The New Tone Thread

one last one ..... apparently I'd had a big day ..... shhhh, he's sleeping!
:laughings:

That harp player behind me in the 2nd pic is a guy I play guitar behind with his band, The PickUps. He's an absolute monster on harp and hates the blues so he plays anything other than that!

Attachments

• tommy talton3.jpg
    tommy talton3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 35
  • tommy talton7.jpg
    tommy talton7.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 35
Great shots Lt. Bob.
Congratulations as well.
You've obviously impressed someone across the years of playing.
If you had to decide would you guest as sax or guitar?

Bob: Very, very cool man, rubbing shoulders with Greg Allman??? Very, very cool....You've been playing me all this time, to be asked to sit in with a pro-level band like that means you've got some talent dude, again, very, very cool....More pics please!!!!

Just so all my buddies here know, my Dad's been fighting lung cancer for the last year & 1/2, but finally went home peacefully about 5:30 pm yesterday...Me & my family have been very, very busy today getting everything sorted, but we're all ok, & hangin' in there, just like Dad would want us to do...This is the single hardest thing I've ever faced, but I'm gonna make it through, as the old man wouldn't have it any other way....

Now, that said, post up some toans guys, keep the thread going!!!!

Bob: Very, very cool man, rubbing shoulders with Greg Allman??? Very, very cool....You've been playing me all this time, to be asked to sit in with a pro-level band like that means you've got some talent dude, again, very, very cool....More pics please!!!!

Just so all my buddies here know, my Dad's been fighting lung cancer for the last year & 1/2, but finally went home peacefully about 5:30 pm yesterday...Me & my family have been very, very busy today getting everything sorted, but we're all ok, & hangin' in there, just like Dad would want us to do...This is the single hardest thing I've ever faced, but I'm gonna make it through, as the old man wouldn't have it any other way....

Now, that said, post up some toans guys, keep the thread going!!!!

Hey Miner. So sorry to hear that, mate. Our thoughts are with you.

If you had to decide would you guest as sax or guitar?
sax without a doubt ..... several reasons ..... first, if you sit-in on guitar you have to take someone else's instrument from them. That always limits your playing time to a few songs at most while with a sax I'm an addition to what's already there so I can just stay the hell up there!

Two ...... people ( including musicians) really react very strongly to my sax playing. Pretty much I'll start playing and they make a fuss over me. I dunno .... I'm a pretty decent player but I just don't see it. But there's no doubt that it's there so I don't mind using it.

And lastly on sax I can play with virtually any song regardless if I have the faintest idea how it goes or not .... I'll find a part that'll sound like it's always been there and that impresses people so they let me keep playing.

So if I sit in on sax I'll prolly get a few hours of time out of it while guitar really drops that down to not much.

Here's some more of my shitty tones, just killing time, trying to keep my mind occupied....Having a really hard time getting any sleep for the past couple of nights, so, I figured I'd record/post some tones....Going for an AC-DC type tone here, not even close (I know, I know...), but, maybe in a mix this would work well enough...maybe we'll find out someday when I get off my ass & finish a song....

LP > SD-1 > DSL-1 H > V30 > Behringer C1

As usual, I added just a hair of 'verb in the daw, I really think it helps with my tones, as the ISO cab is completely dry, & I think it adds just a hint of room 'verb that a mic might pick up, if it were in an actual room, instead of a box.....What do you guys think about the 'verb I've been putting on these clips????? Does it seem to help the sound, or is the 'verb making it worse than it already was???? Lemme know....

LP: Bridge p'up, vol/tone maxed

SD-1:
Level:10
Tone: 4-5
Drive: 1-2

DSL-1:
0.1w mode
Green/Classic Gain channel
Vol: 10
Gain: 10
Bass: 8
Mid: 7
Treble: 0
Deep Switch: On
Tone/Mid Shift: Off

Like I've mentioned before, the LP is waaay brighter than my other guitars, by a mile, on this clip, I had the treble on the amp completely off, & it's still got the "bite"/high end that I like (and usually get carried away with)...I've noticed with the LP too the mids act almost like a treble control, & the actual treble is almost like presence....Love the LP though guys, I still haven't changed the strings/gave it a setup, but, will get around to it eventually...Might need to dial in the mic a little better too, but, maybe in a mix it'd be passable/ok....

Sorry to go off topic here but....

I know I've been pretty lazy about finishing songs for the past year or so (probably longer), but honestly, with everything that's been going on in my life, it's been pretty hard for me just to go to work every day, especially with my Dad's health & trying to spend all the time I could with him, while I could....Not using him as an excuse in any way, because if I had it to do over, or had to choose between the songs/music & Pappy, well, there'd be no choice really, just sayin' things ain't been easy for me for a long time now, & maybe I'll get back in the swing of things before too long.....Actually, my whole family has had their lives "on hold" for the past year & 1/2, but again, it's ok, we're all hangin' as tough as we can, but again, it ain't easy for any of us....

I wanna thank you guys for the kind words about my Dad too, it really hasn't "hit" me fully yet, probably will though, as his funeral is Sunday....

Back to the toans, dunno if you've noticed or not, but I'm really liking the green/clean channel of the 'lil Marshall, both the vol/gain cranked, then boosted with an od...Seems to give a more classic rock type tone like this, where the red/ultra gain channel is just balls-out high gain...

Lemme know what you guys think, as usual, be honest like you always have, so I can get my shit together with the new LP tones.....:D

On all of the big DSLs I've ever played I tend to like the "Classic Gain" channel better. The "Ultra" channel is generally just too hot and thin for me unless I turn the gain way low and Ultra 2 is just blech. Classic Gain Crunch mode is bad ass. Ultra 1 with the gain low is okay too, but not as good to me. Sounds like your DSL-1's Green channel is like the bigger version's Classic Gain channel Crunch mode.

I like your clip. It sounds pretty damn good, but it's lacking some "beef" to me for that style. I had to listen about ten times to try to figure out what I'm not hearing, and I think I know what it is....you're in .1 watt mode. And that's kind of what it's sounding like to me. It sounds under-powered a little bit. I was thinking "it sounds kind of stiff" and yeah, .1 watt into a stiff speaker like a V30 and that can happen. Try going up to full power and mic the Greenback! :D

I think your use of reverb is fine. I never really notice it, so in my mind you're doing it right.

I'm glad you got to spend time with your dad ..... I didn't with mine and it's always bothered me .....

Your clip sounds good ....... I'm surprised how bright it is myself with the treble off ...... that's a nice LP you got.

I agree with greg, I've never noticed you use of 'verb at all and for me that's how 'verb should be ..... it creates a space without drawing attention to itself.
Nice toans you're getting ...... makes me a-wanting more gear!

Thanks guys,
you know, the reverb comments make me feel really good, I've always read that if you use it correctly, people who listen to your stuff won't even know it's there, so again makes me feel really good about the 'verb....You know, I spend a lot of time on these silly little clips of mine, but I think it's finally starting to pay off, I'm finally getting some of the tones I've been after all this time..:D..

Greg: Yeah, underpowered is about right man, but I did this clip at like 3-4 this morning, & did'nt wanna wake the wife up....The LP has a lot more bottom end than my other guitars, & it comes through the ISO cab....The red channel for me has way too much gain, but if I don't turn it up to 2-3, that channel sounds really weak....I wonder if the mod for the JVM-1 would apply to my DSL-1??? I read that thread in the JVM forum a few days ago, & it seems simple, & would probably be reversible if I didn't like it or wanted the amp back to "original".....Gonna do some searching/digging & try to find out....Thanks man!!!!

Bob: Thanks man, not sure why, but the LP is really bright, makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my other guitars now LOL...And on spending time with the old man, it's never enough really, especially when I knew what was coming....I can honestly say, I did everything I could while I could for him...Thanks again dude....

Thanks guys,
you know, the reverb comments make me feel really good, I've always read that if you use it correctly, people who listen to your stuff won't even know it's there, so again makes me feel really good about the 'verb....You know, I spend a lot of time on these silly little clips of mine, but I think it's finally starting to pay off, I'm finally getting some of the tones I've been after all this time..:D..

Greg: Yeah, underpowered is about right man, but I did this clip at like 3-4 this morning, & did'nt wanna wake the wife up....The LP has a lot more bottom end than my other guitars, & it comes through the ISO cab....The red channel for me has way too much gain, but if I don't turn it up to 2-3, that channel sounds really weak....I wonder if the mod for the JVM-1 would apply to my DSL-1??? I read that thread in the JVM forum a few days ago, & it seems simple, & would probably be reversible if I didn't like it or wanted the amp back to "original".....Gonna do some searching/digging & try to find out....Thanks man!!!!

Bob: Thanks man, not sure why, but the LP is really bright, makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my other guitars now LOL...And on spending time with the old man, it's never enough really, especially when I knew what was coming....I can honestly say, I did everything I could while I could for him...Thanks again dude....

I'm no expert or anything, but every good LP I've ever played was fairly bright. I know they're known for huge fat tones, but the nice ones have a lot of clarity too. They are full and clear across the spectrum. That yours is "bright" is a good thing to me. I think that's a sign that you got a hold of a good one.

Ok guys, here's a clip showing how much the mids affect the high end with the LP > DSL-1.....

LP > SD-1 > DSL-1 > V30 > C1 mic

SD-1:
Level: 10
Tone: 5
Drive: 1-2

DSL-1:
1w mode
Green channel
Vol: 10
Gain:10
Bass: 10
Deep: On
Treble: 0
Mids are in small steps increasing about "2" on the knob/dial each time, starting at "0" & ending up on "10"....there are 7 "parts" in this clip, the middle one is with the mid knob on "5"....remember that the treble on the amp is completely off, which amazes me really, very, very bright amp/guitar setup I've got now....

And, as usual, there's just a touch of reverb on this clip too....

To me, this sounds kind of "plexi-ish" really, I know it's not got the massive, powerful volume like the plexi has, but, for what it is, maybe I'm onto something with the new guitar into the 'lil Marshall.....Lemme know what you guys think, I'm out the door for a couple/few hours, but I'll be back sometime later tonight.....

Last edited:
That's pretty shocking that your mid control acts like that. Sounds to me more like a presence control than mid. Crazy. That is really strange to me. For comparison, on my amps the mid knob is more like "punch". As in, yeah it controls the mids, but it really controls how much percussive chunk you get from the midrange, and it's noticeable. On the 2204 the mids will knock you down. It is surprising to me that your mid control affects the brightness so much. Does it only do that with the LP?

You could mod your LP to tame the brightness some if it's bugging you. Higher value capacitors, or using lower valued pots can darken it up a little. I went from 250k to 500k in my Hallmark and it really brought out some shimmer. It's much better to me. I think new Gibsons use 500k pots, so going down to an old school gibson 300k could darken it up just a little. And of course, you could roll back the tone knob.

That's pretty shocking that your mid control acts like that. Sounds to me more like a presence control than mid. Crazy. That is really strange to me. For comparison, on my amps the mid knob is more like "punch". As in, yeah it controls the mids, but it really controls how much percussive chunk you get from the midrange, and it's noticeable. On the 2204 the mids will knock you down. It is surprising to me that your mid control affects the brightness so much. Does it only do that with the LP?
Yeah, it kinda grabbed me by the boo-boo too dude, I never thought it'd be this bright...Only does it with the LP, the Ibanez & Strat don't do this....So, it has to be the LP....

You could mod your LP to tame the brightness some if it's bugging you. Higher value capacitors, or using lower valued pots can darken it up a little. I went from 250k to 500k in my Hallmark and it really brought out some shimmer. It's much better to me. I think new Gibsons use 500k pots, so going down to an old school gibson 300k could darken it up just a little. And of course, you could roll back the tone knob.
It's not really bugging me, I just find it very odd/strange being so bright....I'll have to take the covers off the back & check out what is going on, haven't done that yet....As far as modding the LP, nah, not gonna go there as of yet, I can just roll back the tone knob a little to cut some of the high end out if I wanna....

I won't be able to do it until probably Monday, but I think I'm gonna put the stock tubes back in the DSL-1, & see what that does, if it does anything & take it from there....

On the LP, I really don't wanna start hacking/modding that thing to be honest, as I've not even had it a month yet, but I am curious to see if it's got the quick-change plug harness things in it, I'm pretty sure it does, but I'll find out for sure in a day or so...

FWIW though, I really like how the LP > Marshall sounds dude, even if I have to turn the treble/mids waaaay down, it's still got a great sound IMO, but this has got the wheels in my head turning, so I'll get to the bottom of it before long.....

Gonna grab a snack & hit the bed....Big day tomorrow, wish me luck guys, don't know how I'm gonna handle things, but I'm gonna do my best....

Couldn't stand it, so, I took the cover off the back, & here's what I found (sorry for the shitty cell phone pic, it was handy, & just grabbed it):

Looks to me like everything's ok, & to be honest, I like the fact that I can swap p'ups without soldering....I know I'd probably have to replace the harness things with something that's "universal" (if there is a such thing), but again, a p'up change (with compatible plugs/jacks) would be a breeze, & no soldering would be a really good thing for me....

someone said post a few more pics so I will. The next night I went nack to his band's actual show and he once again got me up and this time I was the only guest player ..... stayed up a long time too.
Anyway ..... here's a few pics of that night simply because they had a bad-ass photog there and he took a few that I thought were outstanding. These two are me.
I may have to buy this first one for my promo pak

Attachments

• in the shadows.jpg
    in the shadows.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
lastly check out this pic of Tommy with the 335 he got as a b'day gift the night before.

Attachments

• Tommy w guitar hilited.jpg
    Tommy w guitar hilited.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 26
Back