The Sand Man

Bass Freak

i like the feel of an unfinished neck

so can i get that by sanding the finish off of my p-bass neck? or will that just jack it up?

i like the thickness of my p-bass neck. if i sand it will it be thinner? or if i sand it wrong will it be wavey?

anyone ever do this?

freak

Maple necks should NEVER be left unfinished. You will ruin the neck. The finish is essential for sealing the neck from environmental factors, and without the finish it will move, a lot, every time you get even a small change in the temperature and humidity. Additionally, within a few years, the oils from your hands will soak into the neck, and it WILL warp. Now, a P-bass (as you no doubt know) is already a fairly unstable neck. Removing the finish will make it worse.

Now, you can get the feel you are after without removing the finish. Just wet sand it with 320 grit silicon carbide wet or dry sandpapers. You have to be VERY careful not to sand through the finish though, so I would suggest you have this done by a professional.

There will, I am sure, be others who will post about how they have unfinished maple necks and they love them. All I can say is that my shop has 33 years of experience seeing all of the things which go wrong with guitars. Unfinished maple necks are a really bad idea. There is a reason Warmoth voids their warranty for any maple neck which is not finished with a hard finish, such as a nitrocellulose lacquer.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

hmm......so i dont think im gonna do that.

but if its so unstable...then is the bass i like to play, a shecter stilleto-4 custom, not unfinished? and just some other kind of wood type feeling neck?

the bass im refering to, is a natual finish with two emg's. the neck is just so smooth.

yeah i know about the p-bass neck moving....i have to tune every time i bring my bass from home to school, and school to home. could be my new strings too.

freak

It probably has a satin finish, such as I am suggesting by wet sanding with 320.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back