Thinking of upgrading to Tascam 2488 neo - but I have specific questions. Please help

GJP1979

For starters, I hope I'm posting this in the correct location.

Second, let me say thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience as I consider purchasing a Tascam 2488 Neo. I'm hoping some of the users here who own and use the unit can answer some specific questions for me.

My current recording setup typically involves recording "basic tracks" on a Tascam 4-track cassette, mixing those down to Cool Edit Pro, and then doing additional overdubs, effects, and mixing in Cool Edit.

Additionally, my bandmate often records vocals at his place using a totally different setup. Then he sends me a wav file, and I can currently seamlessly drop it into the Cool Edit mix (since he has sung along to a backing track derived from that same Cool Edit session).

I'm trying to get away from relying on computer-based recording and mixing and I really like the idea of an all in one unit. But before I plunk down the cash on the NEO, I need to make sure I can do certain things that are integral to my current recording workflow...here goes:

--after a track has been recorded on the NEO, can that individual track be edited and "sculpted" with effects within the NEO interface? For example, can I heavily EQ it, mute parts of it, etc, and then save as a copy or alternate take which will fit in seamlessly with the existing mix? OR, can a single track recorded on the NEO be exported to a PC, edited, and dropped back into the mix on the NEO (as long as the starting point of the track has not been changed)?

--I have read a few things here about only being able to use one effect during mixdown. What I want to be able to do is run at least one, preferably two, external effects units during mixdown on multiple tracks within the mix (for example reverb and delay in different amounts on different instruments). If I can also incorporate the NEOs internal effects at mixdown, that's even better (perhaps to add compression.) What exactly are the NEOs limitations on effects? Can external processors and internal effects be used on the same track during a mixdown?

--Can I mixdown a backing track from the NEO, send that mixdown to my bandmate for him to record vocals over, then import the wav file of his vocal back into the NEO and have it match up with the session I derived the backing track from initially? (this currently works seamlessly in Cool Edit).

--It is fairly easy to pan and change eq and effects "on the fly" or in "real time" during a mixdown? If not, is it relatively easy to hookup a midi controller for controlling these functions? (I'm all about knobs! Wish the NEO had more of 'em).

--About how many 24-track songs can you record before the hard drive gets full? Is backup relatively easy? Can you backup to an external hard drive (like a Seagate USB)?

Boy, this is a monster post. I hope I'm not asking too much, but if you can help out with any of these questions, I would GREATLY appreciate it!! And hopefully the info will be helpful to other members as well.

Thanks again.

-after a track has been recorded on the NEO, can that individual track be edited and "sculpted" with effects within the NEO interface? For example, can I heavily EQ it, mute parts of it, etc, and then save as a copy or alternate take which will fit in seamlessly with the existing mix? OR, can a single track recorded on the NEO be exported to a PC, edited, and dropped back into the mix on the NEO (as long as the starting point of the track has not been changed)?
Yes and yes.

I have read a few things here about only being able to use one effect during mixdown. What I want to be able to do is run at least one, preferably two, external effects units during mixdown on multiple tracks within the mix (for example reverb and delay in different amounts on different instruments). If I can also incorporate the NEOs internal effects at mixdown, that's even better (perhaps to add compression.) What exactly are the NEOs limitations on effects? Can external processors and internal effects be used on the same track during a mixdown?
You can have 2 send effects assigned to as many channels as you want. I used to have 2 external reverbs going on mine.

Can I mixdown a backing track from the NEO, send that mixdown to my bandmate for him to record vocals over, then import the wav file of his vocal back into the NEO and have it match up with the session I derived the backing track from initially? (this currently works seamlessly in Cool Edit).
Yes you can.

It is fairly easy to pan and change eq and effects "on the fly" or in "real time" during a mixdown?
Yes and no. It is easy to do on the fly, but you can only have one channel's EQ or effects window open at one time.
About how many 24-track songs can you record before the hard drive gets full? Is backup relatively easy? Can you backup to an external hard drive (like a Seagate USB)?
I think I have about 20 songs sitting in my original 2488 (not NEO) right now.Back-up is easy with step by step instructions. I'm pretty sure many people use an external hard drive, but I think the back-up has to be done on the 2488's own FAT partition, but don't quote me on that.

Hope this helps. :cool:

Thank you, Rami!
As I was reading archived threads about the 2488 prior to posting this, I had a feeling you might be the first to reply here. I appreciate the help!

No problem. :)

I don't own stocks in TASCAM or anything, so I'm only saying this from my experience. I absolutely love this machine. Once you learn it, it really does everything with many little short-cuts and tricks that you figure out along the way.
The only problem is that the buttons are starting to go on mine. Some don't work at all, some work intermittently, and the Jog wheel is completely screwed up. But that's after about 6 years of extremely HEAVY use. I actually only use it to track with and then I bring the tracks into my computer to mix, so all the buttons not working isn't a huge hassle for me. I'm going to get a new one once this one is un-usable for me.

When did the buttons start to go? Hopefully you got a few good years out of it first!

One thing I still had a question on from above, regarding effects...I didn't quite follow your reply.
Let's say during mixdown I want reverb, and delay, and compression all on one track. And then I want a different set of effects parameters on another track. Is this remotely possible using external effect units in tandem with the onboard effects?

Thanks again.

(It's been a while since I used a lot of the internal functions on it, so I'm just doing this by memory. If I give you some in-accurate information, hopefully another 2488 user will come in and correct me)

From what I remember, insert effects like compression, you can assign to up to 4 channels at a time. All 24 channels have their own EQ. Send effects like reverb and delay, you can have 3 at a time assigned to as many channels as you want in varying amounts to each one. I think of the 3 send effects, you can have 2 external and the third one has to be internal.

I'm pretty sure I got most of that right....I hope. :eek:

Oh, to answer your other question, I got about 4 good years of heavy use out of the buttons. It had a drink thrown at it once, and that's when I started having trouble with the buttons, so that hopefully won't happen to you. :D

It had a drink thrown at it once, and that's when I started having trouble with the buttons, so that hopefully won't happen to you. :D

:eek:

Thanks again for the help here. I think I'm pretty sold on this machine, now it's just a matter of getting the funds together.

What would you say is the main limitation of this machine is? Anyone else have any opinions on what they like least about the NEO?

I'm not crazy about the reverbs, they're all very "dark" sounding. Also, the screen is small and not easy to see unless you have a very good desk lamp or a miner's hat. :eek:

I'm not a huge fan of the onboard effects myself, but they work in a pinch. The guitar multieffects have come in very useful when doing late night recording and I don't want to wake the neighbors!

I would also have like to have manual knobs for panning and EQ, but that would probably have made the unit a difficult size.

A few effects parameters (e.g. compression threshold) are set with numeric ranges like 1-100; if you want to know exactly what that number means, you have to look it up in the tables in the back of the manual.

These are, however, EXTREMELY minor nits. I love my Neo a ton-and-a-half.

Also, the screen is small and not easy to see unless you have a very good desk lamp or a miner's hat. :eek:

There is a mod that allows one to connect a monitor for better viewing. It's a DIY mod some guys in the UK developed. You do have to open the machine to hook it all up, which it's safe to assume would very likely void the warranty. Almost seems worth it, especially once the warranty has expired anyway.

The cost is only about $125 bucks, and appears to be fairly easy to perform the necessary mod...only one jumper if memory serves.

I pm'd you once to ask if you knew anything about it, but you must have missed the pm, or something. I think I included a link in the pm I sent you. If not, I think the website is fairly easy to locate on the net.

Thought of another question: can stereo effects be applied to mono tracks?
For example, with my current 4 track, using the effect send and applying reverb to a single mono track, the sound of the reverb bleeds across Left and Right channels, which I kind of like. Would I have to use a stereo pair for a single instrument to achieve this effect on the NEO?

And another question about the stereo faders (13-24): Could I do something along the lines of bouncing, say, tracks 1 and 2 (along with EQ, effects, etc intact) over to tracks 13 and 14, and then be able to control the volume and pan of tracks 13 and 14 separately during mixdown?

I spent a lot of time looking at the online PDF manual today, trying to get as many questions answered as I could.
If it's better to start separate threads for some of these queries, please let me know...

Thought of another question: can stereo effects be applied to mono tracks?
For example, with my current 4 track, using the effect send and applying reverb to a single mono track, the sound of the reverb bleeds across Left and Right channels, which I kind of like. Would I have to use a stereo pair for a single instrument to achieve this effect on the NEO?
Yes, a stereo effect will be in stereo even on a mono track.

And another question about the stereo faders (13-24): Could I do something along the lines of bouncing, say, tracks 1 and 2 (along with EQ, effects, etc intact) over to tracks 13 and 14, and then be able to control the volume and pan of tracks 13 and 14 separately during mixdown?
You can do everything you mentioned above except for controlling the volume for each channel separately on the stereo channels. You can pan 13 and 14 independently of each other, but the EQ and volume will apply to both channels.
If it's better to start separate threads for some of these queries, please let me know...
Personally, I prefer it all in one thread. :cool:

There is a mod that allows one to connect a monitor for better viewing. It's a DIY mod some guys in the UK developed. You do have to open the machine to hook it all up, which it's safe to assume would very likely void the warranty. Almost seems worth it, especially once the warranty has expired anyway.

The cost is only about $125 bucks, and appears to be fairly easy to perform the necessary mod...only one jumper if memory serves.

I pm'd you once to ask if you knew anything about it, but you must have missed the pm, or something. I think I included a link in the pm I sent you. If not, I think the website is fairly easy to locate on the net.
Yeah, that sounds vaguely familiar. :D I do this a lot, I probably read the message quickly while I was at work, and then totally forgot about it when I got home, and since I opened it at work, the "new message" notification went away when I got on the site at home.

Sorry Mich. I'd never deliberately ignore someone trying to help me like that. Thanx man.

Not a problem dude.

Here's the link(and a fairly useless/uninformative youtube). Price is down to about $85, including shipping. I should seriously consider it, my eyesight definitely isn't what it used to be.

Home

Neat, that's a heckuva mod!

How easy is "comping" on the NEO? As much as I hate recording into a computer, I have to say that the big visual interface of stacked tracks in Cool Edit makes comping a dozen takes into one track very easy. Hard to imagine what this workflow will look like on the NEO. How do you guys do it?

Neat, that's a heckuva mod!

How easy is "comping" on the NEO? As much as I hate recording into a computer, I have to say that the big visual interface of stacked tracks in Cool Edit makes comping a dozen takes into one track very easy. Hard to imagine what this workflow will look like on the NEO. How do you guys do it?

Comping is a bit more tedious than using a computer. You have to set IN and OUT points, then use the track editing functions to copy and paste. It's not really all that difficult, just involves a bit more clicking/button pressing. I comp vox all the time; it gets easier the more you do it, but it's still not as immediate as when using, say, Cakewalk or PT to do the same thing.

To offer a reply to this...
I went through the same upgrades as the OP... using a cassette four track for 'basics' (normally drums, miced up Glyn Johns) then bounced mono to cool edit for overdubs.

I jumped to the Neo about 4 months ago... I really enjoy getting away from the nitpicky-ness of a pc.
I think you'll find that any track limitations etc. can be managed by creatively bouncing things (something you should be used to after the four-track)...

Back