Vesuvius: Surf Punk original (First Draft)

Clean-ish guitar problem is solved for the most part. There was a spot or two where I didn't the pitch came up to where I thought it's supposed to be. But it's solid enough as it is.

Still get a little click from the kick in spots. There is one spot at about :15 where I thought it was a digital pop. But I think it's the attack on the kick. It's weird because it hardly happens.

I think The Ventures were cool. So I like this.

I listened to the second mix (with the larger font.)

Mix sounds good to me, everything seems balanced well and clear. Pretty impressive stick work in the middle there!

Only listened to the second mix so far.

The lead on the left is pretty quiet, but I think when there's vocals over it, it should sit pretty nicely.

When I read surf punk, I was expecting something much faster. Maybe more like the DKs! :D

I saw the Dead Kennedy's a few years back in a very small venue (Rock 'n Roll Hotel in Washington DC) - well actually it was East Bay Ray and DH Peligro. They had someone else on Bass because Klause was not healthy and a different singer because Biafra is a douche. Anyway, I parked myself about 10 feet in front of East Bay Ray. I thought his tone was going to be high frequency heavy and almost shrill. Their recordings were always terrible and that's the impression I had. - Not so in real life. He was playing out of an Orange head. His tone was lush, clear, brilliant, rounded. Tons of thick reverb but also very articulate. Downright fucking awesome.

I thought his tone was going to be high frequency heavy and almost shrill. Their recordings were always terrible and that's the impression I had. - Not so in real life. He was playing out of an Orange head. His tone was lush, clear, brilliant, rounded. Tons of thick reverb but also very articulate. Downright fucking awesome.

That's the advantage of being in a seminal punk band: for all of your later work, you get to use really nice gear!

Just listening to updated mix - the left guitar sounds better than the last mix now.
The quieter part is very well arranged with the couple/three guitars on either side.
Comes back in to the louder part without sounding "louder" so smooth transition there.
On the fence whether the drums are a little loud but damn they sound fabulous!

Just listening to updated mix - the left guitar sounds better than the last mix now.
The quieter part is very well arranged with the couple/three guitars on either side.
Comes back in to the louder part without sounding "louder" so smooth transition there.
On the fence whether the drums are a little loud but damn they sound fabulous!

Hi, Ido, thanks for commenting and bumping the thread! There is an update. This new mix has Hammond organ on it, plus a little extra near the end! ;)

Still no main vocal yet, but the lyrics are on their way. :)

View attachment Vesuvius-002.mp3

Had the chance to listen to the last mix at Mike's just now with some nice Focals. Sounds excellent... The whole mix on good speakers, with your choice of reverb, shines even more. Headphones just can`t resonate as well. I have nothing to give you on the mix. It sounds great - really pro...:D:D:D:D

Had the chance to listen to the last mix at Mike's just now with some nice Focals. Sounds excellent... The whole mix on good speakers, with your choice of reverb, shines even more. Headphones just can`t resonate as well. I have nothing to give you on the mix. It sounds great - really pro...:D:D:D:D

Fantastic, Ido. Thanks for that. My own monitors are Yamaha HS5s. Whoever said that "if you can make your mix sound good on these, then it will sound good on anything" wasn't lying. I really wish I had something more pro to listen on, but if they're doing their job, then I have nothing to complain about.

I listened to the second mix (with the larger font.)

Mix sounds good to me, everything seems balanced well and clear. Pretty impressive stick work in the middle there!
Thanks, Easlern. I'll pass the compliment on to my lad.

I listened to the first mix a few days back, now the new one. The guitars sound great. Nice spaghetti western sound on that lead guitar doing the main riff (the section where the vocal harmonies come in behind it is killer). Actually, it reminds me of something Adam Ant's band might have played back in the day, or even Magazine. We are about the same age, so I know you know what I mean.

The layered guitars are very good too. I'm hearing a lead that does ringing notes, and one or two other guitars chording lower in the mix. This kind of layering is exactly what I'm trying to achieve with my guitars too.

Bass and drums sound good. Cool that you are playing with your son.

All in all, I hear nothing bad or off at all. I'm not able to judge much about the composition without hearing where the vocals fit in. I'll give the complete mix a listen.

Thanks, Robus. I got the first iteration of the main vocal from my collaborator today and, although it sounded great, the rhythm of the delivery wasn't exactly what I was after. I'm confident that in the next day or two that this song will be finished and the final mix uploaded. It will be another "discovery channel" piece. I know that this kind of thing is very polarizing in opinion, but it satisfies my nerdishness perfectly. :D Magazine, Radiohead, Floyd, the Stranglers, Pixies, various punk bands and Public Service Broadcasting are the bands that are influencing me currently, so I'm happy you've picked out one of the major guys. :D

My next song will be a departure for me, possibly into a more conventional songwriting vein.

I love Magazine. In 1981, I was living in Navy housing in Newport, RI. An English family moved in across the street, on some kind of exchange deal with the Royal Navy. They had a son my age--18--and we became mates. He introduced me to Joy Division, Magazine, the Psychedelic Furs. None of those were heard over here at that time, although the P Furs later became big.

I introduced him to Jack Daniels. ;)

Back