This is my recording space - thoughts and opinions?

Okay I remeasured everything so it's slightly more accurate:

Length: 8.5 feet
Width: 6 feet
Height: 7.5 feet
Mix position from back wall: 5 feet

I can't use any of that stuff because it's not mine. That's my Dad's music gear - his pride and joy. This area is pretty much the only place I can mix in so I have to work with what I got.

That's the front wall, I think you are referencing - the 'back wall' is the far one in the room with the tv. Your bedroom might be a better choice to use than this small alcove.

Should have bought more rockwool! Yeah, the shipping was expensive for me, too, but I got enough to do my first 6 traps in one shipment, then made the frames myself (1x4 from Home Depot) and got burlap cheaply from Walmart, so the overall expense for 6 traps was anbout $260 - and well worth it!

I have 4 panels of rockwool left over, I made 30 panels for about 30 bucks per panel, best investment I have made to date, I found a roll of burlap on Ebay, 42 inches wide 100 yards long for 100 bucks and free shipping:spank:

Should have bought more rockwool! Yeah, the shipping was expensive for me, too, but I got enough to do my first 6 traps in one shipment, then made the frames myself (1x4 from Home Depot) and got burlap cheaply from Walmart, so the overall expense for 6 traps was anbout $260 - and well worth it!

That really sucks that there are not distributors closer to you guys. I suppose the cost one pays for 'non-convenience'?. lol! Sorry, it just came out.

SPI in Denver charges $1.03 per square foot of 2" Roxul 80. In stock. 4" thick you would need to order now but the cost per s.f. is exactly the same only twice. But, you need to be near one of their distributors to avoid the shitty shipping costs.

Might be better to drive yourself if there is any distributor near you? Just a thought. Shipping can kill a deal...

I had to do the poor boy method. I had some free acoustic ceiling tiles and left over fiberglass sheets used to make duct for air conditioning. Glued them together and wrapped them gently in quilting batting. Wrapped the whole thing in burlap and hung from the walls, corners and ceiling with either picture hanging wire and hooks or short hangers made from 2x4 scraps. My room is approx. 12'x15' with 9' ceiling attached to a 24'x24' garage (for more recording space). Might not be by the book but it made a big difference from an untreated room. It has a 5'x8' closet that when opened really sucks the bass and reflections. Experimenting with mic placement is an interesting adventure.
Hope this encourages you to experiment and remember, if it works the rules don't matter.

Back