The New Tone Thread

I like Scott Ian's idea on those upper frets. :laughings:

1340751184_4069_ian.jpg

I don't get the super strats and pointy shred machines. I think I'm just simply not a good enough player to utilize the ergonomic features of those guitars maybe? I just don't find them that easy to play. They feel small and kind of weak to me. The super thin flat necks and massive frets. Light bodies. They're like toys. When I hold one, I don't feel like I have a musical instrument in my hands. It feels like a toy. My actual Strat doesn't really feel that way. It feels like a guitar. But Ibanez, Jacksons, and Charvels and stuff...I just don't get along with them. Really, for me, if it's about playing ease, the SG and Flying V are about as easy as it gets. I mean, there's no heel whatsoever on an SG. Every fret is simple to get to. I wonder why more shred guys don't use those. There's got to be something about Super Strats that I just don't understand...besides just looking kind of dated and hair-cheesy.
For me, it's about ease of play & light weight...I had a guitar exactly like this one, same color, exactly....My parents paid about $900 for it new in 1988 IIRC...Best feeling, playing guitar I've ever owned, super thin neck that was just so easy to play, 3 humbuckers (the single coils are actually stacked, & the bridge has a coil tap, all DiMarzio designed), with 3-on/off switches, just a great playing guitar...I used to sleep with mine when I was still at home (literally), I played night/day man, every waking minute I spend with my hands on that guitar....I got married in '92 & it all stopped for a few years, then when I was going through my divorce, my lovely then to be ex-wife sold this guitar, along with my Gibson SG Junior (& everything else I owned, literally....furniture, tv's, applicances, you name it, she hocked/sold it all...when I came in from work one night, all I had was the clothes on my back...literally...she sold all that shit & skipped to another state...what really amazed me, is how fast she got rid of all that shit, & I couldn't find any of it anywhere...that one still gets me...) to support her drug habit....I've tried & tried over the years, but can't find either one of those guitars, & actually tried taking legal action against her, but was pissing in the wind....If I ever run into her again (haven't seen the bitch in over 15 years now), I'll probably choke her eyes out of her head, even if it does give me jail time....

This shop notorious for their high prices, but they are negotiable. But that one that says "consignment" - that's the price. No haggling on consignments. The prices on those items are insane, but look around the net, that's what those vintage Marshall items are going for. In the 90s you couldn't give away a Marshall anything. Somewhere along the way into the early 2000s people realized how bad ass those old Marshalls actually were and prices started skyrocketing. Now here we are. That original 68 Plexi I mentioned earlier at my tech's shop? The guy paid 5 grand for it. 5 thousand motherfucking dollars for a 50 year old guitar amp. These things are entering investment territory. Who's gonna play them? They're gonna become like original 57 Les Pauls just sitting under someone's bed waiting to be re-sold for massive profit. Who's gonna drag an $1800 dollar vintage cab out to bar and club gigs? No one in their right mind. I wouldn't anyway. That's a fucking museum piece now, only to be played in a climate-controlled-smoke-free home or maybe taken to a studio for some recording. And maybe my ears just aren't refined enough, but does a $1800 vintage 70s 1960a cab really sound better than my $275 90s 1960a with my choice of speakers in it? I don't know. Maybe it does. But I bet it doesn't sound $1525 better.
I dunno if those cabs would sound any better than a cheaper one or not man, & I'll probably never know myself, but that's ridiculous on the prices....Have you ever saw the Marshall Museum dude??? Lots of cool stuff there....The owner/operator is a member of the Marshall Roadhouse forum...

Yeah this guy is a guitar freak. Rip roaring leads are his thing. He's a child of the 80s. All he does is sit around and play guitar. It's pretty amazing to watch him go. I can't even begin to comprehend how he knows where to go when he's putting together a lead. He's not a big theory guy. He doesn't sit there and think "well this song is in A so I should use a lydian phrygian whatever scale". He's not like that. I can only assume that he knows so many famous leads from his guitar heroes that he just picks little pieces from them and puts it all together. When we're writing and recording, he might do 20 leads for the same song, all different, but all of them work. It's mind boggling. He hears things that he likes or dislikes in his own leads that I can't pick up on. I'm just like whatever man. Just pick the one you want on the song.
At one time, I was almost like that, I'd eat, sleep, & live playing my guitar....This was before I got married & left my parents' home though, I'd sit & learn a whole album instead of just a song, I'd learn the whole album dude....Man, what I'd give to go back to those days/back in time, I'd never have gotten married, & I fuckin' sure wouldn't crawl around in a hole in the ground for a fuckin' living.....Post some clips of your buddy if you get time dude, I'd love to hear him sometime...

Yeah, from what I've heard from you, I think a LP suits your sound and style very well. You play a lot of riffy stuff. No super fast, not super technical, not super basic, but just good ol rock and roll riffs. Big beefy riffs. An LP is perfect for that. The Les Paul is the king of big beefy rock and roll riffs.
I've never been a shred guy, years ago, I did learn how to play some of that shit, but it just never appealed to me, I was always into the bluesy stuff, even if it was hair-metal, like Cinderella comes to mind, their first (and only IIRC) albums were blues-based rock...Now don't get me wrong, Malmsteem & shit like that on the technical side is amazing, but IMO, the songs suck...No point in being amazing if the song(s) that the amazing guitar is in sucks IMHO....Randy Rhoads was one of my heros, George Lynch, there were so many back in the day though....Thanks for the compliment dude, I wish I had time to get my chops back into shape like they were years ago, but don't think it's gonna happen really, I stopped playing for too long really.....Now, it's all I can do to find time to record a few tracks here/there....Fuck dude, where did 25 years go????

For me, it's about ease of play & light weight...I had a guitar exactly like this one, same color, exactly....My parents paid about $900 for it new in 1988 IIRC...Best feeling, playing guitar I've ever owned, super thin neck that was just so easy to play, 3 humbuckers (the single coils are actually stacked, & the bridge has a coil tap, all DiMarzio designed), with 3-on/off switches, just a great playing guitar...I used to sleep with mine when I was still at home (literally), I played night/day man, every waking minute I spend with my hands on that guitar....I got married in '92 & it all stopped for a few years, then when I was going through my divorce, my lovely then to be ex-wife sold this guitar, along with my Gibson SG Junior (& everything else I owned, literally....furniture, tv's, applicances, you name it, she hocked/sold it all...when I came in from work one night, all I had was the clothes on my back...literally...she sold all that shit & skipped to another state...what really amazed me, is how fast she got rid of all that shit, & I couldn't find any of it anywhere...that one still gets me...) to support her drug habit....I've tried & tried over the years, but can't find either one of those guitars, & actually tried taking legal action against her, but was pissing in the wind....If I ever run into her again (haven't seen the bitch in over 15 years now), I'll probably choke her eyes out of her head, even if it does give me jail time....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Damn, that's fucked up. Not you wanting to kill her, that's understandable, but her selling your shit. Terrible.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Damn, that's fucked up. Not you wanting to kill her, that's understandable, but her selling your shit. Terrible.

Yeah dude, you know, she already had 3 kids when I married her, treated 'em just like they were mine, worked my ass off trying to keep a roof over all their heads, food, you know, really busted my ass dude....If I could work an extra 3-4 hours a day, I'd do it...But yeah, for a long time, I would have killed her if I ever ran across her, but, I've mellowed out a lot over the last few years....I probably wouldn't kill her now, just hit her in the nose like I would a man.....:laughings:

And, here's a pic of me this evening with the new LP with the Jimmy Page "duck-face" thing I've been working on :)....

Thanks guys....you know something, I just noticed how big my fuckin' belly's getting...plus, my hat's on crooked....:laughings:

Damn, look at all the fucking grey hair in my beard....hate to see it when I do get old, fuck...I'm only 43 btw....:facepalm:

Check out these pics of my Dad my sister sent me, I'm guessing these were taken in the early 40's or so, he was born in '37....

Not sure how old he was in either, but I thought it would be cool to let you guys see these...

Thanks guys....you know something, I just noticed how big my fuckin' belly's getting...plus, my hat's on crooked....:laughings:

Damn, look at all the fucking grey hair in my beard....hate to see it when I do get old, fuck...I'm only 43 btw....:facepalm:
lol ..... you talk like you've been around forever and you're a youngster. :D

I started gigging 7 years before you were born and was gigging 7 nites a week 2 years before you were born! Good lord I'm old .... pretty much every single day of your life from your birth 'till you joined the board I had a gig and a party afterwards!
I should have said hi!

I'm SO gonna be dead soon!
:laughings:

Lol. Lt Boob was already old when we were born. :D

Here's some morning fucking around. I have this little Tascam DR-05 stereo field recorder that's pretty cool. It does a good job for what it is. I bring it to band practices and when we come up with something new it gets recorded on this thing so we don't forget it forever. So with the Plexi in the shop, I hooked up the JMP 2204 in full stack mode and set this little Tascam thing up about 8 feet away. Pardon the shit playing. It was pretty loud in here. :D

LP Traditional Pro - Burstbucker 3 bridge
Marshall JMP 2204
1960 A and B cabs - Greenbacks/G12-65s in the A - G12T-75s in the B

Amp settings:
Presence - 6
Bass - 5
Mid - 8
Treb - 6
Preamp - 8
Master Vol - 7
TS-9 Tube Screamer in front set as clean boost

Noise pollution

OK, here's a quick-n-dirty little clip with the LP > SD-1 > DSL > V30 > C1 mic....

SD-1:
Level: 10
Tone: 3-4
Drive: 2-3

DSL:
Bass: 10
Mid: 4
Treble: 4
Deep: On
Mid/Tone Shift: Off
Volume: 10
Gain: 2
1w mode

Thanks for the replies on the pics guys, I'm outta time, & gotta run!!!! Be back in about 12 hours or so....

Sounds really nice and chimy, albeit a little crisp. You get a nice full sound though from that guitar. Clean lows and shimmery highs. Very nice.

Greg ...... sounds awesome as usual. LOL . you can tell it's loud as hell! :D

miner .... nice also .... gregs right .... it's a bit bright ..... maybe move that mic towards the cones' edge and away from the center?

Thanks guys, I'm listening to your clip as I type this Greg.....Doesn't sound bad really, especially for a hand-held thing...How I'd love to be able to crank an amp like that here.....My wife would go into convultions....LOL....Sounds good though!!!

On my clip, yeah, it's bright as hell, but I'm pretty sure I could tame it down with the amp's treble knob, & the tone knob on the LP too....Like I mentioned, the LP's a lot brighter than I ever imagined it'd be...Which is good, I don't have to dime the treble on my amp to get the "bite" I like, it's quite the opposite, I've learned so far about 2-3 on the treble knob is enough....Still learning....I'm gonna get my ass in the shower tonight, & play the fuckin' LP for a couple of hours....I've been so busy with work, my Dad (who's not doing good at all to be honest guys, his in-home nurse came today & said his eyes were "fixed", & it could be days, or it could be weeks, so we're just kinda hangin' on here...I can't believe how skinny/little he is myself, terrible, terrible disease...Looks like the fuckin' goverment could find a cure, I mean, they send fuckin' monkeys to the moon & waste $$$ on stupid shit like that....sorry for the off-topic rant, just want you guys to know what I'm up against over here....) & everything, I've really not even picked it up much in the last few days...But, I'm gonna...:p....More clips to come in a couple hours or so....

Clip sounds good Gerg....:D

Thanks Greg....
You know, I've been through a lot of shit in my life, but I have to say, this is the hardest thing I've ever had to face, period...But I know it's gonna be ok, just gonna take me some time to get over it, if I ever do, might just learn to deal with it...My Dad's been great to me all my life, I couldn't ask for better parents, ever.....He did ok up until about a week or so ago, & you know, the whole time he's been sick (about a year & 1/2 now), he's not once complained, ever...And, this whole time, he's been worried about us kids & my mom, he's a good man, & as tough as they come....I'll stop now before I get all tore up....Gonna plug the LP in & get some stress out of my system....Thanks again man, you'll never know how much I appreciate you just listening....

OK, so I did play for a couple hours last night, but figured I'd post something a little different this time 'round....used the Tweaker today, & with the LP, it's a good sounding little amp....Used the POD X3L as stompboxes, with the Tube Driver emulation & some chorus on the clean parts....All in all, I think I've got a good little setup that's got nice tones, with lots of options...and, there's gonna be more options/tones possibilities before too long...

As usual, I did add some 'verb in the daw, same amount of room, but backed off on the plate 'verb on this clip....

LP > POD X3L (Tube Drive) > T15 > V30 > C1

X3L/Tube Driver:
Drive: 60
Gain: 100
Treble: 50
Bass: 100

T15: (in between clean/hot switch)
Modern
Master: 5
Brit
Treble: 7
Middle: 4-5
Bass: 10
Gain: 6-7
Bright
Tight

Off to work for now, but lemme know what you guys think.....

Back