Three Four Time

Bristol Posse

Okey Dokey
It's been a while since I put up a song here. I rebuilt my studio and had to relearn everything on the new set up

Anyway, this is a song that was sort of inspired by a trip to Dublin where there was just tons of really good accoustic based live music going on

This is the first time I've written anything in three four time and so I used it as the title and to sort of be a theme for doing something different

Drums are surprisingly difficult in 3/4 versus straight 4/4 rock at least for me

Any way this is the first run through at a mix

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_8030257

I'd be interest to hear any comments or critiques

thanks

Last edited:
mm good britpop

man how do you make music like that in southern california?

my desire to hear this sung through a brighter mic is cuz you close-miked it?

Thanks for taking the time to listen I'm going to check out your new stuff when I get over the ear fatigue from today's mixing

mm good britpop
man how do you make music like that in southern california?

LOL
That's easy, I'm an expat Brit living in SoCal who grew up on a diet of pop music

my desire to hear this sung through a brighter mic is cuz you close-miked it?
Unfortunately that may just be my sh!tty voice. My current mic is actually much less dark on my particular wobbly voice than what I was working on previously, and now that I'm using a condenser I'm actually working from farther back than I used to. Maybe as I get more used to it I can step back a little further and see if it opens up a little

I hate 3/4 time to play... thank god I don't have to play this, just enjoy someone else doing it for me....wedding band blues.....
Yep the mic is a bit bassy - what kind is it? It sorta gets lost in the louder stuff. Maybe some high end would help it stay above the mix.
Love the whole thing - and I know evey hall partygoer here in Alberta would pack the floor and cheer for more when they hear this one!

Thanks for this listens and comments

After listening on a laptop it struck me there was too much top end in the acoustic guitar pick attacks and cymbals which was interfering with the vocal in that range.
When I backed off on this with a tiny touch of EQ it gives the vocal more room to breath so I think it opened up a bit without having to touch the vox at all

I can't remember the first listen well enough to compare, but the vocal's coming through just fine and the guitars aren't being lost. It always surprises me the way one tweaks one thing and then it has knock-on effects on other things. The thing that's helped me the most is learning how to turn things down or mute them to make a mix work. And EQ is just selective volume control, right?

After leaving this alone for several days and now listening back on various playback systems, I think I have a mix I am comfortable with

After leaving this alone for several days and now listening back on various playback systems, I think I have a mix I am comfortable with

ha..I earmarked this to listen to next time

I see you're happy with the mix so just wanted to say I like this odd song, a mix of psychedelia and pop...and very British. Best thing is you couldnt date it, which is the sign of a great tune imho..nice one Bristol

Nice overall sound to me, but I think the vocal could stand to come down just a bit. It was really loud IMO. Cool song! :)

Just posted up a new version of this cos I got the chance to run this through an Otari 1/4 inch 2 track tape machine that an aquaintance of mine had

definitely interesting to hear how the tape effects the transients and chunks up the bass a little bit.
very differnt than running through a software limiter
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_8187902

Last edited:
I agree with Famous Beagle. The vocals need to come down just a bit. Not too much - just a little.

Meaning mine isn't and example of drums done well? LOL

Sorry BP, not meant as a jab. The track reminded me of bowie - or maybe Ronson to be more accurate with the acoustic sound and the Ziggy electric coming in mid song. The drum sound is not doing you any fovours though. 3/4 time can have echoes of a guy at a wedding with a casio keyboard if you don't get the drums right!

Nice and clear - I also think the vocals could come down a little in the mix in the beginning -
once the electric guitar kicks in it sounds a little more even so I'm not really sure how to deal with that

nice recording and nice tune.

I have never tried 3/4 time, might be something to attempt one day

Back