Triple P-90 Guitars

Well they recommended a neck pickup in the mid position, but it seems that it is a matter of preference. So here is another ignorant guitar question....

What is the difference between a bridge and neck pickup. I always though they were the same thing and only sounded different because of their position not because of their construction.

In a "matched" set, the bridge pickup is typically wound a bit hotter to compensate for the fact that the strings' vibration have less amplitude right up close to the bridge. Hotter pickups normally have a bit less top end and a fatter middle, so that actually helps compensate for the brightness of the undertones that are picked up at that position.

That's my understanding of it as a player.

Well they recommended a neck pickup in the mid position, but it seems that it is a matter of preference. So here is another ignorant guitar question....

What is the difference between a bridge and neck pickup. I always though they were the same thing and only sounded different because of their position not because of their construction.
Maybe they just mean that it's RWRP from a bridge pickup. If that's the case you'll want a bridge pickup in the neck position.

Actually most of the major pickup manufacturers have info on their websites to help you with pickup selection. It will help you answer this question.

Zaph is right. the bridge position pickup is typically wound hotter, but that information is only marginally useful if you don't know how hot your existing pickup is. this involves how many winds of wire are used AND the strength of the magnets.

Actually most of the major pickup manufacturers have info on their websites to help you with pickup selection. It will help you answer this question.

Zaph is right. the bridge position pickup is typically wound hotter, but that information is only marginally useful if you don't know how hot your existing pickup is. this involves how many winds of wire are used AND the strength of the magnets.
All that may very well be true, but you'll still want a pickup in the middle which is RWRP from the neck and bridge p'ups so that you'll buck hum in positions 2 and 4.

All that may very well be true, but you'll still want a pickup in the middle which is RWRP from the neck and bridge p'ups so that you'll buck hum in positions 2 and 4.

You'd need to know the polarity of the existing pickups to determine what to buy. I bet it will be difficult to get that type of info from the guitar's manufacturer.

With a single coil he can simply wire it backwards and flip the magnet if needed. There's a 50% chance he won't have to do anything.

Back