or maybe a sennheiser md421). Bass is an SVT Pro running direct. Horns were tracked with a mixture of sm57s on the saxophones (alto/tenor) and trombone and trumpet were tracked with CAD M179 LDC. Organ is a Nord Lead running direct. Claps were recorded a couple times for layering, then did some editing to make them line up and sound consistent. Tambourine was just tracked in the room with the vocalist as she plays it live.

I think that about covers it.

Sounding good...
I would taking the cymbals a bit down, make the vocals a bit wet, also I feel the snare is too upfront for the genre
Overall sound a bit dry but sounds good

I would also add harmonics to the vocals, maybe a faltzeto octave up in some lace

I was gonna say the same thing that it all sounds just a tad too dry. Cool groove, cool tune and all for sure. However, the vocals sound auto-tuned, which doesn't fit the genre very well, IMHO. The performances all sound tight. The place where the guitar doubles the vocal makes it sound way auto-tuned, like the robot sound. I don't know if that's the effect you were going for or what. If not, I'd seriously rethink that part. Maybe just add a vocal double.

Anyway, cool tune, and great energy in the track. Thanks for sharing.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Maybe just add a touch of reverb on a few of the instruments and vocals?

It sounds great. Although it's could be a bit louder and maybe add a little delay to the vocals.

Not bad at all man. With the exception of a few small nits, I think the mix is really good. Maybe the vocals need to come up a little. I don't really think it sounds too dry but a little touch on the vocals may sit them in the mix a little better.

The vocal's nowhere nearly present enough.

How'd you record this? Which parts were recorded with mics? How many were done with a computer?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I haven't been able to touch the mix in a while since I've been working diligently on other projects. I'll try to get at it this week!

The vocal's nowhere nearly present enough.

How'd you record this? Which parts were recorded with mics? How many were done with a computer?

It was all recorded with a computer, but this is a live take minus the vocals/tambourine, vocal harmonies, and the claps.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I haven't been able to touch the mix in a while since I've been working diligently on other projects. I'll try to get at it this week!

It was all recorded with a computer, but this is a live take minus the vocals/tambourine, vocal harmonies, and the claps.

I think he was asking which parts (if any) were virtual instruments. I could be wrong though.

Back