Twisted Gloria!

Anfontan

Banned by eurt
Here is my sick cover of the song 'Gloria' by Van Morrison. I used to play it in clubs and was one day fooling around with some dissonant scales and found that they fit the song fairly well, and added a new twist to it as well.
It's still in rough shape so any comments or opinions on it are welcome.:)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6776958

I was wondering what you meant by a dissonant scale... now I know. ha ha ha. Yeah, it adds a new dimension. Sounds like you had some fun there. I don't have any critiques. Just enjoyed the song.

Cool man. :)

I really like the "tone" of the recording. It's nice and smooth. What are you processing the mix with?

Those little arpeggios work well in the second verse....

The dissonent scale solo works surprising well....like the standard stuff too....:D:cool::D:cool:

I was wondering what you meant by a dissonant scale... now I know. ha ha ha. Yeah, it adds a new dimension. Sounds like you had some fun there. I don't have any critiques. Just enjoyed the song.

Cool man. :)

I'm sure there is a name for the scale, it's basically root-#4th-octave accending x 2 and raise it all a 1/2 step up the neck only decending..

I really like the "tone" of the recording. It's nice and smooth. What are you processing the mix with?

The basic framework was in Sonar SE-mainly for the EZDrummer tracks and guitar tracks. The guitar tracks were a Tele copy and an Epi Les Paul Standard direct through a Johnson J-Station, Bass was my Ibanez Jazz Bass through the J-Station as well. Mixing was done in Abode Audition 1.5 using one of the Mastering presets. Vocal was through an RMS-4 ribbon into an ART Tube MP Studio preamp.

Those little arpeggios work well in the second verse....

That was my MIM Fender Splattercaster in the neck and middle position (the funkier sounding combination) doing the root & 5th as a melody to the chord changes. The Strat was also on all the solos, though a Boss Blues Driver and an ancient EH Memory Man analog delay-from the mid 70's! And the Strat was plugged into a small 15 watt tube amp called a Johnson Laredo.
The dissonent scale solo works surprising well....like the standard stuff too....:D:cool::D:cool:

Thanks for the compliments-I used to play the song in honky tonks and clubs in about the same version and I never got any nasty comments about the bizarre way I played it-could be the crowds were almost passed out though maybe??????;)

This sounds sooooo cool. I haven't heard the original in years. From what I do remember, I am pretty sure this sounds better.

No nits from me. I am just enjoying the listen.

This sounds sooooo cool. I haven't heard the original in years. From what I do remember, I am pretty sure this sounds better.

No nits from me. I am just enjoying the listen.

Well, I can agree my version is different-but my singing is far from Van Morrison's on the original.

I forgot to also mention on the last post that there is a Roland piano part and my 12 string with the magnetic pickup through the little tube amp as well-listen for the jangle!

There sounds as if a blanket has been thrown over everything lest the cymbals. Otherwise, sounds pretty good.

Well, I can agree my version is different-but my singing is far from Van Morrison's on the original.

I forgot to also mention on the last post that there is a Roland piano part and my 12 string with the magnetic pickup through the little tube amp as well-listen for the jangle!
I was going more along the lines of the arrangement! I liked what you did better than the original, which is still a kick ass tune... :cool:

This is GREAT!

You've done a great job of capturing the spirit of the song. Vocals are spot on.

My only nit is that the lead guitar that eventually comes in is a bit over powering in volume, but (I'm monitoring with headphones), so take that with a grain of salt.

I like what you've done! :)

There sounds as if a blanket has been thrown over everything lest the cymbals. Otherwise, sounds pretty good.

I suppose I've had so many overly bright mixes that I've gone to the other extreme. Thanks a lot for the listen and the critique-I'll check into a little more mids in the mix.

This is GREAT!

You've done a great job of capturing the spirit of the song. Vocals are spot on.

My only nit is that the lead guitar that eventually comes in is a bit over powering in volume, but (I'm monitoring with headphones), so take that with a grain of salt.

I like what you've done! :)

All I added was some compression to the solo-I'm contemplating (maybe) retracking the solo parts. That first part was really feeding back in a cool way though-the last note just wanted to scream!!!!
I tried my Epi Les Paul on the solo but the Strat just worked out SO well IMO anyway. Glad it sounded good to you-hope to see that Tele on the Tele Appreciation group soon!!!:)

I suppose I've had so many overly bright mixes that I've gone to the other extreme. Thanks a lot for the listen and the critique-I'll check into a little more mids in the mix.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I did so many bass heavy mixes that I find myself mixing bass light now.

Just remember your reference mix list and keep them cued up while you're mixing. Check them every 10-15 minutes throught the same monitoring setup you use for your song, and work toward that goal.

On this one, the sounds are consistent, so you might get away with slapping on a couple of dB of shelf at 5-7k right across the master buss, as long as your cymbals don't get too sizzly.

Scott
Not an audio engineer.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I did so many bass heavy mixes that I find myself mixing bass light now.

Just remember your reference mix list and keep them cued up while you're mixing. Check them every 10-15 minutes throught the same monitoring setup you use for your song, and work toward that goal.

On this one, the sounds are consistent, so you might get away with slapping on a couple of dB of shelf at 5-7k right across the master buss, as long as your cymbals don't get too sizzly.

Scott
Not an audio engineer.

Thanks for the info-sounds like a good plan for my next mix!

I was going more along the lines of the arrangement! I liked what you did better than the original, which is still a kick ass tune... :cool:

I had some great inspirations from various bands I was in over the last 30 years-good musicians, wild times and crazy gigs and clubs. This was just my revisiting the way I played it back in the mid 1980's only with the chance to edit it and fine tune it.

Tony--

Typing as I listen:

Nice job, man! I'm liking this song! The vocal harmonies on the chorus are great. So's the clean guitar lick...

Okay here comes the dissonant scale...the thing about something like this is you have sound like you mean it or it sounds like a mistake--and you sound like you mean it--which makes it work. And nice pull offs near the end of the solo. Quite frankly, I like your version better than the original!

It's a good thing I downloaded this Sunday ...soundclick is not cooperating today!! I want some more listens and I do like to hit the soundclick button when I can to give you the extra plays...but not today!!!;)

Back