Toneport users...a question

solaris1982

If I were to buy a toneport (probably UX1...I'm short on cash), and also a VST plug (amplitube or waves for example), can I use the VST with the UX1? Or do I have to use the line6 software that comes with the Toneport?

If I were to buy a toneport (probably UX1...I'm short on cash), and also a VST plug (amplitube or waves for example), can I use the VST with the UX1? Or do I have to use the line6 software that comes with the Toneport?

Yes, you can use the toneport with another vst plugin. But, the gearbox plugin that you can buy for $99 includes the ux1, and sounds pretty darned good. Here's mine.... all guits/bass were done with it.

I find I use the stand alone gear box instead of the plugin. I use Cubase SX3, and you can only use one recording interface at a time, and I prefer my other card. I can go into more detail if you need/want it.

Peace!

~Shawn

I find I use the stand alone gear box instead of the plugin. I use Cubase SX3, and you can only use one recording interface at a time, and I prefer my other card. I can go into more detail if you need/want it.

Peace!

~Shawn

I just bought a Yamaha N12 firewire mixer and cubase studio 4. I offloaded my V-Amp pro in the process and have just ordered a toneport UX1 with gearbox. Won't I be able to use this to record into cubase?

Please do go into more detail, thanks

Alex

I just bought a Yamaha N12 firewire mixer and cubase studio 4. I offloaded my V-Amp pro in the process and have just ordered a toneport UX1 with gearbox. Won't I be able to use this to record into cubase?

Please do go into more detail, thanks

Alex

Hello Alex,

The short answer is yes. But like most things in life, there are more ways than one to skin a cat. Keep in mind, I use SX3, not Cubase 4. In SX3, you go into a preference menu to select which audio interface you want to use for recording into Cubase. Unfortunately, only one audio interface can be chosen at any given time. If I choose the UX1, I can only record one track at a time. Granted, there are times when that's all I'm doing, but I prefer to not change core settings like that in my DAW... I want every track to have been recorded with the same timing source. So, the UX1 has analog output. I just take the analog output and plug that into my digital mixer, and then send it to my DAW via my 12 input audio interface. Does this make sense? You can do the same thing, just run the standalone version of gearbox...which may be the only version you have, if you didn't buy the plugin....and then take the analog output of the UX1 and run it into a line input of your N12. Does this make sense?

~Shawn

The gearbox comes with the UX1? I thought it came with the TonePort DI. Is there a difference in these 2 units (latency, etc.)?

thanks shawn, makes a lot of sense :)

Solaris, as far as I know from reading on t'internet the only difference from the UX1 to the toneport is an added XLR input for a mic which seems pretty useless as it doesn't have phantom power. It was jst the cheapest deal I could find at the time

Alex

The gearbox comes with the UX1? I thought it came with the TonePort DI. Is there a difference in these 2 units (latency, etc.)?

I mis-typed when I said the plugin includes the UX1, it does in fact include the Toneport DI.....BUT....
The gear box sofware works with any of Line 6 devices, from the toneport di right up to the x3 live. Gearbox stand alone is free. Now, if you order a product called the "Gear Box Plugin Silver" for $99 (or gold for $199, more models and effects) it comes with the Toneport DI. But, if you buy a UX1, the plugin will cost you $99 to add to it. So, you would probably be better off just getting the Plugin, which will come with the DI, unless you need a place to plug in a microphone which doesn't require phantom power, as Lemontree pointed out.

I hope I've cleared the confusion I started :o

Peace!

~Shawn

arrived today

You're right, the gearbox silver & gold are extras......but only if you want to use gearbox as a stand alone plug in in your DAW. A way around that is to reamp into the line inputs and back out the analog outs....would even work as an insert I'm guessing but haven't experimented with that as yet.

Presets straight out the box sound pretty good but I'm sure the best results will be yeilded from tweaking my own.

Overall I'm very impressed and with the price of the pound to the dollar right now I saved myself almost half the UK RRP

arrived today

You're right, the gearbox silver & gold are extras......but only if you want to use gearbox as a stand alone plug in in your DAW. A way around that is to reamp into the line inputs and back out the analog outs....would even work as an insert I'm guessing but haven't experimented with that as yet.

Presets straight out the box sound pretty good but I'm sure the best results will be yeilded from tweaking my own.

Overall I'm very impressed and with the price of the pound to the dollar right now I saved myself almost half the UK RRP

Good show. My favorite preset is the "American Punk" under the crunch preset menu. I use that, and use it as a starting point for my own. In my book, that preset alone was worth the price of admission.

Peace!

~Shawn

To be honest, I'm a ux1 user and abuser :)

The one downside I've seen with gearbox effects is the horrible heavy distortion settings. Everything in crunch and clean sounds amazing but it's just something with the massive distortion that just doesn't cut it. Even with tweaking alot of the settings it still doesn't put out enough for mmeee...

Back