Thoughts on this

Metalchild23

I have been doing some research into recording. I decided that I'm not looking for a top quality sound I just want to demo my music and get my ideas out until I go record in a studio with my band. I have been thinking of 2 ways I could go, they could both be wrong but I figured I would get some opinions before I go and buy.

1) someone gave me a Sound Blaster Aud. I know it has only 1 line in but I was told to run a small mixer through it. I know if i do that I cant mess with the volumes after I record but thats ok, its only a demo.

Also theres getting a delta1010 and just using that, but would I need preamps or anything else along with the comp and delta1010?

I know that I need mics and wires and all that I pretty much know what I need in that case. Please leave me some feed back with what you think if im even heading in the right direction. Thanks
-Neil

your nearly there. all you need is a pc and a cheap mixer and a couple of mics. eg..for mixer yamaha mg .
what type of pc do you have ? is it over 1ghz ? recent ?
512 ram ?

The computer is decent, its 2.6ghz and has 512 ram but I was told to get a gig. Im actually going to be getting it soon my cousin is going to help me build it. We dont know too much about what a good computer need but I was thinking a 200 hd and absolutly nothing on the computer aside from programs to record and the OS which was going to be 2000 or xp.

I also have an older gateway computer that was just recordmated and has windows 2000. I think I got the computer around 2000 so I dont remeber whats exactly on it, I just know that it takes SD ram.

So manning do you suggest I go with the Sound Blaster and the mixer instead of the Delta1010?

Also, on the new computer you are building .... get two 7200 RPM harddrives.
One (40 to 80 gig) for the OS and programs and the second (120 gigs would pry be plenty) for the audio data.

metalchild. my recommendation is always the same for a daw.
you need POWER. 2.6ghz is fine.(preferably 512ram to a gig amd athlon is my bias) with two drives as crankz said. and heres an important point ..DONT BE TEMPTED TO PUT IN MONSTER DRIVES .120 gb is fine. preferably 8 mb caches.
if you can afford it and PROVIDED you dont need a bazillion plug in effects an athlon is good for 60 tracks. otherwise consider an amd 64.
people are reporting superb performance with amd 64.
yes. consider the delta sound card or terratec . zzounds has a complete list of multi input cards. the ng mixer is good as well. STAY AWAY from cheap sb type cards. if you want further recommendations like mics, recording software, speakers etc. ask.
last TIP....dont put anything in the pci slots except for the sound card eg...delta. just search under my name/back posts - ive explained reasons many times.

Cool, I have heard good things about the delta1010, I was going for the rackmountable version is that really a diffrence, and also if I have the delta1010 do I still need a mixer seeing the delta has I think 8 ins and outs, either 6 or 8 I cant remember off the top of my head.

You can mix in the PC if you have the recording software...look into Cakewalk's HS2004 or SONAR. I've got to agree with the Delta1010LT suggestion...it's a big bang for the bucks. It's got two pretty good (not excellent) mic pres built in. If you need additional simultaneous mics you'll have to get additional mic pres or get a mixer with pre's built in. That combo will keep you busy for awhile. As for the rack mount, it looks cool but you're going to pay for it...either way you go, in the end you'll eventually get a patch panel...cable up the 1010LT to a patch panel and you're set.

Last edited:
Sorry but what is a patch panel? Also with either the 1010 or the 1010LT I should proubly still get a mixer, which will proubly be a Yamaha MG of some sort.

The 1010 (not the LT) uses slightly better converters that are contained in the rackmount box. Hence the additional cost.
And, yes you would still need a mixer or some other form of preamps.
A patch panel would be the same thing as a patchbay.

Back