This pedal sounds great!!!...

VESSEL2020

Somewhere in Space
So do you have one, or is the one on eBay the first one you've seen?

So do you have one, or is the one on eBay the first one you've seen?

No, I do not have one, although I wish I did.

This ebay listing is the first time I've seen one.

Did you check out the sound clips?

They sound amazingly close to my SRE-555's, 501's !!!

I own quite a few REAL tape echos,...and I gotta say...This is definitely
the best sounding emulation I've ever heard from a NON-REAL tape echo.

Yeah I did listen to it. It's a nice digital effect pedal. It seems well thought out, however as you know we don't really want the effect of crumpled tape, high wow & flutter and dirty tape heads. :) Well, it's a fun idea, but back when I was using tape echo we had one thing in mind... to keep the thing working without those problems. LOL

I don't mind using digital processors or digital echo, but my analog (non-tape) delays sound better IMO than my digital one's for certain things. But yeah the pedal looks really cool for sound shaping. I just think there should be a law against claiming something digital is equivalent to a tape echo. And using the term “digital-analog” in product literature should be a capital offence. ;)

What I like most about it is you can actually tweak knobs to get the desired sound. It is pretty cool for what it is.

geeluiweeeeeeeeee.....
I actually checked out the youtube promo clip there...made through about half of the first one, had to click STOP "button". Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh :spank:

OK, nop. It does NOT sound like a tape echo. It sounds like a digital delay with a twist.
Cool knobs though, I like that kind of knobs, I'll give El Capstano' that one ... :D

The whole "seller's package" and "functions naming" is pure bull$$$$$t , of course, but well, there's nothing new there.
I am sure someone would really enjoy especially The "TAPE AGE" adjustment knob. LOL, ROFL and beyond ..... :drunk:

Speaking of "naming" functions.... I am working on FISHER K-10 spring reverb unit now, still on the "lab table". Have done some mods to it to adapt it more for guitar and studio recording applications, so implemented some tone controls, so was thinking about how to NAME them, and so now I have "Reverb Color Selector" (selects one out of 5 capacitors (values) in the HP filter) and "Reverb Brightness Adjustemnt" (adjusts potentiometer value in the LP filter) :D >>>> it's a primitive RC circuit, yet provides those wonderful RALLY nice features ... :rolleyes:

Dr

Nothing brings Dr Zee out from the shadows like digital products that claim to imitate the "magic" of analog. :)

Ive owned real and fake tape echos. There are only three differences worth noting:

1. Fake tape echos are 99.9 percent good enough and will, not might, WILL fool every single listener if you use them wisely.

2. 1s and 0s are not a tape.

3. Fake tape echos can sound like many different machines. A real tape echo only can sound like the one it is. That may or may not be desirable to some.

OUCH!!! :eek: You guys are "HARDCORE to the BONE" analog!!!:eek:

I'm very much an analog guy myself,.. as I HATE computer recording with
a passion! But,..I am guilty of owning quite a few "digital enhancements".

I am not defending myself here,...:rolleyes:

I was just quite amazed at how this pedal sounds, because I've heard a bunch of other tape echo emulations before,...but I think this one does do a good job at replicating what a REAL tape echo sounds like when the tape starts to get old.
and as The Great Cobb says:
"A real tape echo only can sound like the one it is."
That is very much true,..because I own 17 real tape echos, and some are duplicates,...but every last one of 'em, has their own sound.:D

Though you guys seem pretty harsh,...
I plan to stick around and learn a thing or two.
I don't scare that easy!:eek:

Guys, the problem for me is that I've wasted all the oil in the tank to be serious about it. Spent too much time and energy analyzing and thinking seriously about "the subject"... so I'm out of fuel. :drunk:
Some Satire is all I still have.

...Fake .... WILL fool every single listener

Fooling is not a hell of a job, except when it comes to fooling yourself , ( unless it's done without awareness.)
;)

Speaking of the last one: awareness makes life more complicated and difficult.

:drunk:

I'm very much an analog guy myself,.. as I HATE computer recording with
a passion! But,..I am guilty of owning quite a few "digital enhancements".

I am not an "analog guy" and I don't hate computer recording at all.
I also have bunch of digital "gear" without any guilt attached :D

By the way, the pedal "sounds" pretty cool. It is what it is, though. If it was a picture on the wall, I would say about it: "The painting is fine. The Title, The Frame and the Price are full of it. " :)

Dr Zee

Hopefully i didnt seem like i was being a jerk about you Zee, i like you. So much so that i was forced to use my first emoticon in that post (the smiley), so that it seemed less serious tone.

Hey man, im all for analog over digital. But decent analog equipment thats been hyped can get a little ridiculous price wise. Roland space echos used to be like 300 bucks tops. 500 for the later models. We are like 2 years away from seeing them all be 800 for the cheapest one on ebay. I know because i watch certain items even when im not planning on buying them. And i have watched them for years.

Roland Space Echos have replaced lava lamps in terms of every studio having to have one. And the prices go up and up with every mention of a famous person using them. I have an old beater but i have owned like 3 or 4 over the course of my musical life. I like them alot, but id trade it for a solid Watkins in a second. Watkins got that high end sizzle as it trails, where as the Roland gets darker and smudgier. My favorite sounding echo is the Binson Echorec, but they cost as much as a car.

Well, the Roland RE-20 is a complete and total POS.
I have one that I got to replace my aging Akai Headrush.
I wish I'd just simply gotten another Headrush as it's the closest to a tape sound I've heard.

The RE-20 is noisy as hell and just doesn't sound that good.
As for the Strymon ....... I'm a big fan of Damage Control products which is now Strymon so I bet it's really good.

I am, however, VERY skeptical of soundclips.
They can make them sound however they want ..... it's rarely a great representation of the product when it's the manufacturer that provides them.

Guys, the problem for me is that I've wasted all the oil in the tank to be serious about it. Spent too much time and energy analyzing and thinking seriously about "the subject"... so I'm out of fuel. :drunk:
Some Satire is all I still have.

Have you considered going green? :D

Speaking of the last one: awareness makes life more complicated and difficult.

:drunk:

Just ask Adam and Eve. :D

Well, the Roland RE-20 is a complete and total POS.

The RE-20 is noisy as hell and just doesn't sound that good.

You ain't kiddin' Lt. Bob! I agree with ya there! That was the worst $250.00 I've ever spent!
I do hafta say ,..it does get along with a couple of my synths though.

You would think someone from Roland would see how much the prices went up on their old space echos,...and build a new "REAL" tape echo for 2010.

Fortunately for me,...I've purchased my tape echos quite some time ago, so..I haven't had to pay a ridiculous price for 'em. Also, They are as close to mint as possible for an over 20-30 year old piece of gear. (most of 'em, anyway)...The ones that have a slight scratch or two, are the ones in use...while I have the others in fort knox.

I would really like to get my hands on one of these....

Attachments

• Electra-EP350.jpg
    Electra-EP350.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Voorzijde-met-Stofkap-kl.jpg
    Voorzijde-met-Stofkap-kl.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 23
It's not bad, and I can see it making a good enough replacement in certain situations. But it sounds rather too clean to my ears, and unless I've missed it, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the motor while it's running.

Roland Space Echos have replaced lava lamps in terms of every studio having to have one. ....
a-huh-huh! That's a good one!!!!! :drunk:

But that's the whole "point", man. It goes like this:
-"Hey, Beavis, check this out, bunch of dudes are willing to spend like 600 bucks or more for an old tape ...." ...hah hah hah hah....
- "Yeah, yeah. Heh heh heh. What a bunch of bun-holes... heh heh heh.
- "Hey, let's give them the "Tape Age" knob. uh ...hmmmm, like ...hmmm, like ...Just for 300 bucks."
- "Yeah, yeah. That would be cool. Heh heh heh..."
- "Huh Huh Huh."

:p :p :p :p

Hey man, im all for analog over digital.
To me this isn't really an "issue" of analog vs digital.
To me It's an issue of thriving bul*$h*t in the age of darkness, when fooling isn't a trick at all. ;)

Hopefully i didnt seem like i was being a jerk ...
No problem. I don't mind if you did.

Now, I really need to insert a bunch of these: :D:D:D:D:D:drunk::drunk::D:D

heh heh heh....
words bite ;)

now watch this for real good laugh:

...Zee, i like you.
- I Love You Too.

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

Back