The New Tone Thread

The JVH was pretty cool. A lot of different preset levels, 3 per channel. OD1 was my favorite because it was the over-the-top Metallica tone that I have to pump hard from my amp with a front end device, but this one did it with ease. Checked chords and it spat them out crystal clear in OD1 and 2. I didn't care for the "crunch" channel because I'm probably spoiled by my amp, but the rest of it sounded really nice. If I ever played in a shredder band again, it would be a great amp to use.

I think the "crunch" channel it's it's best one. It is a cool amp though, huh? It's like 12 amps in one.

Oh come on, every home studio needs a 2000 dollar amp. :D

Only if the home studio owner has $2000 to buy it with. The money I have been stashing in my drawer is going to be for a PCM70, if I can find one in good condition, and the wife will never know it was bought, meaning I can keep telling her she spends too much on unnecessary things. I am an awesome husband.

Another big thing is keep a record of what you do!
I've got some decent tones recorded and not really clear exactly how to reproduce them.

I don't even do that. If i change anything i save it as a different preset. I have loards of room to do that, And if i get to like version 4 of the same rig i just go back and over-write version 1, etc.

I also made another discovery in regards to Amp Sims. The simulated volume of the amp. I think alot of my sounds sounded crappy casue i would always crank the "amps" volume to 100% and use the Db trim knob to get my input level to where i wanted it. Now, i actually reversed it and holy what a difference. Some of my amp sims sound freakin awesome up loud and others not so much.

Just thought i would pass that on. It came to me reading a post on here, the poster said that their amps sucked when cranked full or the amps sound to thin when at lower levels so i started playing around with that concept in the amp sims.

I suppose it is worthy of note i use the Line 6 Pod X3. So i am not sure how all amp sims would apply this? But it might be worth looking into. I, personally overlooked this.

I think the last post temporarily froze this thread :), so I'll get out and push to get it moving again.

ANy of you guys ever played a Hi Watt?

Just bumping the thread, & letting you guys know I'm still alive......one more week & I go on vacation for 9 days.........hope to still go record some stuff at the church I mentioned before, counting the days.......

But for now, it's off to work.....:cursing:

I think the last post temporarily froze this thread :), so I'll get out and push to get it moving again.

Yea i have. I had to borrow a buddies amp for a few gigs a few years ago and i had some Hiwatt 50 watt head and an orange cabinet. I really liked it. I kind think they are sort of an unsung hero in terms of amps. It just had so much tonal qualtities i liked.
I wish i could remember what it was though ? 50 watts. that is all i remember.

Just bumping the thread, & letting you guys know I'm still alive......one more week & I go on vacation for 9 days.........hope to still go record some stuff at the church I mentioned before, counting the days.......

But for now, it's off to work.....:cursing:

Good to see you minerman, thanks for checking in.

I also made another discovery in regards to Amp Sims. The simulated volume of the amp. I think alot of my sounds sounded crappy casue i would always crank the "amps" volume to 100% and use the Db trim knob to get my input level to where i wanted it. Now, i actually reversed it and holy what a difference. Some of my amp sims sound freakin awesome up loud and others not so much.

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?
It would be cool the see how the controls are laid out on your unit.

Greg, I saw a Marshall jvm 215c on ebay.
Man, I like combos for some reason, don't know what it is.
The jvm 205c has two unmatched speakers.

The 50 watters have a lot less knobs than the 100 watters, I've got to figure out what that is all about...

82600534.gif

Yea i have. I had to borrow a buddies amp for a few gigs a few years ago and i had some Hiwatt 50 watt head and an orange cabinet. I really liked it. I kind think they are sort of an unsung hero in terms of amps. It just had so much tonal qualtities i liked.
I wish i could remember what it was though ? 50 watts. that is all i remember.

Nice. I'm going to have to play one soon. I'm afraid I'll like it too much.

Yup, a bunch. An old bandmate of mine had one, and it was a great amp. Very punchy and vintage tubey sounding. He ran it into an old Marshall "bottom" 4x12 with Greenbacks. I liked it a lot.

Greg, I saw a Marshall jvm 215c on ebay.
Man, I like combos for some reason, don't know what it is.
The jvm 205c has two unmatched speakers.

The 50 watters have a lot less knobs than the 100 watters, I've got to figure out what that is all about...

82600534.gif

There's different variations of the JVM's. The "2" series has 50 & 100 watt head and combo versions and 2 channels with different modes. The "4" series is the bad boy with 4 channels, 3 modes each, and they only come 100 watts.

Hey Greg - I'm looking for a JCM 900 1x12 100 watt combo. Have you ever used one? I asked a chap at my local music shop about the 900 series and he said they were very bass heavy - have you found that to be the case? I also have a question about the twin channels: Can you get a light crunch on the first channel and a medium crunch on the second channel, or are the channels either very clean or very high gain?

I have a Marshall 1912 extension speaker to add to it which is the same width, so it would make an amazing mini-stack for my kid. :D

Hey Greg - I'm looking for a JCM 900 1x12 100 watt combo. Have you ever used one? I asked a chap at my local music shop about the 900 series and he said they were very bass heavy - have you found that to be the case? I also have a question about the twin channels: Can you get a light crunch on the first channel and a medium crunch on the second channel, or are the channels either very clean or very high gain?

I have a Marshall 1912 extension speaker to add to it which is the same width, so it would make an amazing mini-stack for my kid. :D

Sounds like you're looking at the Dual Reverb model? Marshall made three different 900's. The MkIII (the one I have) and the SL-X aren't really two channels. They're one channel with two master volumes. The Dual Reverb has two switchable channels if I remember correctly - clean and gain. I haven't messed with one of those in like 10 years. I don't recall them being bass heavy though. My mkIII sure isn't. I would imagine that with it being a tube Marshall, you can get medium crunch on either channel. Crank the clean channel, or roll back the gain channel.

Send a PM to a member named ido1957. He has a Dual Reverb 900. Or ask those mongoloid shut-in crybabies at the Marshall forums. :D

Sounds like you're looking at the Dual Reverb model? Marshall made three different 900's. The MkIII (the one I have) and the SL-X aren't really two channels. They're one channel with two master volumes. The Dual Reverb has two switchable channels if I remember correctly - clean and gain. I haven't messed with one of those in like 10 years. I don't recall them being bass heavy though. My mkIII sure isn't. I would imagine that with it being a tube Marshall, you can get medium crunch on either channel. Crank the clean channel, or roll back the gain channel.

Send a PM to a member named ido1957. He has a Dual Reverb 900. Or ask those mongoloid shut-in crybabies at the Marshall forums. :D

Yes, It's the Dual reverb I'm after. :D I think it's ideal for me for some of my pub gigs where the 4x12 won't fit. :)

Back