This Forum Rocks

baba

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and joined because of the quality of information here. Many have had years of recording with various digital and analog equipment, they know their business and post reliable advice!

I am a computer programmer/musician with many years of road giging as warm up act for some of the biggest national artists. Played in clubs around Buffalo, NY in the days when the band "Rush" was considered a "B" choice for the weekend entertainment in the area! I worked with Billy Sheehan in those days in the band called "Talas".

I now am caught up in the world of digital recording and am here to offer advice and to receive it. My studio is made up of many fine instruments, vintage fender amps, behringer and mackie mixers, jbl sound equipment, shure and sennheiser mics, ludwig drum kit along with congas and bongo and many other noise makers.

DAW = P4 1.5 GHz
256 rambus memory ( just enough to get by, need to double )
2 - fast ide harddrives
fostex near field powered monitors
creative audigy 2 zs soundcard ( please don't laugh )
hp cd burner ( internal )
backpack cd burner ( external )
6 channel behringer mixer as break-out box ( nice pre amps )
every major and minor mutitracking and sequencing app, with few
exceptions, that you could possibly think of ( part of my programming
job, is it not wonderful? )

You can listen to some of my recording work at http://erthma420.wirefire.com

Hope I can be of some help and learn in the process!

baba

thanks for the welcome!

My DAW has a major weak link in the soundcard but I have managed to get very good results from it. I think it is due to nearly perfect windows xp setup with all the devices. I have been a programmer on mac and pc platforms for almost 20 years and this lends very well to trouble shooting it all. behringer is cheap and clean, thats about all iI have to say about the company.

I need to upgrade the soundcard or add a dedecated card to give the DAW the ability to record more than analog left and right at the same time.

cheers,
baba

have you thought about which soundcard you want/need to reach your goals?

There are a great many options out there with varying degrees of quality and price performance.

If you'd like to discuss your needs, I'd be happy to suggest one.

thanks,

I'm not sure yet about the soundcard addition or if I really need multiple imputs at this time. Have been doing most work with multitracking anyway and when I do need a live complete band take, painstakingly adjust all the analog mixers and eq's to get a good overal sound on the one recorded track.

As far as brands, I like the specs and sound of the hoontech ( think that is the company ) cards quite well. Any thoughts on this?

baba

Back