Violin New Age - Used different mic'ing technique.

PoeticIntensity

MagicJones.com (is a website)
This one came out quite good, I do believe. It's been awhile since I've posted anything, so I thought I'd see if I'm up in the air again with my mixes. This place always tends to bring me back to earth.

This one is from a client whose music does a good job of inspiring me. It's far from perfect, but his playing is so honest, it's hard not to feel inspired from music like this.

Anyway... Enough of the cheese.

It's been awhile since I used this mic'ing technique, and I've never used it on a violin before. Can ya guess what it is?

Any and all comments welcome.

Nepal

Nepal Updated

Last edited:
Great stuff - I found the violin was a little out front for me. I'd want it more even with the keys. But, I'm not familiar with a) what the client wants or, b) what would be the norm for this type of instrument. It's certainly a good recording so well done there. It sounds like one mic but I'm guessing you probably used two?
You're certainly getting some great people into your studio and you sound like you're pretty in demand around there (for good reason). :D

No, it's not perfect but I like that it's so simple!

I don't know how you did the violin, but it sounds very close whatever it was. Is it a lapel mic or something?

very nice J, love the sounds, reminded me of the soundtrack from the Firefly series lol

nothing on the mix, all sounded good to me...but i wouldnt know where to start anyway..

ta for sharing :drunk:

I thought it sounded real good. The reverb on things was perfect for the music.

Maybe lower the seashore level at the beginning. It tends to dominate just a bit too much.

On the violin, there is some frequency that kind of stings the eardrums here and there. Somewhere between 2600hz and 2900hz. I think a *very* narrow notch of maybe 6dbs or so would take care of it.

Nice music, uplifting.

The violin is certainly clear, IDK maybe a touch more analog sounding would soften it, or maybe its just too out front and a little drop in db would do it. Nice work though all around.

My guess is a mic and a pick-up blended together.

Enjoyed the music, great playing, melodies.

I had a listen and I found the tune lingering in my mind afterwards.

There were a few things that I reckon you could have a listen to.

I wasn't convinced by the sea sound at the start. That device is used quite often, and I think the tune stands up in its own right. However, it may be specifically asked for, so I won't quibble too much.

The lower register of the violin sounds great, but I, like another poster, noticed a stridency around the 3k mark . . . just a little harsh in that area (not uncommon with violins).

Others thought that the violin was a little too upfront. Possibly . . . but you might like to try a bit more reverb before taking it back . . . that would soften its overall sound so that it's not so much in your face.

At times I found the tremolo a little strange (noticeable more towards the end of the song). I'm not sure what the cause of that is.

You mentioned that it was 'far from perfect'. There is a lack of fluidity in the playing, and a bit of pitchiness on the higher registers . . . but I agree that it is 'honest'' and the slight imperfections don't worry me.

The violin could do with being taken down a notch or two, but other than that it's very good, don't mind the pitch issues, it sounds like a real instrument, somethimes things can sound too perfect (something I've never been accused of).

I'm guessing two mics about 3-4 feet apart pointing to form a triangle with the violin just behind the cross-over point of the two mics like this File:Spacedpair.gif - Wikibooks, open books for an open world (is there a prize if I'm right? :D)

I agree there is no ocean in nepal. It could be a monk in the bath tough.

Great stuff - I found the violin was a little out front for me. I'd want it more even with the keys. But, I'm not familiar with a) what the client wants or, b) what would be the norm for this type of instrument. It's certainly a good recording so well done there. It sounds like one mic but I'm guessing you probably used two?
You're certainly getting some great people into your studio and you sound like you're pretty in demand around there (for good reason). :D

Hey Gerry.. Thanks for commenting. Yeah, lots of comments about the violin being up-front, but that's the focus, for sure. I'll see what happens if I lower it a decibel or two. Not sure yet... ...and yes, I used two mics for the violin, but 3 tracks. :)

No, it's not perfect but I like that it's so simple!

I don't know how you did the violin, but it sounds very close whatever it was. Is it a lapel mic or something?

Thanks for commenting Cobalt. Yeah.. It was close. Mic'ed from about 2 inches out, about 2 or 3 inches up from the bridge.

actually, no scratch that. I'm sticking with the "very close" though.

Good call. Not a lapel, but yes, very close (possibly too close...)

very nice J, love the sounds, reminded me of the soundtrack from the Firefly series lol

nothing on the mix, all sounded good to me...but i wouldnt know where to start anyway..

ta for sharing :drunk:

Thanks for chiming in, Keith! Glad to have ya back. Still waiting for more electronic goodness coming from ya. Hope you're doing well, bro.

I thought it sounded real good. The reverb on things was perfect for the music.

Maybe lower the seashore level at the beginning. It tends to dominate just a bit too much.

On the violin, there is some frequency that kind of stings the eardrums here and there. Somewhere between 2600hz and 2900hz. I think a *very* narrow notch of maybe 6dbs or so would take care of it.

Thank you, Triple! I think I'll take a look at that frequency when I get home, and I might put just a hair more reverb on the violin to back it off a bit. Seashore sounds needs to be lowered, too - good call. Thanks again for your consistent comments on my stuff.

There's no freaking ocean in Nepal. :laughings:

The violin is way too out front for me. It's distracting and stomping all over everything.

P.S. Mid-side?

Possibly gonna change the sea sounds to wind blowing due to this. Gotta talk to the client. Gonna lower the violin just a tad, too. It's definitely out front, but it is for a violinist, and the violin needs the spotlight for sure. I'll see if I can seat it a bit more. Thanks for the comments, Greg.

Oh... and I hate you. You're right - again. It was a mid-side configuration with an AT 4041 for mid, and a Joly-modified Apex 205 ribbon for side. Kind of baffles me how good you are at picking up on things. Very good. You win. Again. :cool::guitar::D

Nice music, uplifting.

The violin is certainly clear, IDK maybe a touch more analog sounding would soften it, or maybe its just too out front and a little drop in db would do it. Nice work though all around.

My guess is a mic and a pick-up blended together.

Enjoyed the music, great playing, melodies.

Thanks, Pete! Gonna do what I can to soften it a bit for sure.

Forgot to add....everything else sounds pretty good.

Too late, I already hate you. :D

I had a listen and I found the tune lingering in my mind afterwards.

There were a few things that I reckon you could have a listen to.

I wasn't convinced by the sea sound at the start. That device is used quite often, and I think the tune stands up in its own right. However, it may be specifically asked for, so I won't quibble too much.

The lower register of the violin sounds great, but I, like another poster, noticed a stridency around the 3k mark . . . just a little harsh in that area (not uncommon with violins).

Others thought that the violin was a little too upfront. Possibly . . . but you might like to try a bit more reverb before taking it back . . . that would soften its overall sound so that it's not so much in your face.

At times I found the tremolo a little strange (noticeable more towards the end of the song). I'm not sure what the cause of that is.

You mentioned that it was 'far from perfect'. There is a lack of fluidity in the playing, and a bit of pitchiness on the higher registers . . . but I agree that it is 'honest'' and the slight imperfections don't worry me.

Thanks for the comment, Zed. I think you're right with the reverb thing. I'm gonna add just a bit, and take down the violin no more than 1 (maybe 1.5) db. The client is creating an album, which has bookends of something on all the songs. For this one, he chose a lapping beach, so... I'm stuck. I don't think it detracts, but it could definitely survive without it. I'm also gonna look at that 3k mark to tame it a bit.

I also have the tune going on in my head after working on it, in a good way. I think this guy might have a chance at making something with his music.

The violin could do with being taken down a notch or two, but other than that it's very good, don't mind the pitch issues, it sounds like a real instrument, somethimes things can sound too perfect (something I've never been accused of).

I'm guessing two mics about 3-4 feet apart pointing to form a triangle with the violin just behind the cross-over point of the two mics like this File:Spacedpair.gif - Wikibooks, open books for an open world (is there a prize if I'm right? :D)

I agree there is no ocean in nepal. It could be a monk in the bath tough.

Good guess on the spaced pair. I use that technique for pretty much all my guitar / stringed instruments, but on this one, I used a mid/side technique, and it added a lot of spaciality on the violin.

Thanks for the comment!

Lol. I figured mid-side by the sound of it. Mid-side, to me, generally gives a full super mono kind of sound, but with a twist. If things aren't perfectly centered, the room reflections can vary on the side mic leading to an almost out-of-phase kind of sound without the usual unpleasantness. Also, a violinist is gonna move. I occasionally heard the sound pop out of one side or the other while the meat of the sound stayed mostly centered. To my ears, this exhibited all the tell-tale signs of mid-side.

Yeh, I noticed the slight movement, that's what made be think of the spaced pair, I've never come across the mid side technique. It's amazing what a difference using two mics does, you just get that sense of space, even in a pretty dead room. But the important question; was I right about the monk in the bath?

Nah, you've got to remove the ocean sounds. I never much cared for gimmicks like that and it doesn't work here. Like GZ said, the song can stand on its own.

I also agree with the comments about lowering the violin down a bit. I don't agree with adding more reverb. At least on the version I heard, there's plenty.

To me, the snare sounded at almost the same level as the violin while the rest of the kit wasn't. Toms did sound really good, though.

Other than those little quibbles, beautiful song, excellent performance and a great mix.

Cool man.

btw: my 5 yr old wants a violin for christmas and she listened with big eyes and a huge smile. So, thanks for that. :)

Very nice piece, Jason.
I didn't find the violin too loud, it sounded right to me. My only nit would be the drum sound, it sounds a bit buried to me. of course I'm not expecting heavy metal drums in a piece like this, but they could come out better and add a bit of magic...;) (but then Greg didn't complain, so...:D )
And yes, wind is more common than ocean in Nepal, it being so high up and all...:p

Lol. I figured mid-side by the sound of it. Mid-side, to me, generally gives a full super mono kind of sound, but with a twist. If things aren't perfectly centered, the room reflections can vary on the side mic leading to an almost out-of-phase kind of sound without the usual unpleasantness. Also, a violinist is gonna move. I occasionally heard the sound pop out of one side or the other while the meat of the sound stayed mostly centered. To my ears, this exhibited all the tell-tale signs of mid-side.

Hey... Since you aren't like... running a studio or anything, could you lend me your golden ears for a bit??? :eek: You definitely know your stuff. Someday, I'll get it.... someday... :cursing:

As always, thanks tons for your input.

Yeh, I noticed the slight movement, that's what made be think of the spaced pair, I've never come across the mid side technique. It's amazing what a difference using two mics does, you just get that sense of space, even in a pretty dead room. But the important question; was I right about the monk in the bath?

The dude's sponsor could probably be considered a monk by some standards... hehe...

Nah, you've got to remove the ocean sounds. I never much cared for gimmicks like that and it doesn't work here. Like GZ said, the song can stand on its own.

I also agree with the comments about lowering the violin down a bit. I don't agree with adding more reverb. At least on the version I heard, there's plenty.

To me, the snare sounded at almost the same level as the violin while the rest of the kit wasn't. Toms did sound really good, though.

Other than those little quibbles, beautiful song, excellent performance and a great mix.

Cool man.

btw: my 5 yr old wants a violin for christmas and she listened with big eyes and a huge smile. So, thanks for that. :)

Thanks, Chili! I updated the thread with a new link up top, taking pretty much everything said here into account. I can't flat-out get rid of the bookends, but I did lower em' by like 15 db. I cut 8 db of violin out at 3khz at .5Q, and lowered the overall violin gain by 1db. I also fiddled with the reverb, but ended up liking where it was at.

Very nice piece, Jason.
I didn't find the violin too loud, it sounded right to me. My only nit would be the drum sound, it sounds a bit buried to me. of course I'm not expecting heavy metal drums in a piece like this, but they could come out better and add a bit of magic...;) (but then Greg didn't complain, so...:D )
And yes, wind is more common than ocean in Nepal, it being so high up and all...:p

Thanks Joey! Glad you could stop by. Yeah, if the drums are any louder, they become more a focus, and for this piece, the spotlight needs to be brightly on the violin without sacrificing anything else. A tricky rope to walk, but man, I'm learning tons.

Thanks for all your input. New link above with pretty much everything taken into account. Does the new mix fit the bill? Link below, too.

Nepal Updated

Back