The ULTIMATE Entry-Level Mic Pre Poll... :op

What is the BEST Entry-Level Mic Pre????

• Art Tube MP

Votes: 82 15.3%
  • Art Tube PAC

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Presonus Blue Tube

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Bellari MP105

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Bellari MP110

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Bellari RP503

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • dbx Mini-Pre Tube

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • M-Audio AudioBuddy

Votes: 56 10.4%
  • M-Audio DMP3

Votes: 187 34.9%
  • Behringer VX2000

Votes: 27 5.0%
  • Rolls CL151 Mic Pre/Comp.

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Joe Meek MQ3

Votes: 92 17.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me for being annoying, but I'm going to have to be annoying.

The only reason you need more than say 2 inputs, would be for drums, right?

I mean why do you need more than 2 (if you aren't a stupid twat like me?). Anyway I guess you would need probably 4ish for drums, correct?

*Noob mode off*
*Switching of modes failed*

well...

since you asked...

when this poll started the behringer ultragain was like 189.00 and now it is 99.00! 2 channels.

since it has variable lo-cut and fully parametric EQ *and* it sounds good well...

easy isnt it?

i now have 6 channels hooked up 5 of which have mics and the other is my keyboard.

i do everything myself so i dont NEED more than one channel but i keep them hooked up for CONVENIENCE. i dont need to switch wires around and i waste little time setting up for each track.

for drums you can use as many channels as you want. at one extreme you mic everything on the drum set along with overheads and room mics to seperate channels and seperate recording tracks and at the other extreme you use just one mic and one channel. you can use a submixer and mix 4 or 6 or 12 (whatever) mics to one or 2 channels of your main mixer.

i use 1 mic and channel for the whole drumset and another mic and channel for the bass drum. why? i dont know.

:)

What is the price range, and average price, of this original list of mics which began the thread?

Thanks

Michael Jones said:
OK, I've been following this thread for a while now and decided to keep out of it - until now.
WATYF, you're looking for a mic pre, and have $200 to spend.
You've listed a dozen or so that are in your price range, and you want to know which one is the "best".
I'll tell you what: IT DOESN"T MATTER!
$200 dollars is gonna buy you a $200 dollar mic pre. At that price range, the sonic characteristics, and audio quality of most mic pres are going to be very similar.
It's like saying: "I need some butter for my toast. I can choose between parkay, blue bonnet or country crock. One of those has to be the best, which one is it!?"
I vote for saving more money until you can afford something that will be a significant upgrade from what you have now. (Buy cheap, buy twice) If that simply is not an option, and that $200 dollars is just burning a hole in your pocket, I find it difficult to recommend any of these, as I don't own and have never used any of the models you have listed.
But If I HAD to choose one, I'd agree with Blue Bear, and say look into the Grace 101.
Disclaimer: I make this recommendation soley on the basis of what I have heard others say of it, and have absolutely no first hand experience with it what-so-ever. Must be 18 to play. Void where prohibited.

that having been said perfectly by mr. jones i will say that you just saved $200 and now you are only $800 away from a great river mp1nv.

Reilley said:
What is the price range, and average price, of this original list of mics which began the thread?

Thanks

I think when this thread was started mics hadn't been invented yet. People were using megaphones.

I bought both the BlueTube and the VX2000 from Guitar Center, brought them home and compared them and the VX2000 sounded way better to my ears. I brought the BlueTube back. This was very surprising to me since I was expecting the Presonus to be better.

You should first put your money into your mike. I tested a bunch of different mikes before selecting the Rode NT1000, and it's made a huge difference in my recordings. I also bought the ART Tube MP along with the mike. I bought it because it was the cheapest pre with a tube. The tube in the pre adds a lot of warmth, which I felt the solid-state Rode needed. Have you ever heard any Dean Martin recordings? It sounds just like that. I can tell you that the ART Tube MP definitely does not do the same thing for my Shure SM-57. In my opinion, you should try out both the mike and pre before you buy. Which one is best? Believe me, you have to let your own ears decide. To my ears, the Rode NT1000 through the Art Tube MP sounds as good as a Neumann u87.

I'm beginning to learn about compressors. I started feeding the mike signal from the pre through the compressor in my Behringer mixer. It really makes the vocals stand out. As soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a decent compressor like the RNC.

It might be partly my fault... because I dug this old thread up (when looking/searching for something else) about the day or so before this thread reappeared here... only I reposted the link on the "Rack" forum where IMO it belongs... good thread tho.

thisthread0ez.jpg

so the clear winner is the dmp3?

but watyf bought one and didnt like it?

i heard that it has the burr-brown chips.

oh well im still happy with my secret weapon.

This thread....Its an oldie but a goodie. :D

FYI, I just picked up an AudioBuddy at Guitar center for $50! For that price its better then the Radio shack line transformers my kids were using for the practice PA. :)

I think the person who started this thread left the recording industry, started a successful fast food chain and retired to the Bahamas. Shall we erm...move on??

we had some fun with this thread

i dont think watyf ever forgave me even though he is a bible thumper

he is a moderator at this similar board:

http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs/

and it seems that he has his own board too but i dont think anybody goes there

oh yeah and by the way the secret weapon was the rane ms 1b mic stage and its the only preamp i have left besides my mixer and interface and i do believe its the only one i will need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back