Telecaster 4 way switch mod

calimoose

Just wondering if anyone here's done it before? I've never modded my guitar, and I loveeee my tele so I would hate to mess it up, but I like DIY work and this mod actually seems pretty doable. The whole point is to add a 4th switch that will use the neck and bridge pickups in succession (instead of in parallel) which, from the clips I've heard, doesn't sound as cheap as it costs.

If anyone's done it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the process, the final sound, and if you had any tips or dos and donts or anything like that.

Here's a video I would probably use as reference:

I would probably buy these parts and try and get them next time I'm in the US (seems they're twice as much in Europe. Quite the hassle just to save 25 bucks, but I hate buying something when I know it costs half as much somewhere else, regardless of the hassle!!)

We discussed this just recently in the new tone thread and Lt Bob's kit tele build. Start from post # 5031 and read on

I have done it plenty of times and have my tele set up that way. You have options even then as to how you choose to wire it. One ting about mods like that are that it is completely reversible should you want to revert. Especially if you replace the whole loom and plates right up as far as the pickups. For the cost I would buy the control plate and the jack socket as well and then you can just release the existing loom from the pickups and swap it out. It's also easier to wire and solder those if they are on the plate. If you want specific details just shout.

Here's my tele with the exact scheme you refer to and my own wound pickups. I made these a few years back as sisters as I love tele's and didn't have one so doubled up on a commission. I don't have any sound clips but it's my go to these days and I have a lot of options. The one in Gold fittings done exactly the same way that is with a gigging session guy he wanted the same mod..

31.jpg

27.jpg

Get decent parts. One of the major reasons people are disappointed with mods they do themselves is because of cheap components. It's worth spending a bit extra. TDPRI is a good source of info on all things tele related.

too bad I can't afford either of them!! I'd be the envy of the ball!

Thats two tele's...:)

...and the colour on your kit build was awesome. Loved it..
thanks ..... it came out ok once they got me a neck that was decent. For a little over 3 bills I don't think it could be beat plus at that price I won't mind modding it. I also now have an idea what I'd want different in the p'ups. I'll PM ya' in the next couple weeks.

thanks ..... it came out ok once they got me a neck that was decent. For a little over 3 bills I don't think it could be beat plus at that price I won't mind modding it. I also now have an idea what I'd want different in the p'ups. I'll PM ya' in the next couple weeks.

no problem LT. I'm in a strange place right now as I'm waiting on a location move and a lot of my workshops stuff is packed up. Really frustrating as I'm stuck between two places right now and cant use either properly. I would be more than able to do small jobs like pickups and stuff so keep me posted because when the move completes it's gonna be a mad rush for me to get back up to speed. Damn buyers and sellers don't have my motivation...

Back