To connect a tube preamp to my 44VSL interface,

does it want a guitar cable or speaker cable or does it matter? (I haven't used an external preamp before.)

Guitar>>preamp>>interface.

Thank you.

Not sure what preamp you have...but most are balanced Line out.
So you most likely need either a TRS or XLR cable, or some combination of those connectors, depending what type of connector is on the preamp output and interface input.

Also...to go Guitar---> preamp...the preamp would have to have an on-board DI.
Does the preamp (what is it) have an on-board DI connection?
If not, use an external DI box and from that to the preamp, and from that to the interface.

That's as simple as it gets...but I'm sure someone will come along and complicate it for you. :D

It's a ART Pro Audio

Maybe this will help:

Provides Superior Preamplification for: Microphones, Instruments and Line Level Sources
Analog VU Meter
OPL™ Output Protection Limiter
Hand-Selected 12AX7A Vacuum Tube
Variable Input and Output Gain Controls
Provides over 60 dB of Gain
+48 Phantom Power Switch
Phase Reversal Switch
XLR and 1/4" Inputs and Outputs
Portable, All-Steel Construction
Excellent as Tube DI

Looks like it's set up to take a variety of sources, and you just have to choose/adjust to match.
IOW...the DI appears to be built-in.

So just go out from that to the interface. Line out to Line in and set the appropriate source/level on the interface.

Hi to all.

I have a similar problem. PRESONUS 44vsl is my audio interface and I got an ART PRO CHANNEL.

I've tried every combination of hooking those two up. TRS, XLR, Combination of those two,...

It seems that there is no way of bypassing the preamps. After that I tried to find a unity gain on 44vsl preamp but that led me to completely another set of troubles.

So, Im wondering. If I connected the preamp and interface the right way(TRS in Line input) shouldn't the preamp be inactive?
Am I getting something wrong here, or I should get another interface?

Hi to all.

I have a similar problem. PRESONUS 44vsl is my audio interface and I got an ART PRO CHANNEL.

I've tried every combination of hooking those two up. TRS, XLR, Combination of those two,...

It seems that there is no way of bypassing the preamps. After that I tried to find a unity gain on 44vsl preamp but that led me to completely another set of troubles.

So, Im wondering. If I connected the preamp and interface the right way(TRS in Line input) shouldn't the preamp be inactive?
Am I getting something wrong here, or I should get another interface?

Some interfaces have dedicated straight-up line inputs, some have genuine line inputs sharing a combo jack with XLR to preamp input, and some just have padded down mic preamps with "line in" written on it.
If you plug in a TRS cable and set the input to line (if there's a choice) and the gain knob on the 44vsl still has effect, then you've got a padded down preamp which isn't quite the same as a straight line input.

Still though, if you find unity it should work just fine.
I don't know if the improvement will be worth it over the 44vsl preamps, or even if there'll be an improvement.
One way to find out. :)

run it into something like a Palmer PDI-09, or a Radial JDX,
and THEN into the preamp/interface.

add some IR to it......

voila.

Ok guys, thanks for the help, really. Since the input is clearly no "real"line in, guess my only choice is to buy a new interface or find the unity gain.

@arcaix-yeah, I have trouble with gain setting. Since my only source of sound is my laptop and 44vsl, Im forced to use it in a loop. For instance, I ran a test signal(-18dB, 1kHz) from my DAW to my preamp and thought that it will be around 0dB VU. It wasn't. It was on -9 dB VU. My main out was full throttle.

So if someone could tell me the proper way to adjust the gain settings between those two. I would be very grateful.

@gonzo-you really think that will work?

@Steenamaroo-you think that xmas preamps are as just as good as the one I have on my ART?

The thing is- they are not bypassed. Clearly from the fact that I can still attenuate or boost the signal from my ext. preamp. Now, If I set the levels on my ext preamp to be optimal for microphone and vocals, and then i send it to the integrated preamp, what do I get? I get either quiet but distorted signal or signal too loud for anything. Thats why I need to find the unity gain, and that what I have trouble with.

I used a test tone cause its a method of finding out where the unity gain is.

Im really not here to argue about whether the manual is wrong or not.
Maybe you can tell me if I'm getting something wrong here.

Line in= no possibility of pre amplification?

Bypass= avoiding something, no going through something.

Mic input= input with preamp due to the very quiet signal that comes out of microphone.

Last edited:
Preamp bypassed, Line in signal does not go through preamp

Correct.

Preamp gives the low mic signal a boost before it hits the next stage.

Remember for the mic pres to be bypassed and make use of the line input you need to use a 1/4" plug into the interface. The 1/4" part of the combo jack bypasses the mic preamp.

Ok, glad Im familiar with terminology. So, what would you say then. Why does my integrated preamp still works even though I plugged it in correctly? I tried several different cables. TRS-TRS, XLR-TRS and even a TS-TS, but still, the integrated preamps not bypassed.

Can you explain why he might need a DI between the Line out of a mic preamp into the Line in of an interface? You kinda lost me with this :)

He can do a balanced connection with the right cable > XLR to 1/4"TRS

Lol. He doesn't need that thing. Gonzo just likes posting about the Palmer in any guitar related thread like he works for them or something.

Which channel on the Presonus are you using?

3 or 4, right? Not 1 or 2?

I ask, because you haven't mentioned it, and according to what arcaxis posted above, it matters...

The gain for your mic will come from the ART Pro Channel rather than the interfaces internal preamp which is bypassed when using the line input. The line input on the interface does have a gain adjustment that is used to accommodate different levels of signal (-20dB to +20dB).

Quick question..... what are you attempting to achieve by using the ART Pro Channel that the preamp in your interface isn't giving you?

Your assignment is to read, starting at on or about page 9 in the ART Pro Channel Users Guide, the following paragraphs.....

Preamp Circuit
Gain Control
Gain Switch
Tube Drive/Gain Reduction Display
Preamp Output Control
How you set the Gain control on this stage will determine if your signal is clean (lower gain) or "warmed up" (higher gain).

Continue reading in the Users Manual at on or about page 16 the following paragraphs....

Master Controls

Master Output Control
VU Meter
VU Meter Switches
Where you set the Master Output depends some on how much gain you've set with the Gain and Preamp Output control in the preamp section on the ART. Try the Master Output at 0db to start and adjust the gain control on your interface for correct levels in the same manner you would for a mic when you're using the interface by itself without the ART preamp. Make sure the clip light on the interface does not illuminate frequently which would result in distortion. The Master Output on the ART and the Gain control on the interface sort of do the same thing and once you get in the ballpark with levels you may want to set the interface Gain at or around 0dB and adjust the ART Master Output to the levels you want.

Leave the EQ and Compression on the ART preamp "Bypassed" until you get the hang of setting the gain correctly.

I don't have a problem with settings on my ART. I know how to do it. I have a problem with setting the gain on my presonus line in 4.

I need it to be neutral, so it doesnt attenuate or boost the signal that comes out of my ART. Although it sounds rather simple, I don't know how to do it and I need help.

---------- Update ----------

Which channel on the Presonus are you using?

3 or 4, right? Not 1 or 2?

I ask, because you haven't mentioned it, and according to what arcaxis posted above, it matters...

I use 3 or 4.

it shows on the diagram the intent of how to use the palmer (or any other DI like this, it doesn't matter what brand, greg has a limp dick on about this...)

Back