Twisted Gloria!

This is awesome. What are you using for drums? (ah, ezdrummer, cool) Maybe experiment with the vocals during the chorus...volume swelll and maybe a fade? I was thinking maybe run the vocals through a distortion pedal plug-in for a bit more grit during the verse but it could be overkill.

The disonant solo is maybe a little too much for me but i totally get what you were going for. The recording is very tight though, really crisp.

Hi Tony!...I really like this take on Gloria...a song in my opinion, that never gets worn out on reneditions. You put your sig on it and that is great!! No nits from me...I like the slightly complex-simplicity you've given it...and the dissonant scales rock on it!!:D

pretty cool man....I like this a lot.....could be a little crisper in the mix but, thats just my opinion....good job!!!:D

This is really cool, you've got the basic classic sound on the song plus the originality in the solo. Good job on the bg vox. Enjoyed it much!

Sounding pretty good Tony....I'd like just a bit more bottom end...drums and bass could use a bit of that boost for me. Nice version though...good job on the vocals man. :D

I like the pic you added to the song.... ;)

Listening to mix 2 now...

I still can't say anything bad. You got the vocals to fit a little better into the mix, I see.

Enough highs that it doesn't sound like it's under a blanket...

Yep, a great mix again Tony... :D

The dissonance is cool - reminds me of the guitarist from the Voidoids/Lou Reed/Matthew Sweet - Robert Quine.
The only prob for me is a perceived lack of excitement in the drums.
Cool song, cool arrangement, cool recording and ,well, cool.
Patti Smiths version was also a significant redefinition.
Gloria the Milkmaid!

Mix # 3 is here!

I've done another re-mix and tried to make a few changes that people have commented on. I thinned out a few parts to give it some more dynamics rather than a wall of guitars, added more harmonies, and fixed a few ragged sounding parts as well. Hope I'm getting closer to a decent mix....:confused:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6789144

I think I created a monster... you changed the pic again...

Listening now to mix #3...

I know you wanted to thin it out, but it's possible it lost too much weight! :eek:

I think you need to bring some of the wall back! But that's a personal taste thing.

The longer I listen, the more it makes sense that you did it that way. It builds the dynamic.

The dissonant scale is more prominent in this mix.

I'd say you got it where it needs to be! :D

Yep, Rokket's right--the dissonant scale is more prominent; but the changes that you made that allow that guitar part to jump out are also allowing the lead vocal to do the same.

The vocal already sounded good, but now it sounds even better, and the mix behind it seems more cohesive. I don't know what else you may (or may not) have in mind--but I'd call this one done. Great job Tony!

The arrangement sounds good now. The extra guitar(s) in the chorus - along with the harmonies build it up nicely. Good idea to keep it rockin' after the second verse right to the end. Lead guitar is on par with the vocals as it should be.... It does seem slightly brighter, dynamic. Good mix....:D:cool:

The arrangement sounds good now. The extra guitar(s) in the chorus - along with the harmonies build it up nicely. Good idea to keep it rockin' after the second verse right to the end. Lead guitar is on par with the vocals as it should be.... It does seem slightly brighter, dynamic. Good mix....:D:cool:
Ditto....good work man:D

I think I created a monster... you changed the pic again...
Listening now to mix #3...

I know you wanted to thin it out, but it's possible it lost too much weight! :eek:

I think you need to bring some of the wall back! But that's a personal taste thing.

The longer I listen, the more it makes sense that you did it that way. It builds the dynamic.

The dissonant scale is more prominent in this mix.

I'd say you got it where it needs to be! :D

Actually all 3 mixes are still up for comparison--as well as all 3 pictures as well...;)
It just seems like rocking out all through the song was too much-my ears needed to relax a bit and thinning it out helped it. I may have gone a bit overboard on the backing vocals-kind of sounds a bit like Queen...maybe they need dropped down by a dB or so?

Sounding pretty good Tony....I'd like just a bit more bottom end...drums and bass could use a bit of that boost for me. Nice version though...good job on the vocals man. :D

I added a touch more low end to the drums and lowered the level thru the wall of guitar parts-

The dissonance is cool - reminds me of the guitarist from the Voidoids/Lou Reed/Matthew Sweet - Robert Quine.
The only prob for me is a perceived lack of excitement in the drums.
Cool song, cool arrangement, cool recording and ,well, cool.
Patti Smiths version was also a significant redefinition.
Gloria the Milkmaid!

The dissonant guitar part is all from my twisted mind-thanks for the comparison. I added a slight bit of reverb to the drum as well hope it raises the excitement factor a small bit! I'll definitely check out Patti Smith's version~

nice man
i've added it to my favorites

Thank you for checking it out-hope you check out mix #3 as well...

This is awesome. What are you using for drums? (ah, ezdrummer, cool) Maybe experiment with the vocals during the chorus...volume swelll and maybe a fade? I was thinking maybe run the vocals through a distortion pedal plug-in for a bit more grit during the verse but it could be overkill.

The disonant solo is maybe a little too much for me but i totally get what you were going for. The recording is very tight though, really crisp.

Thanks Paul, the song was alway a fun rocker at gigs so I thought I'd relive my old version. The dissonant part will grow on you someday-and am I going to here that Les Paul of your's on this forum sometime soon, by the way?:cool:

This is really cool, you've got the basic classic sound on the song plus the originality in the solo. Good job on the bg vox. Enjoyed it much!

I was doing my best to make it my own-thanks a lot!

Yep, Rokket's right--the dissonant scale is more prominent; but the changes that you made that allow that guitar part to jump out are also allowing the lead vocal to do the same.
The vocal already sounded good, but now it sounds even better, and the mix behind it seems more cohesive. I don't know what else you may (or may not) have in mind--but I'd call this one done. Great job Tony!

The lead parts were all done on my Fender Splattercaster-a MIM Strat with a insane paint job-and I've installed GFS pickups including a Gretsch style humbucker in the bridge. It's not far from the way your White Strat is set up.
Splattercastermod1.jpg

The guitar that I was adding in the chorus is a Tele copy that I've really grown to love these days. A Tele has a sound that fills a mix very well and compliments a Les Paul very well-the other rhythm gtr by the way, was a Epi Les Paul.:D

Ditto....good work man:D

Thanks Jay, and congratulations on your new CD!

I like mix #1 the best...all over performance and sound.:)

True-you are a very devoted and meticulous listener when you come to the MP3 clinic. You probably listen dozens of times or more where most people will give 1 or 2 listens. You probably memorize the song lyrics and melodies-and are honest in your critiques. And I will always welcome your opinions, Thank you!;)

Back