UAD pultec-pro plug-in too bright?

dontouch

With this plug, I often have to use lots of high freq. attenuation(5,10,20k) in hopes for taming the brightness esp. on the OH, snare, and vocals. If I don't do that, my mix would come out a lot brighter than the professional mixes. Is that the case with the hardware version? Any comment on the coloration of this plug-in?

My favorite setting on the Pultec (both hardware and reasonably accurate software, like UAD's version which is probably the single greatest hardware emulation of all time) is "ON" and nothing else just for that "extension" in the top end.

That said - I don't use them often - And I certainly wouldn't bother if it was giving me bad feedback...

Maybe the sound source is too bright. Is there a possibility to re-record using different mics or settings?

weird, 'cause I found that the Uad pultec is amongst the sweetest hi freq. eq. Do you use the Q button (at the bottom and center of the plug)?
What I do 99% of the times is turning that knob at full (clockwise) for a max. wide range Q. The freq. I choose in the selector button is 14-16 k. Then I can boost a lot of hi and still sounding sweet. I may also gently cut the hi too, choosing the 20k freq. So different combinations of this 3 controls should give you sweet hi. If not, it is because your sources is way more too bright and harsh. Recording with digital, it's important to not focusing the micing on the bright part of a song. Using ribbon too help a lot, and then at the mix you can boost plenty of hi and get more air. Stav, explain it really well in his book.

good luck.

Hey there, yeah to me the eq is fine- boost or cut. In fact it's one style (PSP's as well) where I'll use high Q boosts.

Back