The New Tone Thread

Here's another couple of clips with the 2-mic thing...yep, today, I'm a toan posting fool......:D

LP > SD-1 > DSL-1 >GB > '57 & C1

SD-1:
Level: 10
Tone: 3-4
Drive: 3-4

DSL-1:
1w mode
Green channel
Gain: 10
Vol: 8
Bass: 10
Mid: 4
Treble: 6-7
Deep: On
Tone Shift: Off

This one's a little too bright/scratchy sounding, probably the SD-1, but, it'd probably be passable in a mix with some high end rolled off with an eq...

This one's a little different, I used the 2-mic thing, but with 2 seperate performances....The left side is the green channel, with the same settings as above...The right side is the red channel, without the boost.....

Red channel:
Gain: 4
Volume: 8-9
1w mode
Bass: 10
Mid: 3
Treble: 5
Deep: On
Tone shift: Off

There's quite a bit of 'verb added in the daw, trying to re-create the sound of the guitars from the album (only from memory though, I didn't listen to the song, & I'm probably way off, but still, I think it sounds pretty good...)...Neal Schon is a great player IMHO, & this is one of my favorite songs from years ago....I really didn't spend much time on this one to be honest, just plug-n-play, probably took longer messing with the panning & reverb than it did dialing the tone in...:D

The first one is great during the clean part, but yeah, it's a little harsh when the gain kicks in.

The second one is just pure badass. Still a hair bright, but it sounds great. Good use with the reverb. I normally don't like big reverb but you dialed it in really well :D

They all sound good to me, and I think you've done a really nice job with the blend. I'm not hearing any phase problems.
Thanks Greg, I didn't use a tape measure or do anything like that trying to get the mics in-phase with one another, just eyeballed it...But, they're really close to the speaker too, so....just guessing, the mics would be probably 2-3" off the speaker grill, if I had one...LOL...

The question to me is, is it worth it? I think for these clips, the answer is no. The 57 sounded great by itself. So did the C1. I think you could get the same result by just moving the 57 a little further off center or moving the C1 in some. The middle of the speaker will give you some bite and some bigness without having to worry about phase problems.I think, just my opinion, you should try using the 57 like normal and the condenser farther away and blending it in very gently. Or use the condenser on the back of the speaker, flipping the phase, and blending that in very gently.
Cool man, that's why I post these clips to see what might work, & what might not...I've got a shitload of notepad things with a lot of different quotes, suggestions, etc., stashed away on my external hard drive for future refrence...The condensor on the back of the speaker is something I'd never have thought of myself....I guess it'd be like mic'ing the back of a 4x12 for the low-end + room thing....Good tip man, keep 'em comin'!!!! Right, both the '57 & the C1 sound pretty similar in these clips, I think I need to play with the mic position to get a fairly different sound from each, & blend 'em, that would make it worthwhile to use the 2 mics, right???

There is a big drawback to me using the ISO cab though, I've got roughly 12" of play in the front of the speaker, & while I could stick a mic behind the speaker, I wouldn't have much room for adjustment....I'm gonna keep playing with the 2 mics though, & see what I can come up with....

Did you listen to the Journey clip???

^ Ooops....jumped the gun....:D Thanks dude, I really, really like the tone on the Journey clip myself, that's the 2-mic thing, panned out, with a shitload of 'verb on 'em....Yeah, it's a little bright, but I could always dial the treble back, turn the tone knob down a little, or use a little eq in the daw if I needed to...But, thinking on that shit again, I need to get it right going in, that way I don't have to fix it later...;).

I think this is gonna work out for me man, lately, I've been getting some pretty good tones (IMO anyway), that I'm really happy with...The new LP & cheap-ass mic(s) have definitely made a difference, & on top of that, they've made me wanna play a lot more, which honestly, I just haven't had the heart to do in a long time really.....

Thanks again dude!!!

Yeah I commented on it. You just missed it in my barrage of posts. Lol. It's pretty awesome.

The iso cab will limit your far-away mic placement for sure. Miking the back of the speaker is an old trick people used to do with open back combos/cabs. You want some low end? That'll give you a buttload of it. The back of the speaker generally sounds terrible by itself, but it can blend in very nicely.

Another mic position I like that isn't talked about very often is what I call the reverse off-axis. Typically, off-axis positioning tilts the mic using the capsule as the pivot point. The back of the mic is what you'd swing out to point the mic off-axis. Works great usually. I like to do the reverse sometimes. I'll set the mic up dead center on the speaker and tilt the capsule out towards the cone using the back of the mic as the pivot point. The back stays on center, but the front of the mic is now pointed out to the cone, and I usually try to look in there and make the mic perpendicular to the angle of the cone itself. Works pretty good, and you can get a really fat but tight capture like that. Try it out.

^ Ooops....jumped the gun....:D Thanks dude, I really, really like the tone on the Journey clip myself, that's the 2-mic thing, panned out, with a shitload of 'verb on 'em....Yeah, it's a little bright, but I could always dial the treble back, turn the tone knob down a little, or use a little eq in the daw if I needed to...But, thinking on that shit again, I need to get it right going in, that way I don't have to fix it later...;).

I think this is gonna work out for me man, lately, I've been getting some pretty good tones (IMO anyway), that I'm really happy with...The new LP & cheap-ass mic(s) have definitely made a difference, & on top of that, they've made me wanna play a lot more, which honestly, I just haven't had the heart to do in a long time really.....

Thanks again dude!!!

Your tones have been really good to me. I wouldn't sweat it too much. There's nothing wrong with using a little EQ in a mix to tidy things up. That's what EQ is for. If your sounds were ass and you wanted to actually fix them with EQ, I'd say yeah get back to work. But they aren't. Your stuff sounds ready to me. Finish a song! :D

Cool on the mic placement tricks/tips, more for the notepad thing....Jumped the gun on the last post, but it's all good dude...I'm gonna copy paste the last couple posts of yours for future refrence....And, if you can think of anything else like that, keep 'em comin'...:thumbs up:.

Haven't heard from my buddy over at the Marshall forum, but I'm gonna try to get him to come over here when he gets his interface/mic....Like I said, he's a complete newbie at recording...He told me yesterday he was overwhelmed by Reaper....LOL...Been there, a long time ago, but I've been there....LOL....I told him this thread would help him a bunch, but again, haven't heard from him....gonna send him a pm in a few minutes to see if he pulled the trigger on anything yet....

Your tones have been really good to me. I wouldn't sweat it too much. There's nothing wrong with using a little EQ in a mix to tidy things up. That's what EQ is for. If your sounds were ass and you wanted to actually fix them with EQ, I'd say yeah get back to work. But they aren't. Your stuff sounds ready to me. Finish a song! :D

Can't believe the Gerg is braggin' on my guitar tones....LOL....I've been working on some vocals for a song or two, that's my weakest spot, vocals...to me, my singing sounds like 2 cats fighting to the death in a 100 gallon washing machine that's almost full of water, sloshing around....LOL...

Cool on the mic placement tricks/tips, more for the notepad thing....Jumped the gun on the last post, but it's all good dude...I'm gonna copy paste the last couple posts of yours for future refrence....And, if you can think of anything else like that, keep 'em comin'...:thumbs up:.

Haven't heard from my buddy over at the Marshall forum, but I'm gonna try to get him to come over here when he gets his interface/mic....Like I said, he's a complete newbie at recording...He told me yesterday he was overwhelmed by Reaper....LOL...Been there, a long time ago, but I've been there....LOL....I told him this thread would help him a bunch, but again, haven't heard from him....gonna send him a pm in a few minutes to see if he pulled the trigger on anything yet....

Reaper is stupid easy and intuitive, but it does take a little bit for it to click with most people. Myself included. But once it clicks, you're like, this makes total sense. Get him over here and I'll help in any way I can.

Can't believe the Gerg is braggin' on my guitar tones....LOL....I've been working on some vocals for a song or two, that's my weakest spot, vocals...to me, my singing sounds like 2 cats fighting to the death in a 100 gallon washing machine that's almost full of water, sloshing around....LOL...

Ha, yeah I think your sounds have been really good. You've learned your equipment for the most part. Everything you're doing now is just fine tuning and experimentation. Think about it, in a pinch could you quickly throw down on a quick guitar track and have it be good? Sure you could. I think so. It might not be exactly what you want, but would it be bad? No. I think not. I think you could knock out really good stuff pretty consistently and without much fuss. So in that regard, you're ready dude. If more people learned their gear the way you have the world wouldn't so full of absolute shit.

Damn, I'm looking at my old Pro Co Rat, and decided to see what people are asking for these things on ebay. Holy crap! I'm sitting on a gold mine over here. :laughings:

Damn, I'm looking at my old Pro Co Rat, and decided to see what people are asking for these things on ebay. Holy crap! I'm sitting on a gold mine over here. :laughings:

What kind of a gold mine? I've got an old one that I haven't used in forever...

See Greg, I offered to buy that fuckin' pedal not more than a month or two ago....dammit!!!!! :p Seriously though, those pedals like that are going out-fuckin'-rageous with their prices....

See Greg, I offered to buy that fuckin' pedal not more than a month or two ago....dammit!!!!! :p Seriously though, those pedals like that are going out-fuckin'-rageous with their prices....

Haha, I know. Lots of people have offered to buy it. I'm all WTF these things sound like shit. Lol.

Well, I just sent my buddy another pm in the Marshall forum, & I'm trying to convince him to buy a 2 channel/input interface instead of a hand-held thing....Maybe he will, maybe he won't, I dunno....But, I think I've sparked his interest in our little thread over here, I told him the Gerg was gonna help, & he asked for the link again....I just hope he buys a 2 input interface instead of the hand-held....Some of those are nice, but, I'm afraid he'll outgrow it pretty quick, & have to spend more $$$ on something else....We'll see I suppose....

He's a really good guy, that's got a pretty nice setup....60's Tribute LP (with some custom p'ups in it), home-made, hand-wired 18w fire-breathing Jose based/hot-rodded amp head, 1x12 cab, & IIRC, he's got some pretty nice boost/od pedals too....He's the guy who sent me both of the Duncan Custom Custom p'ups I have btw....

Again, I hope he gets an interface that will allow him to grow if he decides to go further than just guitar tone clips....

I have been doing a lot of acousticy stuff in 2013. My news year resolution is to get back to basics and rock out a bit. Have a few foundations for some roots punk rock and roll stuff all laid out. Took an hour to try to dial in a rhythm guitar tone for the ideas i have for projects i have for the rest of this long cold Canadian winter. My aim is to use full chords as the main rhythm guit tracks and power chords as filler in the back ground.

Maybe

I was going to share some settings with you but seeing as it is a sim i figured it doesn't matter all that much when it comes to numbers.

Gibson LP Jr Special, Bridge P90 > Line 6 100W Hiwatt Sim > 1968 Marshall Basketweave w/ greenback speakers Amp Model

Pointless right? haha! Ignore the noodling foul ups, i wasn't aiming for perfection on performance delivery.

Cheers

Back