Vai or Satriani

Who do you think is better?

• Steve Vai

Votes: 56 59.6%
  • Joe Satriani

Votes: 38 40.4%

• Total voters
Steve Vai I think may have more technical ability due to rediculously dexterous tendrils as opposed to fingers.....but some of his stuff is just too out there for a lot of listeners. I definitely like Vai's live show better, just because I get really into the emotion of some of his songs more so than Satch. Joe however just plays beautifully and tastefully all the time, so I can see why many people might like him better.
I often wonder when comparing the two if Satch is like the unassuming master like Yoda or something and could just blow Vai out of the water with technique! Who knows.

Cool.

It's tough to decide - they're both so different stylistically. I have most of Vai's CDs and a bunch of Joe's. Vai is definitely more "out there."

I think Joe has stronger albums (song writing wise)....but technically, Passion and Warfare is a really tough one to beat.

I may sound like a big fag here or something.....but I don't think a piece of music has ever moved me more than watching Vai play "Whispering A Prayer" from just a few feet away last spring......had to hear that song live before I ever got how powerful it was. Vai is much more unbridled....but I think it takes that to create such an impact.

Hmmm...might I be a Vai fan?????? :D :D :D
By the way he destroyed Yngwie at G3 a couple years back! ;)

Out of the two of them, I'd probably pick Mike Keneally. (highly visible in Steve's band through many of the G3/Fire Garden years, Zappa alumni, etc...)

Satch & Vai both have huge technical prowess, probably as close to evenly matched as possible. I enjoy Vai's stuff more from the songwriting perspective, while I find that most of the Satriani stuff I've heard is pretty much constant flailing over a boogie of some sort.

Out of all of Steve's solo career, I like the Flex-Able stuff the most, even though it's basically home-recorded 8-track stuff. Again, it's because of the songwriting. It's certainly more "out there", but fits my listening habits well for it.

sl

dawg2k5 said:
Is that G3 tour available on DVD?
I was watching the one with Eric Johnson

Yeah, there is a DVD of that show in Denver.
It is kinda short, as they all played much longer sets and I can't say that they captured the best material, However I wasn't at the Denver show where they filmed so I really have no proof of that! :D
Good DVD tho!

snow lizard said:
...I enjoy Vai's stuff more from the songwriting perspective, while I find that most of the Satriani stuff I've heard is pretty much constant flailing over a boogie of some sort...

Interesting. This is the exact opposite of my opinion. I think Satriani has a lot more melodic content to his songs (summer song, rubina, always with.., dreaming #11, etc...) whereas, Vai has a lot of flailing, and too much tremolo bar wanking for me. I hate the wanking at the end of Tender Surrender....such beautiful song, them wham!!!! wankfest!!!!

But, I like them equally. I don't think anyone could definitively, scientifically say one is better than the other...just preference.

It sure is interesting to hear everyone's point of view on this, though.

MrBoogie

Who Cares? Can either of them play with feeling? (No.)

But if you really must know, the answer is neither. They can almost certainly both do things which the other can't, so whose to say which is better? And why would it matter?

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I voted for JS because he plays like a CPU. SV did some neat stuff on Zappa tunes. They are both very gifted, but I'm not impressed with either. They are like machines with no feeling at all. They are stuntmen.

peopleperson said:
But then again, Satch didn't play on Eat em and Smile.

I'm trying to decide if you mean that as a point for or against...

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
Who Cares? Can either of them play with feeling? (No.)

you've got to be kidding me.....

I knew someone would say this. I don't understand why people dismiss players with incredible technique as having no feeling. Granted, some of that kind of playing is over the top, but sometimes over the top is the kind of feeling you want to express....it's still viable. Steve Vai pours more feeling into his performances than anyone else I've ever seen.

That is just an extremely pretentious thing to say.
Besides......"feeling" is subjective.

metalhead28 said:

I knew someone would say this. I don't understand why people dismiss players with incredible technique as having no feeling. Granted, some of that kind of playing is over the top, but sometimes over the top is the kind of feeling you want to express....it's still viable. Steve Vai pours more feeling into his performances than anyone else I've ever seen.

Besides......"feeling" is subjective.

I agree....."feeling" is definately subjective.
There aren't too many people that would say Vai and Satch play with no "feeling". That's a bit of a heavy handed statement.

metalhead28 said:

You need to go to more shows.

metalhead28 said:

Only if I hadn't listened to them. I have. I'm not impressed. Via has chops, sure, but that's all.

Chops don't negate feel. I never said that. I said those two guys have no feel. I know lots of guys who can play like that, PLUS they have taste, soul, and feel. And unless you live around here, you've almost certainly never heard of them.

LIght

M.K. Gandhi

Back