Using the included samples in Sonar 3 pro

ManDooM

Warning: Noob question

I just got around to checking out the included samples on disc 2 and 3. I want to use them in my projects but how do I go about doing it? I don't even know where to begin. So far the manual hasn't been helpful.

Most are designed for use with VSampler, or you could use them through Cyclone. Either way you will use a midi track to trigger the loaded sample from whatever 'sampler' program you use.

Q.

I don't have any 'sampler' programs. Does Sonar 3PE have something like that built in? Is that what VSampler and Cyclone are?

And I have no idea how to do anything you said. Talk to me like someone whos is completely new to home recording :P How do I go about using a sampler program through a MIDI track?

ManDooM said:
Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah.....

Talk to me like someone whos is completely new to home recording :P How do I go about using a sampler program through a MIDI track?

VSampler is the big sampler included with PE. Cyclone is more of a loop triggering device.

If you didn't know that you haven't read the manual so I can't be bothered holding your hand. Go RTFM, post a specific question about where you can't get it to work and we can work it out from there.

I need a beer.

Q.

Yeah talking about Cyclone, I tried the other day in vain to find a demo file that should be on the cd's ...s

Is there anything you can use cyclone for making rock or pop music? Or is it for the techno type of thing?

Is there anything you can use cyclone for making rock or pop music? Or is it for the techno type of thing?
It's basically a stripped down sample player that you can manipulate loops in.
You can assign either a sample or loop to each keypad and play away.
You can pitch shift,loop and a few other things.
The thing I like about it is that you can import an acidised loop and manipulate the parts to create a new loop with ease.This comes in handy if you find a loop that almost but not quite right or just want to use portions of the beat to create a whole new loop.

Whether it's rock,polka or techno depends on the person using it.

I'm getting on here in case you get any useable answers to your question (which you probably won't.) :D I've read the Sonar manual and I still can't get a clue how to get any sound out of vsampler. I did actually get some sound out of the Edirol thing with my old ESQ-1 but I'm totally ignorant of the principles of "triggering samples." My brain doesn't like MIDI. Good luck.

I use VSampler with no problem. Did you remember to load some samples into it before playing?

In fact VSampler has shown me the advantage of using a software sampler and getting some quality samples. I used to use a quite good Roland sound module, but with large samples of bass and drums in VSampler (Sonic Implants stuff), they sound much more like a real instrument.

StevenLindsey said:
I'm getting on here in case you get any useable answers to your question (which you probably won't.) :D I've read the Sonar manual and I still can't get a clue how to get any sound out of vsampler. I did actually get some sound out of the Edirol thing with my old ESQ-1 but I'm totally ignorant of the principles of "triggering samples." My brain doesn't like MIDI. Good luck.

I did figure out how to do it through trial and error. I couldn't exactly use the manual when I didn't have a clue what I was looking for... There's no way I'm going to read the manual from cover to cover first thing. I didn't even make it through all the tutorials before things started going over my head.

The way I'm using VSampler (I've only begun to understand it and I'm sure there are much simpler and efficient ways) is by inserting a Vsampler DXi synth track through the Insert menu in the toolbar. I have it insert a "MIDI Source Track", a "First Synth Output (Audio)", and have it open the "Synth Property Page" when it prompts to do so. In the Property Page I click the asterisk button in the toolbar (next to the wav button) which lets you open and apply a sample file to your track (I copied all the samples from Disk 2 into my Cakewalk Projects folder for easy access). After you've applied a file, select the sample you want in the bank list and then play the keyboard to make sure there's something loaded. I then write/record in the MIDI track which, when played, triggers the samples.

I do this for every new sample track so I have a VSamp track and MIDI track for every sample I use. I'm sure there's a way you can use a VSampler master track to control all your MIDI tracks you're using for samples but I'm still figuring stuff out here.

You only need to insert one VSampler. Do that.

Now let's say you want to play a midi file you downloaded from the net. That would be a GM midi file. Now open VSampler and use File-Open. You now open a GM soundfont file in which you have all the instruments ordered as is usual in GM.

Haven't got a GM Soundfont collection? Then download one from www.hammersound.net I like the one in "collections", page 6 called 8rock11e.zip Download and unzip, then you can you just open it with VSampler.

After that for each instrument you choose "output" to be VSampler. That's all. If it's a general midi file you want to play it will.

In fact there is only a "getting started" manual. I have asked them several times to write a decent manual, because there are so many things not covered in what they provide, including on-line help.

tombuur said:
In fact there is only a "getting started" manual.

The .ZIP file I linked above is a 3.5Mb .PDF file with 121 pages.... That's a little larger than a "Getting Started" card...

Q.

Well, it is called "Start Up and Basics", and it doesn't cover a lot things you can find in the program and have to guess on how to use.

True enough.... and it is noticeably called "Part 1" with no obvious reference to download a second part.

Should be enough to get ManDooM up and cooking though...

:) Q.

Thanks guys for the details. I'm going to try this thing again one day when I have a bunch of time to blow. I don't really do MIDI, at least as yet, but I would like to be able to play sampled stuff with my keyboard if possible. I'm wanting that NI B4 organ software.

I appreciate the time and info!

StevenLindsey said:
I'm wanting that NI B4 organ software.

I have done a test run of that and found samples are better. Go to NI's homepage:

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?b4sounds_us

Listen to the comparison between a real B3 and the B4. Take example 3 of the 3. If you don't understand German you will hear the real thing first then the B4. They do that twice (German speak between) with a full band the second time. Even to the ears of guitarist the real thing sound so much better. So I downloaded some B3 samples from Sonic Implants, and the fact is they sound better than the B4 ... But, of course, you don't have the flexibility of being able to adjust every knob and drawbar. You only have that one sound. Still the samples will be my choice, because they sound so much smoother and real.

tombuur said:
I have done a test run of that and found samples are better.
No way! Well okay,perhaps for some presets.

If you know how to tweak the B4, it's just beautiful! :)

VSampler

I have had Sonar 3 for a month and just tonight finally got around to installing and registering VSampler. Pretty neat.

Couple questions, though:

Now,when inserting the DXi> VSampler... there are 2 listed, with slightly different spellings. VSampler 3, and VSamp3 DXi... (or something or other).

Normal? Are they not both the same thing? If so, how do you eliminate one of them?

If they are different, how so?

Todd

StevenLindsey said:
I'm wanting that NI B4 organ software.

I want that too, but can't convince my bean-counter (a.k.a. wife). In the meantime, I have been amusing myself with this freebie VST - http://www.soundfonts.it/vst/ - which isn't too bad at all.

Also, if anyone is using Reason v2.5, they released a free 120-ishMb Refill pack for download containing some awesome vintage keyboards, all eminently well sampled - www.propellerheads.se

Ciao,

Q.

Back