Thinking About an AT-4040 for my First Microphone

hawg427

Hi guys, Merry Christ. My First post here so let me introduce myself. Name is Lou, I play guitar. I have 3 Electrics & One Martin HD-28 acoustic. I have my eye on a AT-4040 Condenser Mic for my very First Mic. I've never recorded before but the sound Engineer at church talks about the AT-4040 as a very nice Mic. I will be mainly recording my Martin Acoustic with it but I'll also Mic up one of my amp cabs too.
I ordered a M-Audio Fast Track 400 with the Pro Tools MP software bundle. Am I making a good choice with the AT-4040? Feel free to lend me your Two-Cents :-)

Have a Blessed Day,
Lou

I have an AT-4040 as well. It's a great mic. Coupled with a good preamp, you should be able to get a great recording.

We have two AT-40 series mics. Good condensers, workhorses. Should work well for your acoustic. I'd use a SM-57 to mic the amp cab, tho- but that's just me, YMMV.

stevieb, I will probably get an SM-57 later on. Use the 57 for close cab and see how the AT-4040 does as an ambient mic in conjunction with the 57. There is another SM57 I think it is an SM57A or B that supposed has a little bit more than the ol' SM57. Thank's for the input.
We have two AT-40 series mics. Good condensers, workhorses. Should work well for your acoustic. I'd use a SM-57 to mic the amp cab, tho- but that's just me, YMMV.

stevieb, I will probably get an SM-57 later on. Use the 57 for close cab and see how the AT-4040 does as an ambient mic in conjunction with the 57. There is another SM57 I think it is an SM57A or B that supposed has a little bit more than the ol' SM57. Thank's for the input.

ehhh I'd stick with the Sm57. Really haven't heard great things about the betas other than the 58 and 52. But hey, try both out for yourself if you can and get what you like.

I have an AT-4040 as well. It's a great mic. Coupled with a good preamp, you should be able to get a great recording.

I hope the M-Audio Fast Track 400 USB Interface with MP Pro Tools I ordered the other day is a good entry level interface??? I have to save up to get the Mic in a Month or so, LOL
Probably going to go with the 4040. I appreciate the info.

I'm new to all this recording stuff so don't laugh. When you say Pre-Amp do you mean the M-Audio Fast Track C400 that came with my Pro-Tools MP?
I have been looking at the AT-2035 also, half the price and "The Specs" look close. :-)

ehhh I'd stick with the Sm57. Really haven't heard great things about the betas other than the 58 and 52. But hey, try both out for yourself if you can and get what you like.

Shure markets the Betas as road-worthy versions of their mics- better able to withstand the rigors of touring and live work. Some may be better-sounding mics than their 'classic' brothers, some may be worse.

That is all.

Shure markets the Betas as road-worthy versions of their mics- better able to withstand the rigors of touring and live work. Some may be better-sounding mics than their 'classic' brothers, some may be worse.

That is all.

That and the Beta series are SUPER CARDIOID.

I'm new to all this recording stuff so don't laugh. When you say Pre-Amp do you mean the M-Audio Fast Track C400 that came with my Pro-Tools MP?
I have been looking at the AT-2035 also, half the price and "The Specs" look close. :-)

Yes, the Fast track c400 has two microphone preamps built into it.

Half the price usually means half of something else. Whether it's build quality, component quality, whatever.
Trust your ears first, someone elses ears second, and the specs last.
(Not to say that specs don't mean anything; You just really have to know what they mean :p)

Yehp. That fast track has two preamps built in to it.

Half the price usually means half of something else. Whether it's build quality, component quality, whatever.

Trust your ears first, someone else's ears second, and the specs last.
(Not to say that specs don't mean anything. :p)

I got the AT-4040 and had to make a home made POP filter. Got a pair of the Wife's old nursing pantyhose and wrapped them around a wire metal clothes hanger. Somebody else told me to use the PAD to cut down the Mics sensitivity because I was picking up my dang breathing, the AT-4040 is that sensitive. LOL I ended up buying an Audix i5 Dynamic Mic instead of a SM-57.

Back