Tears on the Mountain

DungBeatle

Going to retake the instruments on this track. Since this recording we've had some repair done on the contra bass and I'm not happy with the guitar part. Before we start on that, would appreciate some feedback on its current mix.

~Bob

Hi Bob, I like this song a lot. Are you from the South? From my newbie ears, it sounds like the instruments take center stage and the guitar is a big too jangly/trebly. Vocals are competing with the instruments so I think a volume adjustment would help. Also, maybe a more mellow guitar like a D-15? Just a few thoughts.

I would spread the instruments wider, create a bit of a hole in the center for the vocals. Contra Bass is pushing the downbeat just a touch.

Nice. Kinda bluegrassy. If I’m being honest, I don’t care for your wife’s vocal on this as much as other things I’ve heard. She gets a little harsh in spots. Bass could come up a smidge.

Hi Bob, I like this song a lot. Are you from the South? From my newbie ears, it sounds like the instruments take center stage and the guitar is a big too jangly/trebly. Vocals are competing with the instruments so I think a volume adjustment would help. Also, maybe a more mellow guitar like a D-15? Just a few thoughts.
Thanks for the listen! I'm a born Texan but I've lived all over the west. I'll work on the mix and will retake the guitar part. I can't buy a new guitar but I'll change the strings. Thanks again!
~Bob

Going to retake the instruments on this track. Since this recording we've had some repair done on the contra bass and I'm not happy with the guitar part. Before we start on that, would appreciate some feedback on its current mix.

~Bob

Pretty narrow mix - and some distortion from the bass , guitar and mandolin - they are hitting against each other - probably be solved when you widen the mix.

I would spread the instruments wider, create a bit of a hole in the center for the vocals. Contra Bass is pushing the downbeat just a touch.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll spread the two instruments (guitar and ukulele) a bit farther. I haven't added mandolin yet and that will change the mix a bit. Mandolin far left, ukulele far right and both bass and guitar down the middle with the vocal.
~Bob

I like the bass, performance and tone. I think adding mandolin and ukulele would definitely broaden the width of the mix if panned the way you mentioned.

Nice. Kinda bluegrassy. If I’m being honest, I don’t care for your wife’s vocal on this as much as other things I’ve heard. She gets a little harsh in spots. Bass could come up a smidge.
Thanks for the listen! I'll let my singer (daughter) know.
~Bob

Back