Tonewoods....

Yes you can. People do it all the time. Put a hot humbucker in a Strat, and it will no longer sound anything like a bright and twangy typical Strat.

It will sound like a strat with a humbucker in it. It will also have the characteristic tones that it's body and neck construction give it.

I sort of agree. Body and neck construction, as in build type and assembly, yes, but the wood? No. In reality it will sound like a Strat bodied bolt-on neck guitar with a humbucker in it. Pretty much like any other Strat bodied bolt-on neck guitar with a humbucker in it. It won't sound like a "Strat" anymore because a Strat sound is predominantly a single coil sound. Put an active pickup like an EMG in a Strat, and it will mostly sound just like any other Super Strat with EMGs. The wood doesn't make a Strat sound like a Strat. Not to the extent that the pickups do.

" No one is saying that wood makes no difference, but does it make as big a difference as manufacturers and cork-sniffers may want you to think? I don't think so."

Right on, Gergola!

The rest is manufacturing hype.

Just like everything else in the music industry.

Music industry sucks.

The last guitar I build, will be made from "Hastelloy X".

Application

Hastelloy X is recommended especially for use in furnace applications because it has unusual resistance to oxidizing, reducing, and neutral atmospheres. Furnace rolls made of this alloy were still in good condition after operating for 8,700 hours at 2150 °F (1177°C).
Alloy X also has performed well in jet engine tailpipes, afterburner components, cabin heaters, and other aircraft parts.

Oxidation Resistance

Hastelloy X is a nickel base alloy that possesses exceptional strength and oxidation resistance up to 2200°F. It has also been found to be exceptionally resistant to stress-corrosion cracking in petrochemical applications. The alloy has excellent forming and welding characteristics.

Maybe throw in an Inconel nut, and 306 SS bridge.

The last guitar I build, will be made from "Hastelloy X".

Application

Hastelloy X is recommended especially for use in furnace applications because it has unusual resistance to oxidizing, reducing, and neutral atmospheres. Furnace rolls made of this alloy were still in good condition after operating for 8,700 hours at 2150 °F (1177°C).
Alloy X also has performed well in jet engine tailpipes, afterburner components, cabin heaters, and other aircraft parts.

Oxidation Resistance

Hastelloy X is a nickel base alloy that possesses exceptional strength and oxidation resistance up to 2200°F. It has also been found to be exceptionally resistant to stress-corrosion cracking in petrochemical applications. The alloy has excellent forming and welding characteristics.

Maybe throw in an Inconel nut, and 306 SS bridge.

That'll be nice the next time you have a gig on the sun. Or Houston :)

I used to think that the type of woods mattered, but have come to the conclusion that they really don't. I have heard and played some guitars at NAMM shows made of materials other than wood, and the tones they got were equal to the tones I got out of my Tele's, Strats, or LP's. Hate to say that, but that's truth as my ears and I find it to be.. However, I can't say the same about acoustics, but since this thread is about electrics, that's a discussion for another time.

Hashed and re-hashed. Some (very few, maybe only one) insist that the tone of a guitar is completely and significantly differed by the wood it's made of, even down to the individual woods of the same variety. This simply is not possible. If all Strats sounded significantly different from each other there would be no "Strat sound." There are ash Strats and maple neck Strats and rosewood Strats and they all have the same BASIC sound. It is NOT identical, but close enough for the majority of people to agree that it sounds like a Strat.

The only real test of this, as I stated before, is to do a blind test where the wood of the guitar is not known and get some well trained ears and well trained guitarists to listen and play to a variety of guitars from a variety of woods. Good sounding electrics (as stated before) don't even have to use wood.

The wood DOES make a difference to the sound of each individual guitar. No question. But the difference is not so significant that it makes the guitar not sound like all the rest of it's type. Tele's sound like Tele's. Strats sound like strats. LPs sound like LPs. Warlocks sound like Warlocks. All individual, distictive sounds. But two BC Rich Warlocks built with the same koa body and rosewood neck and all components the same will not sound SIGNIFICANTLY different.

Yngwie Malmstein owned several Strats, but the pink one was his favorite. Because it sounded best? No. It PLAYED best. Once you add the high gain pickups and the custom electronics and run it through $10k worth of effects and amplifiers, these axes sound significantly SIMILAR, not significantly different.

I used to think that the type of woods mattered, but have come to the conclusion that they really don't. I have heard and played some guitars at NAMM shows made of materials other than wood, and the tones they got were equal to the tones I got out of my Tele's, Strats, or LP's. Hate to say that, but that's truth as my ears and I find it to be.. However, I can't say the same about acoustics, but since this thread is about electrics, that's a discussion for another time.

Yes, the tonewoods only matter in acoustics.

And, a great guitar player.......can make any guitar, sound like any other guitar.

Notice, I said a "Great Player".

Back