Transfering songs from Yamaha MD8 to home computer and beyond...

Roch

Could somebody explain how I get tracks from minidisk to my computer so as I can burn them on cd???

I am not quite sure.

I have a patch chord (stereo rca jacks into 1/16") .

I don't know how to set up the pc to download the tracks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roch

Yo Roch:

You will be sending your recorded MD8 tracks out through the stereo outs on the back of the unit.

Now, I don't use a PC but you need to have, I think, RCA connections plus a program for the PC.

Maybe someone with PC savvy can jump in and make it clearer?

Green Hornet

First you need a 2 track editing program similar to Sound Forge Studio or better.
Next you need to get a Y adapter with 2 RCA connectors on one end and 1/8" mini stereo plug on the other.

Then connect the mini plug into the line input of the sound card.

Open up the editor and press record as close as possible as you press play on the md8.

When song is over, hit stop on sound Forge and save the file.

If no editing is required, burn the CD using the functions in the Sound Forge program.

Anyother questions?

SoMm

First you need a 2 track editing program similar to Sound Forge Studio or better.
Next you need to get a Y adapter with 2 RCA connectors on one end and 1/8" mini stereo plug on the other.

Then connect the mini plug into the line input of the sound card.

Open up the editor and press record as close as possible as you press play on the md8.

When song is over, hit stop on sound Forge and save the file.

If no editing is required, burn the CD using the functions in the Sound Forge program.

Anyother questions?

SoMm

hi' im not sure what you mean? don't you need to connect rca cables in the back of the recorder?

Could somebody explain how I get tracks from minidisk to my computer so as I can burn them on cd???

I am not quite sure.

I have a patch chord (stereo rca jacks into 1/16") .

I don't know how to set up the pc to download the tracks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roch
People are assuming you're referring to the two-channel mixdown. I think what you want to do is transfer all 8 channels to your PC. For that you need a unit that has 8-channel input and a USB port. Then you just take the eight channels from your MD8 into your unit, and then connect your unit to the USB or audio in of your computer. From there, almost any Audio Software will read it.
The same unit (and there are many of them available) will usually be able to do this in reverse, too, and transfer your 8-channel computer recordings to your MD8.
It's just a shame that the MD8 wasn't designed with a USB port, but at the time that wasn't thought important enough.

Old thread I know, but I still have an MD4. Same thing but only 4 tracks. Even though it records digitally any transfers are analog through the outputs.

It make a nice ‘scratchpad’ for ideas though.

Too bad there’s no way to do a direct digital transfer.

(Quote)
"I think what you want to do is transfer all 8 channels to your PC. For that you need a unit that has 8-channel input and a USB port. Then you just take the eight channels from your MD8 into your unit, and then connect your unit to the USB or audio in of your computer"
(End Quote)

But...unless I am missing something, how would he get 8 individual tracks out of a stereo-mini-to-2-RCA connection?
Does the minidisc unit have an export function that allows you to select and export tracks in pairs or such?
(I have never used MD, so maybe that's possible.)

In any case, don't ever use the terrible analog "mic/line" input on the PC' soundcard; at least get a USB interface like a FocusRite.

C.

OK, I looked it up myself:
The MD8 does indeed have 8 analog outs for the tracks, so basically (as mentioned) use an 8-channel USB interface (or get creative and use a 2-channel one, doing 2 tracks at a time and finding a way to sync them in the PC.)
Learned something new...
C

Back