That 80's vocal backup sound

Absolutely NOT! I couldn't these days either (damn getting old!).

I wish I could have owned stock in hair-care products back then.

:laughings:

See you in another 10 years. And maybe by then you could come up with an even more vague question. :eek:

We understand. We're just needling you because you revived a conversation from 2005.

Yes , I'm running a old school Tascam pro studio and also have a I pad air I'm lookin to hook up
It doesn't work like that. The only way Mr. Big's gain and EQ settings would be relevant is if you had Mr. Big come in and sing through the same microphone, into the same mic preamp, into the same tape machine, singing the same song and mixing on the same mixer with the same outboard gear.

In order to EQ something there are 3 steps:

1. Listen to what you have
2. visualize what you want
3. set the EQ for the difference between what you have and what you want

What is a Tascam pro studio? I tried to google it...

It doesn't work like that. The only way Mr. Big's gain and EQ settings would be relevant is if you had Mr. Big come in and sing through the same microphone, into the same mic preamp, into the same tape machine, singing the same song and mixing on the same mixer with the same outboard gear.

In the same room.

Last edited:
With the same producer and engineer, but only if everyone was in the same mood and mindset as in the past.
In other words, the piece of gear missing is a time machine.:-)

How do you get that 80's vocal sound?

First you have to wear the right clothes:

images-1.jpeg

Then get one of these:

back-tofuture-delorean-660.jpg

And while you are travelling, you can go back to 2005 where this thread started:

holy thread resurrection.jpg

Well...if you were quoting the film....it was spelled and pronounced jigawatts (purely by accident...they meant gigawatt). :)
I was just trying to be true to the movie...it had nothing to do with being important. ;)

"The film's writers Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale intended for the power to be gigawatts, but heard it pronounced as "jigawatt" and as such spelt and said it that way in the script, not learning the real pronunciation until after the film had been shot."

I think it has added to the whole sci-fi aspect of the movie...accidentally using jigawatt both in spelling and pronunciation, and how it plays in that scene. :D

Cool. I did not know that. I sit corrected.

Whoah! You want to script level. That's some serious Columbo action going on right there. ;)

Back