Tavern of the Terrible

Recorded this for Halloween last year, ran into trouble and never got it out on time. This my daughter (Aarika) and me.

Aarika: Standup Bass, Ukulele, Harmony
Bob: Guitar, Mandolin, Lead Vocal
Sorta of Spooky 40's music - good job - Vocals - Maybe you should mix the daughter up a little?

Also - SUPER hot. Dynamics are being crushed. The result sounds like a recording DONE IN ALL CAPS.

:D

Back off that on the main bus ... by a LOT. You want to tighten the togetherness of the mix, not mosh it into a loud sonic collage.

Vocals need better balancing between the levels.

Bass can come down a bit, but in this song is a feature - so keep it out front. The two vocals should be right there with it though.

I'd throw the other instruments off to the side for clarity and isolation. I'd also play with short reverbs a bit to add more "live room" to this particular mix.

Cute song!

Daughter definitely needs her levels raised.

That was a fun song.

Before I even listened and just read the post, it instantly reminded me of the ‘tavern’ song in the movie “Tangled”.

Hey, maybe you have the beginnings of a career doing music for those types of films?
Certainly would fit. :)

Fun tune and well-performed! I would agree that your daughter's vocals could come up.

I also agree with K-Dub that it sounds very squashed. Also, that bass is pretty dang boomy! 😉 I know it's featured in the song, but I'd add a hi-pass on it to help tame the some of the really low mud. It could also be that the guitar is contributing to the muddiness.

Also - SUPER hot. Dynamics are being crushed. The result sounds like a recording DONE IN ALL CAPS.

:D

Back off that on the main bus ... by a LOT. You want to tighten the togetherness of the mix, not mosh it into a loud sonic collage.

Vocals need better balancing between the levels.

Bass can come down a bit, but in this song is a feature - so keep it out front. The two vocals should be right there with it though.

I'd throw the other instruments off to the side for clarity and isolation. I'd also play with short reverbs a bit to add more "live room" to this particular mix.

Cute song!
Thanks for the suggestions! I was going to work on it today! DONE IN ALL CAPS! hahaha!
~Bob

Fun tune and well-performed! I would agree that your daughter's vocals could come up.

I also agree with K-Dub that it sounds very squashed. Also, that bass is pretty dang boomy! 😉 I know it's featured in the song, but I'd add a hi-pass on it to help tame the some of the really low mud. It could also be that the guitar is contributing to the muddiness.
Yeah, the bass is doubled by the guitar an octave up. I'll try to back that off. Thanks!
~Bob

Daughter definitely needs her levels raised.

That was a fun song.

Before I even listened and just read the post, it instantly reminded me of the ‘tavern’ song in the movie “Tangled”.

Hey, maybe you have the beginnings of a career doing music for those types of films?
Certainly would fit. :)
Glad you liked the song. Doing a bit of remixing and will raise the background vocals.

Thanks for the listen!
~Bob

I agree with most of the comments: bass, bg vox can both come up. A little too crushed dynamically, and a tad harsh to my ears. There’s a few high end frequencies that could stand to be tamed. Maybe try a notch eq filter and scan until you find it (them?).

But overall nice work. Cute song, well performed.

Back