Universal Audio Vs. Waves Plugins

What company produces better plugins?

• Universal Audio

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Waves

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
UAD are more of what I'm looking for.

Recently re-joined the Waves bunch (mostly under protest, but they do have a few plugs that are somewhat unique).

It's probably best to judge them on a plugin by plugin basis rather than a general opinion. Once I realized I couldn't drive the UAD stuff (many years ago) I stopped using them and started buying the real thing.

To me, UAD is more 'legit' than Waves, mainly because if someone has UAD, you know they bought it.

I have UAD myself, and while I like the DSP cards, they need to be *a lot* cheaper.

I made the mistake of starting out with some Waves plug-ins. Not long after I got my 1st UAD card AND a bill from Waves telling me that I had to pay them some kind of annual "plug-in maintenance fee," I moved my Waves plug-ins to the Trash and deleted them. UAD is like a big fat cheeseburger and a cold beer. Waves is like a cardboard picture of a cheeseburger and beer. And on top of that, Waves expects me to keep paying them over and over for plug-ins I already bought? LOL. Like I said, My waves plug-ins and the $600 spent on them ended up in the trash.

I made the mistake of starting out with some Waves plug-ins. Not long after I got my 1st UAD card AND a bill from Waves telling me that I had to pay them some kind of annual "plug-in maintenance fee," I moved my Waves plug-ins to the Trash and deleted them. UAD is like a big fat cheeseburger and a cold beer. Waves is like a cardboard picture of a cheeseburger and beer. And on top of that, Waves expects me to keep paying them over and over for plug-ins I already bought? LOL. Like I said, My waves plug-ins and the $600 spent on them ended up in the trash.

Really? I've never heard of this, is there any documentation saying that? How long ago was that?

Really? I've never heard of this, is there any documentation saying that? How long ago was that?

Sounds like he's talking about WUP, which is waves update plan.

You don't have to pay it, but it entitles you to 'free' updates when new versions are released.

I think that's why you see so many people on Wavesv5.x, even now. That's what I used until a few months ago.
I just paid a one off, capped upgrade charge to get from v5 to v9, or whatever is current.

Is the same not applicable to new versions of UAD software? Was dead set on waves until this thread, thanks a lot guys

I think this refers to the WUP, which you don't have to pay if you don't need/want to upgrade to newer versions or get new plugins released for your bundle.

Love UAD...upgraded to the new cards recently and added the new 1176 plugs...holy shit theyre brilliant, eat up the dsp but nothing touches them!

Is the same not applicable to new versions of UAD software? Was dead set on waves until this thread, thanks a lot guys

They did phase out the older version one cards this year...not to say theyd stop working just they couldnt use the newer plugs and there would be no more support for them

they offered $200 on each card so I sold one on ebay and traded two in...the thing is one of the new cards have the same power as just under three of the old version one cards...for $400+ I gave myself around 4-5 times the power...with focusrite liquid I dont use a single native plugin for comps or EQ in a project, certainly helps the CPU but more importantly they sound better imo

people complain that UAD are expensive...I dont believe that at all when you look at the big picture...the three 1176 comps are on sale at $149, with an added $50 off voucher they cost the same as a night out, and there isnt anything touching them for quality, by waves or anyone else..I have the NI/softube versions that came with Komplete 8 ultimate and they are like freeware in comparison

Yeah, there is something funny about the price of software, compared to a good night on the town. Well, a great night on the town anyway. Not much different, if you do it right. :D

Back