The New Tone Thread

Another big thing is keep a record of what you do!
I've got some decent tones recorded and not really clear exactly how to reproduce them.

Word to this.
Those 5 minutes might seem like a hassle at the time, but you'll be on your knees with joy once your douchebag friends girlfriend thinks its cool to move knobs and you realize youve written things down.
It is not cool to move knobs. No matter how hot you are.
Well. Ok. With girls and well meaning people it's not that big of a deal. But yeah.
Write shit down. Or take a picture.

I just ordered one of those tiny Peavey Vypr 15 things. I sold off all of my cabs a year ago and run through iso cabs that I monitor through my KRKs. That's not always practical, so, I figured it's time to get a little practice amp. Maybe I'll even mic it up for "demos".

I think my next purchase might be a new head though. I really want a Phaez.

Another big thing is keep a record of what you do!
I've got some decent tones recorded and not really clear exactly how to reproduce them.

I do this on preamp and other gear settings as I put the mics on different instruments, same would work on guitar. I have generic sheets with the knob layout on them and when I get something I like I just mark where the knobs are set. If I fill one sheet up I just print another blank.

This is the one form my Joemeek unit.

Attachments

• Joemeek VC1Qcs.jpg
    Joemeek VC1Qcs.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 44
Dude, it's 2012. Get rid of the flip and get a smartphone and learn how to use a cloud. ;)

I have an android but am not on the cloud. Hard drive still has lots of space left on it and I can back up the important stuff easily with disks. I just prefer turning knobs to clicking mice is all.

I have an android but am not on the cloud. Hard drive still has lots of space left on it and I can back up the important stuff easily with disks. I just prefer turning knobs to clicking mice is all.

I get that. Here's what I do: Snap a pic of the amp knobs and mic position, and name the files the name of the song and what track it is. Then keep it on my phone or upload it to a cloud service. Then at a later date when it's convenient, I take the 5 minutes and put the pics into their respective project folders. Ni big deal to me and it keeps me from having to keep notebooks of stuff. Also in reaper, there's a notepad in each project that you can keep notes in.

I get that. Here's what I do: Snap a pic of the amp knobs and mic position, and name the files the name of the song and what track it is. Then keep it on my phone or upload it to a cloud service. Then at a later date when it's convenient, I take the 5 minutes and put the pics into their respective project folders. Ni big deal to me and it keeps me from having to keep notebooks of stuff. Also in reaper, there's a notepad in each project that you can keep notes in.

I still love the paper manuals, song lyric sheets, notebooks, and the analog way when it comes to music. Not sure why because a lot of other stuff in my world is digital. If I was doing more of it(recording), then analog would probably prove to be a pita.:D

I have to go to GC in a bit to get an empty guitar box to ship my kid's JR1 so I'm going to try and play:

1) another Super Reverb to see if it does what mine does on the low e-string with humbuckers
2) one of those modern million-knob Marshall JVH models

The little salesboys will be all excited...a middle-aged guy walking in at a non-peak time wanting to demo expensive amps. But walking out with only an empty guitar box. :)

And maybe some moongels.

JVM. "M". Don't walk in there, a middle-aged guy at non-peak time, and make yourself look like a morno. :D

Sometimes I like to fake that I'm a beginner and ask what they would recommend as a minimum decent setup for a beginner like me. Getting ready to go now.

Sometimes I like to fake that I'm a beginner and ask what they would recommend as a minimum decent setup for a beginner like me. Getting ready to go now.

I do that with the drum guys. Especially with heads. Then I just buy what I knew I was gonna buy anyway. :D

man ..... doesn't that just take longer and waste time?
When I go to those places I wanna look at what I wanna look at and be left alone.

When I go to those places I wanna look at what I wanna look at and be left alone.

Well yeah there's that, but sometimes it's nice to just shmooze around and be a dick to people. :D

It does, but it's kind of fun if I have a little extra time like I did today. I consider it my lunch break. One of the guys was new and was pretty cool, another (long straight hair, '70s look but ugly as fuck) was really smiley and polite until I told him I was just looking for an empty guitar box. He said he'd check and walked away not to return. I went and followed up with him, though. He works in the vintage ($$$) room, so I'm going to go back maybe Saturday, play a bunch of vintage shit and act real interested, then tell him I'm going to shop prices on ebay for awhile. The new guy (probably my age) was cool and got me my box when the other guy walked away.

The JVH was pretty cool. A lot of different preset levels, 3 per channel. OD1 was my favorite because it was the over-the-top Metallica tone that I have to pump hard from my amp with a front end device, but this one did it with ease. Checked chords and it spat them out crystal clear in OD1 and 2. I didn't care for the "crunch" channel because I'm probably spoiled by my amp, but the rest of it sounded really nice. If I ever played in a shredder band again, it would be a great amp to use.

They didn't have any Supers in stock, but I've read online it is a common issue. I may try a little tube rolling to try and get it where I want it, beginning with a 12ay7 or at7 in V2 for starters.

Back