Tempo Changes When Using A Click

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again with springsteen? :laughings:

Just listening to it and drumming on my lap I can hear and feel that it is actually in very good time. The harmonica section speeds up a hair, but it's all close. The little break after the harmonica section is loose and drops out of time, but if you let the music come back in first by itself and then have the drums come in with a little fill it will work out fine. No big deal. I'm not drumming that shit, but I'm telling you as a drummer that that song is no problem whatsoever with no guide track at all. Any competent drummer could have a ball on that thing.

Play me drums to led zeppelins stairway to heaven, before the actuall drums come in, and then play with bonham, and well hear your recording as it fits with the rest of the music, the thousands of subtle tempo changes that occur naturally will prvent you from lockin in with it

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven - YouTube

Maybe because you know your tempo for your song, a drummer thousands of miles away doesnt

I think there's some confusion....tempo changes are always a known quantity, they are marked on the song where they occur, and any drummer would be able to make them if he knows where and what they are. The other situation is where maybe you have a tempo that needs to retard or speed up at a specific point and with a specific pace to a new tempo, etc....and that's easily accomplished by again, letting everyone know where/what, and then having everyone rehearse those sections until they can do it as required, and that too is usually marked on the music. Orchestras do that all the time, and they also have drummers playing, etc, etc....

Playing ahead or behind the beat (the tempo) is not technically a "tempo change", which seems to me is what you are talking about here. That too can be done with a click, because to play ahead or behind the beat, you have to first know where the beat is and be able to follow it....BEFORE you can play ahead or behind it.

The situation, where guys say they can play their acoustic or piano, or whatever, alone...but can't with a click/metronome, just means they can't keep time and/or they are sloppy players. All that shit about their "feel" is just an excuse for the above. If you play the same song 5 different ways every time you play alone....that's not about tempo changes.

Also...live playing by a complete band is one thing....recording tracks one or two at a time is something altogether different. If you need to have a live band interacting with each other on the fly, then you need to get all those people in the studio at the same time.

So....which of the above are you really talking about?

Without a pissing contest, the point's have been made.

If there are subtle changes throughout a piece, any half decent musician should be able serve it well.
If there are extreme changes then familiarity and rehearsal would be needed.

It would take a lot of pissing about for a drummer to actually say, "I can't play to that."

I mean, can you sing in time to these songs? It's the same thing. You're making changes on the fly. Some are instinctive; Some are through familiarity.
The only different with a drummer is they usually lead more than follow, but it can still be done.

Play me drums to led zeppelins stairway to heaven, before the actuall drums come in, and then play with bonham, and well hear your recording as it fits with the rest of the music, the thousands of subtle tempo changes that occur naturally will prvent you from lockin in with it

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven - YouTube

I'm not recording anything for you unless you pay me. I'm not auditioning for you. Take it or leave it.

But the point is that if you listen first, a good drummer can play to anything. Even Stairway. You don't seem to understand that. No one can just jump in without ever hearing it and lay down perfect tracks.

If there are subtle changes throughout a piece, any half decent musician should be able serve it well.

It would take a lot of pissing about for a drummer to actually say, "I can't play to that."

lets hear it then???

I mean, can you sing in time to these songs? It's the same thing. You're making changes on the fly. Some are instinctive; Some are through familiarity.
The only different with a drummer is they usually lead more than follow, but it can still be done.

It's probably not so much that this guy's "pro" drummers can't do the songs, they probably simply don't want to work with such a goofball.

Seriously with the prove it thing?

Like Greg said; Take it or leave it.
No one's trying to sound professional or great or whatever. They're just telling you what they do.

actually for people who dont play drums, play me guitar to any song before say 1990.

Go head and put it in your daw, and try to play with it. Im willing to bet you couldn't play in perfect time on guitar or any instrument either. Why? Because THEY arent either!

actually for people who dont play drums, play me guitar to any song before say 1990.

Go head and put it in your daw, and try to play with it. Im willing to bet you couldn't play in perfect time on guitar or any instrument either. Why? Because THEY arent either!

Or better yet, try to create a click track to it

I've done it though.
I mean, 'perfect' is a strong word, but no performance is perfect.

I did a cover of a george harrison song a while back. The entire thing is recorded to the original song.

No click, no reference. Midi drums were mapped after the fact but I had no problem with guitars, bass, vocals etc.

Do you think click tracks and metronomes and multitracking and overdubs and punch-in didn't come into use until after 1990 in the studio world...???

Seriously man, do you actually play music at all? I'm not calling you out or trying to insult you, I'm just asking. The simplest most natural concepts of performance seem to be way over your head.

Or better yet, try to create a click track to it

Dude....That's exactly what I do with a lot of things. I said that earlier.

Acoustic singer songwriter does a live scratch performance. I either choose to make it conform to a static tempo, or I map a moving tempo to his performance.

It's not even like "Oh wow, look what I did." It's standard practice.

I've done it though.
I mean, 'perfect' is a strong word, but no performance is perfect.

I did a cover of a george harrison song a while back. The entire thing is recorded to the original song.

No click, no reference. Midi drums were mapped after the fact but I had no problem with guitars, bass, vocals etc.

Well what would happen is this. You take your rhythm guitar played to your favorite old recording. or new even, and then play drums
over that, and make your own song out of it.

Its one thing to play piano and the piano not be precisely with it, but when drums are off it sounds like freakin shit

No,? they send me offers every fuckin day in the mail, theyd give the business

Lol, oh my god. Drummers are always spamming themselves. Online "drum services" are a dime a dozen. Let me track drums for you! You got their intentions all wrong. Getting things wrong seems to be a regular occurrence with you.

How did sessions musicians do overdubs?

Dude....That's exactly what I do with a lot of things. I said that earlier.

Acoustic singer songwriter does a live scratch performance. I either choose to make it conform to a static tempo, or I map a moving tempo to his performance.

It's not even like "Oh wow, look what I did." It's standard practice.

Got samples? I can verify the tempos too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back