TEAC A-6010 Analog Recorder

LuLu09

Hello, I just picked up a TEAC A-6010 RTR recorder but need to know what I should use for microphones ?

Can I use my Shure SM57 dynamic mics with an impedance adapter resulting in the necessary 1/4 inch mono input
plug on the end to connect to the A-6010 ?

My TEAC A-6010 owners manual says INPUT: Microphone: 10,000 ohms ( - 66 dB )

I'm pretty sure that Dynamic mics are the only type of mics that I can use, but this ohm thing has thrown me for a loop ?

Thanks for helping me, Charles

You can use any type of mic as long as an inline low to high impedance matching transformer is just before your mic input. The TEAC doesn't provide 'phantom power so you'll need an outboard 48v supply for condenser mics. FYI - the mic inputs on TEAC machines are not very good. You would be better off using a mixer's mic inputs and sending its outputs to tape machine's line ins.

Last edited:
Thank You so much for helping me with this. I had the same idea rolling around in the back of my brain, but since I've tried something like this
I thought I better error on the safe side and ask one of you guys what you think.

And yes I have a small mixer that I can make this happen with :)

Stay well, Charles

Hello again and hope everyone is well.

OK bad bad news...My TEAC A-6010 that I recently had a couple of questions about just bit the dust. The recorder and every function of it was performing very well while connected to my 70's Pioneer receiver and my JBL 3 way speakers with a 12 inch woofer. However, I decided to take the A-6010 into my music studio and incorporate it into my set-up.

First thing I did was connect my electric guitar which has high impedance pickups on it to the high impedance Mic inputs on the A-6010. Of course being very vigilant about the volume levels since it doesn't take much to over drive those inputs.

The A-6010 recorded the tunes that I played into it and monitoring through my headphones the sound was beautiful. Everything was functioning 100%.

Then I decided to connect a line to the rear panel's L & R Outputs to my Sampson C Control which is basically like a Hub that allows me to connect up to 4 pieces of audio gear ie, my Roland VS2480, my Alesis Master Link, my Mac Book Pro. BTW: the Sampson C Control has one pair of RCA input jacks which allows me to connect things such as my A-6010. The Sampson C Control's Outputs are connected to my DYN Powered Monitor Speakers thus allowing me to listen to whatever unit I wish to hear.

Having everything connected I hit the play switch on the A-6010 and within seconds I smelled and saw a slight amount of smoke coming out the top vent of the A-6010. I immediately shut the A-6010 down, BTW, the fuse did not blow.

So since the fuse didn't blow I decided to try connecting a line from the A-6010's Headphone jack to 2 channel Inputs on the Roland VS2480 recorder and this blew the fuse immediately.

Completely horrified, I disconnected every thing and put a new fuse in the A-6010 just to see if it would power on...NO GO ! Dead
on the water as they say. So I decided to take the top vent off of the A-6010 to verify what got so hot...it was a 10 Ohm / 5 watt wire wound Ohmite type resistor mounted directly to the chassis's left side (if viewing from the rear). This would be right close to the main power transformer, near the top of the chassis behind a motor.

So today I replaced the burnt 10 Ohm / 5 watt resistor and installed a new fuse. Powered up the A-6010, so fr so good. Then I physically / manually raised the right tension arm and immediately saw the smoke again, another burnt 10 Ohm 5 Watt resistor.

However, the fuse did not blow. I quickly shut the A-6010 off and un-plugged the deck from the wall.

I'am very very sorry for posting such a long winded account here, but I'm hoping somebody will be able to guide me through a repair on this and or maybe explain why I now have one of the biggest deck paper weights that I ever had :)

Thanks for helping me and stay well all, Charles

This reply is some time later...but...one of the first things I did with my acquired A-6010 was to replace the 2-prong power receptacle with a grounded 3-prong one like is used by much of today's electronics, PCs, etc. I did this because I noticed that the metal frame of the transport seemed to be hot in some situations and even with a ground wire attached to the lug on the frame, it is too easy to reverse the AC plug and send those wires to different parts of the transport electronics. This, sadly, was how things were wired back then and now completely different. Having said all that, it's not 100% that this is what caused your problems, but my bet is it may have. Swap the power receptacle to a grounded one to be on the safe side.

Attachments

• TeacA-6010Power3Prong20231215_182719.jpg
    TeacA-6010Power3Prong20231215_182719.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • TeacA-6010Power2Prong20231215_164109.jpg
    TeacA-6010Power2Prong20231215_164109.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Back