Top 10 guitar riffs and licks.

hixmix

Halibut, North Dakota
What ten licks and riffs should every guitarist know? Choices need not be limited to one to one style of music and should range from the 1950's to the present. If you have more than ten you may list those too.

I think classic rock stuff is killer, even if you want to use crunchier tones....

Almost anything AC/DC, some Steppenwolf...you gotta love Carpet, or Born...

Mississipi Queen is killer, and maybe something like Come Together, and Dear Mr. Fantasy...just some pretty recognizeable stuff....but fun. :D

The "G" run.

DUH! :D

Walking blues, Travis picking, 12-bar blues, 16-bar blues, Bell Bottom Blues, US Blues, shuffle, breakdown, meltdown, get down.........

and personally, I think every guitarist should be able to tie a California hogtie knot. :D :eek:

Growing up...

the essentials to be cool were to know, the main riffs in Cowboys from Hell, Master of Puppets, Jump In the Fire, and foremost, Tornado of Souls.

- Smoke on the Water
- Freebird
- Highway to Hell
- Stranglehold
- Crazy Train
- Paranoid
- Iron Man
- Blues Brothers theme (Peter Gunn?)
- Hells Bells
- Living After Midnight
- Stairway to Heaven

whats sad to me is that these days, unless you can 'shred', noone considers you a great guitar player. but those are also the type of people that like limp bizkit, so i guess it doesnt really matter.

that every guitarist should know? nah...just some good ones...

three hours - nick drake

the stone - dave matthews

black dog - led zep

sweet child o mine - gnr

long distance runaround - yes

neon - john mayer (seriously, its really good. no i don't listen to him, yes he is quite the tool, but this riff is undeniably awesome)

..that's all i can think of...

-Paranoid (B.S)
-Symptom of the universe B.S)
-hells bells (AC/DC)
-For whom the bell tolls (duh!)
-Hells bells (AC/DC)
-Symphony of destruction (Megadeth)
-Hard loving man (Deep purple)
-Easy Living (Uriah.h)
-Speed king (Deep.p)
-whoevermade the classic riff used by J.Lee Hooker and G.Thorogood.??
-Shitload of Pink Floyd
-Hellpile of more modern stuff.
-Johnny b Good (Chuck Berry)

...UN-ending list.. I personally only can play some 3-5 of those, always been lazy to learn other peoples stuff.. :(

I'm surprised that the Sweet child of Mine opening has only shown up in this thread once. Definitely that, the opening of Stairway to Heaven, Purple Haze, Hells Bells, Cowboys From Hell, The Trooper, Crazy Train, and Tush.

I like this thread lots. There are definitely some snippets from the classic rock repertoire, that if played perfectly will get oohs and ahhs.

Funk #49 by the James Gang (Joe Walsh et al)
Intro lick to The Spirit of Radio (aka Spirit of the Radio) by Rush
Anything by Zep, Floyd, early Yes (others have mentioned these)

....and I couldn't agree more about Sweet Child o' Mine.

Rock on bros and sis's,

JD

How about a few oldies? Change a note or two or the tempo and some of these keep showing up.
Pretty Woman
I Feel Fine
Smokestack Lighting
Jumping Jack Flash
Sunshine Of Your Love
House Of The Rising Sun
Roll Over Beethoven
Proud Mary
Witchy Woman
Jessica
Those are in no order of importance, just a lot of licks worth learning, I hear bits and pieces of them over and over in a lot of other songs.

boogieman481 said:
I have been playing for 8 years... LOVE Zepplin... but I still have never tried to learn Stairway....

Oh just do it already, man. If you get the opportunity to play it on an electric 12 string like JP, you'll be glad you learned it.

That riff from Jam Back At The House that Jimi Hendrix did at Woodstock and any 9 others by him too, because I can't think of others and something is calling me.

Back