Torn between different equipment, HELP!

C-SLIKK

I know people say stay away from USB mics, but I've been doing a lot of research on the editorskeys SL150 and the editorskeys portable vocal booth, and the quality tests people have put up from the microphone untweaked has sounded great to me, personally..but its a usb mic.

YouTube - Editors Keys SL150 USB Microphone Review - TheRecordingRevolution.com is one video. another one, a sound engineer compared the Sl150 to a $2000 studio mic.

So i'm torn between these 2 things.

I'm going to be buying the Portable Vocal Booth regardless, whether that be the sE Reflexion Filter, the Realtraps Portable Vocal Booth, or Editorkeys' version, (please don't tell me to DIY with a blanket, i'm aware there is cheaper ways, but I like the style of these 3 filters and i travel with my microphone) but i also have the options of buying the Heil Sound PR40, Behringer B-1(ive heard A LOT of good things about this mic), or the Rode NT-1 A microphone, or of course, the SL150.

Which mic would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend more than $300 microphone, considering the fact I still need to buy a preamp and a sound card for my pc also, plus the PVB.

Overall, im looking to spend about 800-100 dollars. The lower the better, but I don't want to sacrifice a noticeable quality change just to save $100.

What microphone would you guys recommend out of the ones I listed, or, one of your own(please don't be biased just because you have the mic, I've done research and have narrowed it down to the ones I listed, but there might be some that i've missed)?

What pre-amp would you recommend for connecting to a PC?

Do you guys have any sound card suggestions also?

Thank you.

**EDIT** Forgot to mention, I'm recording Hip Hop vocals. I have a semi-deeper voice, and I tend to record close to my mic(which I don't know if that information matters)

Currently I have an MXL990, and for a first mic, it was decent. The quality was OK, but I've dropped it a couple of times transporting the microphone and I don't know whether it's I'm expecting better quality, or if for the simple fact that i've dropped it, but the mic quality sounds like it's been getting worse for the past 3 years. Why would that be?

**EDIT #2** One more question. The other day I went back to listen to some of my old tracks, and when it's mixed down with just the vocals/dubs, the quality sounds 7/10. But when I play it mixed down with the beat, it sounds like the quality of the vocals dropped down to 3/10.

Last edited:
I've been getting great sounding vocals from my Audio Technica AT2035 cardoid condenser mic going through a BOSS VE 20 Vocal Processor Pedal into my Presonus AudioBox USB into my Presonus Studio One Pro recording software. I record rap vocals and soft acoustic love songs. AT2035 is $100-150.00....I've also heard the AT3035 mentioned several times and I'm thinking about giving that a whirl in the future. If there is no talent going through the microphone, the microphone is the least of one's worrie.

Also, I record rap vocals and one of my good friends is a big black guy 275lbs. deeper voice. Sounds crystal clear - Phenomenal even through the Audio Technica. It comes with the shockmount and attaches to any microphone stand. You just need a pop filter and you are ready to go. Doon't get that USB mic if you can't turn off the preamp inside of it because you may want to use a Tube Preamp which will sound much more professional.\

I have the sE Reflexion filter, the larger one (bought used). It's smaller than it looks (and heavier). You want a side address mic so you can get it close to the filter without the XLR plug being in the way. It's probably not small enough to pack in a suitcase. And it's one heavy mofo. But it does seem to make a difference. At least if you record in proximity of a wall. Or need to shield from wind or from road noises or just from your computer. Otherwise not much there that you couldn't DIY or accomplish with proper room treatment.

I use an AT3035 with that filter. Kind of nice, but once you put that plus sE filter plus pop filter, plus whatever, it's a bit unruly. As in forget about putting that on a boom arm. Otherwise DIY has it's perks. Which you might at least try, it should at least give you a feel for what direction to head without spending on a lot of cash on something that you may not even need. Or use often enough to justify the cost.

YouTube - DIY Portable Recording Studio

As far as aging microphones, they can get dirty if you don't protect them. Which generally results in a loss of high end. They still have that high end, it just gets attenuated IMO. Some EQ to bump the highs can do wonders. Or it could just be my/your aging bodies, we lose high end sensitivity as we age as well.

If I may offer a suggestion...

Buy Shure X2u XLR-to-USB Microphone Adapter | Audio Interfaces | Musician's Friend

It has phantom power so you can use it with a condenser mic, and since it's Shure, I would expect reasonable quality.

This would give you the convenience of a USB mic, without making your mic a paperweight should your recording needs change. And you could get the mic that best compliments your voice...

I have MXL MXL USB Mic Mate Classic and more Audio Interfaces at GuitarCenter.com. currently.

I've been getting great sounding vocals from my Audio Technica AT2035 cardoid condenser mic going through a BOSS VE 20 Vocal Processor Pedal into my Presonus AudioBox USB into my Presonus Studio One Pro recording software. I record rap vocals and soft acoustic love songs. AT2035 is $100-150.00....I've also heard the AT3035 mentioned several times and I'm thinking about giving that a whirl in the future. If there is no talent going through the microphone, the microphone is the least of one's worrie.

Would it be possible for the AT2035 to connect directly into the Presonus AudioBox USB into Reaper Recording Software?

or..

What is the BOSS VE 20 used for that you can't do with VST plugins? From what I read, it presets your Reverb, along with other settings, while you record. But isn't that something I can do during my editing stages after recording?

Back