Tom/snare mic / Overheads ...

xotsx

OK, I'm really just trying to plan out what kind of mic setup I want on a drum kit for a home studio. Here's basically what I'm planning:

Kick - AKG D112
Snare - SM57 (suggestions?)
Toms - ??
Overheads - Condenser mics, possibly AKG c2000 (suggestions?)

Basically, I already have the kick mic and I think it's pretty standard so it should be fine. I recorded with someone before that just used a shure drum mic kit and then threw up and overhead or two. Just wondering what you guys would suggest as far as tom mics/mounts, snare mic, and overheads.

Thanks for any input.

I'm using:
Yamaha MG16 mixer
Delta 1010 sound card
Sonar 3.0 PE

The standard is sm57 for toms...and they are cheap :)
On the floor I use a beta 56.Snare is sm57 also(cant have too many) :D
.O.H. I have Oktava 012's.Some suggest not using c1000's or likewise.
How many channels do you have to run direct in?
Maybe just go with the O.H.s in an xy pattern and just your D112.That will free up some channels...

I've got 8 channels to work with right now. I'm thinking about adding another soundcard to get up to 16 that way I can do more at the same time. I've thought about trying just overheads before w/ the kick. I think I'll try it too to see what I can get. We play really heavy metal/hardcore type stuff though so it's always nice to have the in-your-face sound of everything close mic'ed. Thanks for the input man... I'll look into those OH's. :)

xotsx said:
I've got 8 channels to work with right now. I'm thinking about adding another soundcard to get up to 16 that way I can do more at the same time. I've thought about trying just overheads before w/ the kick. I think I'll try it too to see what I can get. We play really heavy metal/hardcore type stuff though so it's always nice to have the in-your-face sound of everything close mic'ed. Thanks for the input man... I'll look into those OH's. :)

you should get another mic for the beater side of the bass drum to get that good clicky or slappy sound. it sounds great in metalcore

If you're looking to not break your wallet either you could check into some mxl 603's. I usually use two on overheads, and pan them out.....it really sounds good. Depending on the style of music you could go with a sm 57 on snare...it's pretty cheap but sounds a little dull in comparison to something like a audix mirco-d. But again that depends on the kinda music you play and the sound you want to achieve. Keep the d112 on kick it'll get the job done.

I've used a pair of Shure SM81s for overheads and was very satisfied. AKG C414's also sound pretty good for cymbals or even just an ambient mix. Also, you might consider using a mid-side stereo array over the drummer's head. You can get a great stereo image with that.

Back