The New Tone Thread

What do you guys think about the choice of tone for the rhythm guitar on this track.
It's a classic piece and I'm fascinated how such a crappy sounding crunch distortion seems to fit so well.
That it works must be due to the lead being so clean sounding.

The tone on the lap steel/slide ain't really that clean Sam, probably works well in the mix because of the difference in all the other instruments' sounds, & the performance seems pretty tight,....just my guess....

Well, the "Warden" just gave the the green light for a new toy, & can't decide what to get....
Jackson DK2MQ Pro Series Dinky Electric Guitar

Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 2014 Electric Guitar with Case

Kramer Pacer Classic Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose

Fender Jim Root Telecaster with Case

Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus GX Guitar with Case

Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus EX Guitar with Case

Of course, I'd love to have 'em all, but in reality, that ain't gonna happen...If I were to pick one of the cheaper priced guitars, that might give me some "wiggle" room for something else, like another low-watt amp, speaker cab, mics, pedals or something....

Laney IRT-Studio Ironheart Tube Guitar Amplifier HeadThe Laney 15/1w amp looks great, the thing that impresses me the most is the re-amp feature, & would be something I'd use quite a bit...Anyone had any experience with any of these guitars, the Epiphone Prophecy's in particular??? They look nice (I love the blue GX model looks, but don't know about the EMG p'ups...)...I know different styles/players like different guitars/p'ups, but I've spent a few hours today looking at guitars, & I've narrowed it down to these 6, ultimately, it'll be just 1...

I know I've been saying "I'm getting a big amp" for months now, but after thinking about it for a long while, & the fact that I'm getting better at my 'lil amp tones, I think low-watt is still the way to go for me right now....Any thoughts or suggestions from you guys???

Thanks Bob,
I reckon my budget for all this is about $1000....maybe $1200, but that's kinda pushing it....I'm thinking, get a pretty decent guitar (I'm leaning toward the Epiphone LP with passive p'ups), & that'd leave me a little $$$ left over for maybe another low-watt amp, pedals, or something....

Not gonna get in a hurry on my decision though, as it seems every time I hurry to do something, I fuck up...

The Tubemeister 18w was the amp I was gonna get before I got the Marshall DSL-1....The 5w version seems to have about all the bells/whistles the 18w does, sorta....

Thanks again dude, still doing some looking/research for a while, but I'll let you guys know when I decide...

What do you guys think about the choice of tone for the rhythm guitar on this track.
It's a classic piece and I'm fascinated how such a crappy sounding crunch distortion seems to fit so well.
That it works must be due to the lead being so clean sounding.

I think all of that is awesome as fuck.

The tone on the lap steel/slide ain't really that clean Sam, probably works well in the mix because of the difference in all the other instruments' sounds, & the performance seems pretty tight,....just my guess....

Well, the "Warden" just gave the the green light for a new toy, & can't decide what to get....
Jackson DK2MQ Pro Series Dinky Electric Guitar

Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 2014 Electric Guitar with Case

Kramer Pacer Classic Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose

Fender Jim Root Telecaster with Case

Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus GX Guitar with Case

Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus EX Guitar with Case

Of course, I'd love to have 'em all, but in reality, that ain't gonna happen...If I were to pick one of the cheaper priced guitars, that might give me some "wiggle" room for something else, like another low-watt amp, speaker cab, mics, pedals or something....

Laney IRT-Studio Ironheart Tube Guitar Amplifier HeadThe Laney 15/1w amp looks great, the thing that impresses me the most is the re-amp feature, & would be something I'd use quite a bit...Anyone had any experience with any of these guitars, the Epiphone Prophecy's in particular??? They look nice (I love the blue GX model looks, but don't know about the EMG p'ups...)...I know different styles/players like different guitars/p'ups, but I've spent a few hours today looking at guitars, & I've narrowed it down to these 6, ultimately, it'll be just 1...
I think you really should get out and play some if you can. Those pointy 80s wank noodle guitars are basically all the same, but those LP bodies will probably all feel vastly different. And who puts EMGs in a Tele? That's just silly. :D If you want an LP, I think the Epi GX model with the 498/490s would be good for you. Those pickups are pretty hot. Not EMG hot, but they'll sound like guitar pickups instead of a robot fart. Epis have come a really long way and they make some really nice guitars these days. I'd question the "coil tap" though. Is it a tap? Or a coil split? They're very different and the terminology gets misused very often.

I know I've been saying "I'm getting a big amp" for months now, but after thinking about it for a long while, & the fact that I'm getting better at my 'lil amp tones, I think low-watt is still the way to go for me right now....Any thoughts or suggestions from you guys???
Like Lt Boob, I'd really recommend the Tubemeister. It's bad ass. But really, for what you're doing, I think you're pretty set man. I'd bank that money for when I REALLY want something.

I think you really should get out and play some if you can. Those pointy 80s wank noodle guitars are basically all the same, but those LP bodies will probably all feel vastly different. And who puts EMGs in a Tele? That's just silly. :D If you want an LP, I think the Epi GX model with the 498/490s would be good for you. Those pickups are pretty hot. Not EMG hot, but they'll sound like guitar pickups instead of a robot fart. Epis have come a really long way and they make some really nice guitars these days. I'd question the "coil tap" though. Is it a tap? Or a coil split? They're very different and the terminology gets misused very often.
I'm pretty much leaning on a LP type guitar, while I'd love to have the Gibson I linked, that's still a lot of fuckin' money for a guitar....Cheap for a Gibson I know, but still.....The Prophecy LP looks to be winning the race today, but could change tomorrow...LOL...

On the Tele, man, I had a USA made Fender Tele Plus II just like this one, except mine was sunburst:

1991 Fender Telecaster Plus Blond Electric Guitar Lace Sensors Case Made in USA | eBay

And it was an awesome guitar, the Red Lace Sensor humbucker in the bridge had a coil tap for single coil tones (3-way switch, could have either the front or back coil), & the Blue Lace Sensor in the neck was great for bluesy tones....To be honest, the Tele I had was the best guitar I'd ever had/played in a band situation...Paid $700 for it used, & gave it away for $400 around 2002 or so...

I understand about the comments you made on the EMG's though, I had a guitar that had an EMG 81 in the bridge, & for high gain, it was killer, tons of gain on tap, but, it was shitty for cleans & semi-dirty stuff....This was when I played in a band too, & a lot of the stuff we played needed either clean or the semi-dirty/edge of breakup stuff, & the EMG sucked for that...After thinking about it for another day, I don't want a guitar with EMG's at all, so that's gonna narrow it down a little more....

If the blue Prophecy LP came with the 498/490 p'ups, that'd be the one, I really like the blue finish, & the binding makes it look even better to me...Of course, it ain't about the looks, but if I'm gonna drop that kind of $$$ on a guitar, I want it to look good too ya know....

On the coil tap, I'm pretty sure it splits the humbucker into a single coil, now, which one it uses when in single-coil mode is anybody's guess (front or back)....It would be cool to have a LP-type guitar that does the single coil thing too...

Like Lt Boob, I'd really recommend the Tubemeister. It's bad ass. But really, for what you're doing, I think you're pretty set man. I'd bank that money for when I REALLY want something.
Yeah, I agree dude, I think I'm gonna just stick to the amps I have for now, & get some more speakers, mics, & another interface so I can do the 2-mic on a cab/speaker thing, with both my amps at the same time....

I started a thread last night about audio interfaces, dunno if you saw it or not, but what interface do you use Greg??? I know you record a full drum kit, so, you have to have 8 pre's, right??? Lemme know, I might go the Epiphone LP & a new interface route...

On the coil tap, I'm pretty sure it splits the humbucker into a single coil, now, which one it uses when in single-coil mode is anybody's guess (front or back)....It would be cool to have a LP-type guitar that does the single coil thing too...
My LP Traditional has split coils. The bridge Burstbucker and neck 57 Classic can each be split into singles. That's true coil splitting. Coil tapping is taking a weaker single from further inside the winding. A tapped humbucker is still a humbucker, just with weaker output. A split humbucker is a humbucker literally split in half into a single coil. So when an ad or guitar description says "coil tap" they usually actually mean "coil split" but you never know. It might actually be tapped.

Yeah, I agree dude, I think I'm gonna just stick to the amps I have for now, & get some more speakers, mics, & another interface so I can do the 2-mic on a cab/speaker thing, with both my amps at the same time....

I started a thread last night about audio interfaces, dunno if you saw it or not, but what interface do you use Greg??? I know you record a full drum kit, so, you have to have 8 pre's, right??? Lemme know, I might go the Epiphone LP & a new interface route...
I use an old Presonus Firepod. It has 8 mic pres. I've never run two amps at the same time. I've used several mics on one cab, but never more than one amp. My Flanger has a stereo out, I wonder if I can use it as a splitter without it having to be on....

The Tele I had was a true coil split, it had a 3-way mini toggle to select either the front coil, back coil, or both (middle position)...Good advice that'll require more research/digging, but will be good to find out....

Dunno if your flanger will work with 2 amps without being on or not dude, my X3L does this, but at a cost of tone suckage (it's got mono L & right 1/4" outs, & I can bypass all the amp/cabs/fx, but again, it sucks the tone a little anytime I use it, no matter how I run my guitar into it)....Hook your amps/flanger up & see dude, you never know, it might be even more awesome having the JVM on one side & the JMP on the other with a 4x12 for each...If you do this, let us know man, 2 Marshall heads/4x12 cabs in stereo sounds awesome to me....

I just remembered my Digitech RP thing has two outputs on it. I can run into that, bypass all the nasty fake shit inside of it, and have two outs. I don't know what kind of tone suckage that would create though.

That's more gear than I wanna deal with though. One Marshall head and one 4x12 cab is more than enough to blow people out..

I think a LP (along with a Strat) is one of the basic requirements for a guitar-centric studio.

OTOH, your work blows me away already, so take my advice with the appropriate grain of salt...and don't you already have a LP?
Your guitar tones are already fantastic.

I copied Greg and got a LP with the split pick ups, I also ended up with a full on Marshall Amp,
this is due to the fact of there being a lot of knowledge, as well as common sense in his approach.

I would still like to get a reissue Princeton Reverb amp, since I had one of the originals that I still miss, along with the Vox AC-15 that I own, I would be perfectly supplied with guitar amplification.

I also posted the wrong vid up there, here is the studio version which I intended.
I was commenting that the rhythm guitar tone fits perfectly (and probably all that was available at the time) even though at first play it doesn't seem to be an obvious tone that one would choose.

I would like to add that I'm glad that the members here (Boob, Gerg and MM especially) enjoy the same kinds of tones and let me hang out in spite of the fact that I am always playing the odd duck out with my modelers. Truth is, traditional tube amplifiers cranked to 10 with a guitar plugged in still rule.

I know that I'm often just a hack, tagging along, but I'm still proud to be able to say that I know you guys.

At any rate, that blue studio LP is a beauty!

Oh, okay, I was thinking that. I didn't see anything that explicitly said cover, but it sounded way too pristine even for top-end modern tape recording.

Oh, okay, I was thinking that. I didn't see anything that explicitly said cover, but it sounded way too pristine even for top-end modern tape recording.

It might be a modern Ventures version off a tribute album or something. They've done about 200 covers of that song. That definitely aint no 50s recording.

I think a LP (along with a Strat) is one of the basic requirements for a guitar-centric studio.

OTOH, your work blows me away already, so take my advice with the appropriate grain of salt...and don't you already have a LP?
Your guitar tones are already fantastic.
Thanks Sam, but no, there's no LP here yet man, 90% of the tones I've posted here are my Ibanez RG350DX, with a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge...

I copied Greg and got a LP with the split pick ups, I also ended up with a full on Marshall Amp,
this is due to the fact of there being a lot of knowledge, as well as common sense in his approach.
Yes, the Gerg knows recording dude, I've learned tons from him in the last year or so chasing tones....

I would like to add that I'm glad that the members here (Boob, Gerg and MM especially) enjoy the same kinds of tones and let me hang out in spite of the fact that I am always playing the odd duck out with my modelers. Truth is, traditional tube amplifiers cranked to 10 with a guitar plugged in still rule.

I know that I'm often just a hack, tagging along, but I'm still proud to be able to say that I know you guys.
Dude, there's nothing wrong with using an ampsim/modeler at all. With some careful tweaking, nobody's gonna be able to tell if it's a real amp or not, & the only ones who'd really care are cork-sniffing tone-snobs to begin with, & to me, they don't matter anyway....

And on the "hack" thing, we're all fuckin' hacks man, some are just better at capturing the sound(s) we're trying to achieve...

At any rate, that blue studio LP is a beauty!
While the blue Gibson LP is nice, I'm leaning toward the Epiphone GX (passive p'ups, don't want EMG's here...) & a new interface that will allow me to record more tracks at a time than I'm able to do right now....

Thanks guys for the compliments. I just do what I do though. I just stay in my comfort zone. I'd be a wreck trying to do anything else.

Back