time to share!

CMB Studios

Hey guys... excited about this mix so far (still work to be done) but just wanted to share with all you fine folks the progress so far :)

Generally sounded good.

Little noise at :50. Like a pop or something. I thought I heard a couple of other spots as well.

The bass sounds a little rumbly/boomy to me.

Guitars sounded pretty good. This might just be me, but I'd like a little more out of the higher end. More energy at like 4K and up. This is especially true with the power guitar that comes in at about 1:05. Just a bit dull sounding to me. might be a personal preference thing.

Maybe nudge the guitars down a db or two and nudge up the OH's up a db or two?

Little noise at :50. Like a pop or something. I thought I heard a couple of other spots as well.

I can hear little pops here and there as well.

Sounds really good but for the pops. Be interesting to hear some vocals. I bet they're nothing like what I expect them to be. :laughings:

I can hear little pops here and there as well.

Sounds really good but for the pops. Be interesting to hear some vocals. I bet they're nothing like what I expect them to be. :laughings:

thanks man! and i guess that depends on what you expect them to be haha

Generally sounded good.

The bass sounds a little rumbly/boomy to me.

Guitars sounded pretty good. This might just be me, but I'd like a little more out of the higher end. More energy at like 4K and up. This is especially true with the power guitar that comes in at about 1:05. Just a bit dull sounding to me. might be a personal preference thing.

Maybe nudge the guitars down a db or two and nudge up the OH's up a db or two?

good ear on the pops my friend! cant go unaddressed. i'll figure out whats making that happen

the guitars could deff liven up a bit, and i thought that going in but thought my ears were shot at the time (which apparently they were) .... aside from that a rather "ripping" guitar part has yet to be put into that part.

Yeah the mix sounds pretty great. I'd be happy with this and wouldn't change anything except maybe get some vocals in there. Do you have plans to add any? Otherwise why post an incomplete song? Either way, what you have so far sounds real good. Like how the cymbals sound, nice and punchy without taking over everything. I'd love to know how you mic'd the drums, assuming they are real. You never know these days.

Sounds clean and balanced to me! Good work!

cheers

Thank you!

Yeah the mix sounds pretty great. I'd be happy with this and wouldn't change anything except maybe get some vocals in there. Do you have plans to add any? Otherwise why post an incomplete song? Either way, what you have so far sounds real good. Like how the cymbals sound, nice and punchy without taking over everything. I'd love to know how you mic'd the drums, assuming they are real. You never know these days.

yea there are vocals and lead guitar to be added to this... I uploaded it because well... I tend to get excited haha.

as for the drums... standard close micing... yes they are real drums lol but I've had people TELL me they were fake before on this forum, which I find hilarious. I believe the comment was "you should get better at programming your drums because a real drummer wouldn't play like that" or something along those lines ....

but my mics are all shure... beta 52a on the kick... sm 57 on the snare and 4 more on the toms (1 each) ... and then 2 SM 94's for OH .... then just EQ and compression and panning.

do some fancy stuff with the kick drum too

you do your drums from the listener point of view, which oddly would be correct, but you hardly ever hear that...unless you have a left handed drum kit here.

Thick and beefy, but needs the "air" and sheen or my ears are really worn tonight... the stuff up above 10K. Sounds like early WHO meets Devo....

I likey. Can't wait to hear the vox on this.

Snare sounds good, but very organic. Not sure what it is about it that strikes me weird, but I'd like to hear something more with it. Maybe more pop, higher freqs, less mid on it. It's very prominent in the mix, so it gets a lot of attention from the listener.

I do like the cymbals. Very well done which is not easy to do. Especially like the hihat. Coool to that!!!

Also need to say I'm on headphones, so tonal balance is skewed, but it sounds really good on the cans, so it must be translating well.

Really nice! I will certainly be watching and waiting for the finished product. But you should do something about the drums, a computer would never play them like that :laughings:.

you do your drums from the listener point of view, which oddly would be correct, but you hardly ever hear that...unless you have a left handed drum kit here.

Thick and beefy, but needs the "air" and sheen or my ears are really worn tonight... the stuff up above 10K. Sounds like early WHO meets Devo....

right handed kit, audience view.

Thanks for listening!

I likey. Can't wait to hear the vox on this.

Snare sounds good, but very organic. Not sure what it is about it that strikes me weird, but I'd like to hear something more with it. Maybe more pop, higher freqs, less mid on it. It's very prominent in the mix, so it gets a lot of attention from the listener.

I do like the cymbals. Very well done which is not easy to do. Especially like the hihat. Coool to that!!!

Also need to say I'm on headphones, so tonal balance is skewed, but it sounds really good on the cans, so it must be translating well.

thank you very much! tonal balance is skewed? could you elaborate a bit? :D and yea.. .vocals for this will be fun... me and the other singer dual off a bit on this one.

Really nice! I will certainly be watching and waiting for the finished product. But you should do something about the drums, a computer would never play them like that :laughings:.

glad to hear it! and yea idk what we were thinking about going real kit.

Back