Triple P-90 Guitars

Come to think of it, I've never seen anybody do three P-90s with Strat-style controls. Maybe it's out there. S-500 controls would be even better.

I've got it!! A G&L ASAT Jr (all mahogany in Gibson heritage cherry) with 3 Fralin P-90s. S-500 controls and G&L whammy. This is getting interesting.

Come to think of it, I've never seen anybody do three P-90s with Strat-style controls. Maybe it's out there. S-500 controls would be even better.
Well, that's what the two guitars I linked to in the first post do. 3 P-90s, 5-way switch.

I just got myself one of these and was considering some P90s.

Any suggestions on what kind? I don't want to put a ton of money into a $150 guitar and I can't play for shit so.....

Would I put a bridge or neck pickup in the middle? Totally ignorant about guitars here.:o

http://www.rondomusic.com/wt445.html

wt445tbk5.jpg

If those are standard humbuckers, P-90s will not be a direct fit. P-90s are a bit wider than humbuckers, and a bit smaller in height. So you'd have to widen the holes and find some way to fill the gap in the other direction.

Any set of three P-90s is going to be worth a lot more than a $150 guitar. I hear Lollars are good - perhpaps Mutt could chime in on other good ones.

Lindy Fralin Makes a great P-90.

He also makes one he calls a P-92 which I am using in my Heritage H-555. Stellar P-90 tone in a drop-in humbucker replacement. It has two coils configured like a P-Bass pickup. It is even available with a black cover (the cover is required).

Attachments

• Lindy_Fralin_P92_Set_Nickel_3535_a.jpg
    Lindy_Fralin_P92_Set_Nickel_3535_a.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 48
I have installed the 4 way switches in almost all of my Teles-I found a schematic in the Tele Forum that has the series and parallel positions in the middle and the neck and bridge in the normal positions-it's a lot easier for me to find the pickup positions that way. I think it was posted by Rob DiStefano-an East Coast repairman I believe~
RobDiStefanosTele4-wayswitchhook-1.jpg

The 3 P-90 guitars are interesting, but they sure locate the switches in them in awkward places..:confused:

I have installed the 4 way switches in almost all of my Teles-I found a schematic in the Tele Forum that has the series and parallel positions in the middle and the neck and bridge in the normal positions-it's a lot easier for me to find the pickup positions that way. I think it was posted by Rob DiStefano-an East Coast repairman I believe~
My Tele Deluxe has a pushbutton switch in the middle of the volume control knob. Push it down to get series, up for parallel.

If those are standard humbuckers, P-90s will not be a direct fit. P-90s are a bit wider than humbuckers, and a bit smaller in height. So you'd have to widen the holes and find some way to fill the gap in the other direction.

Any set of three P-90s is going to be worth a lot more than a $150 guitar. I hear Lollars are good - perhpaps Mutt could chime in on other good ones.

Lindy Fralin Makes a great P-90.

He also makes one he calls a P-92 which I am using in my Heritage H-555. Stellar P-90 tone in a drop-in humbucker replacement. It has two coils configured like a P-Bass pickup. It is even available with a black cover (the cover is required).

Thanks for the info guys. I definitely don't want to spend too much although I could always use a good set up pickups in future guitars. I bought this thing to tinker with and learn a little more about guitars in general.

I actually really like how it plays. I need to tweak the action a bit but the neck feels great and the shape and weight of it feels good as well. It looks great too. It looks purple in the picture but it's actually a black finish that's transparent enough to just barely see the wood grain through.:cool:

Do you guys know anything about these?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/me90glbltral.html

Pretty cheap humbucker sized "P90s" would I just be trading one cheap set of pickup for another? I've heard good things about guitar fetish parts but never anything specific to pickups.

Nothing other than having seen them on the GF web site.

I do have a Xaviere guitar with GFS strat pickups and it sounds stellar.

I'm just gonna go for it. What have I got to lose besides $100 and a few hours of my time.:D

Which one should I order for the middle position? Bridge or neck?

Well they recommended a neck pickup in the mid position, but it seems that it is a matter of preference. So here is another ignorant guitar question....

What is the difference between a bridge and neck pickup. I always though they were the same thing and only sounded different because of their position not because of their construction.

Back